Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went tramping in the weekend, went with the son and boyfriend up the aspiring valley. It's winter here, a nice 3-day winter tramp, so pretty!

Now, there are fords to get to as you drive in to the carpark, and as we would have to get out again no matter what the rain situation and as the water was already very high, we left the car after the first ford and hoofed it, an extra 4 kilometres on road in our hiking boots, before getting to the carpark and doing the 9 k up the valley to the hut on trails.

On the way down at the end of the hike by the carpark I was tired and ready to quit. But obviously I had another 4 k to get to the car. Not more than another k up the road my pelvis started to play up. It split with my son 16 years ago, and somehow the extra distance was making a mess of it. It was flipping well hurting and there was nothing I could do, I had to carry that pack to the car and that was it.

My chiropractor today suggested acupuncture for my caesarian scar, and strengthening exercises. She said the pelvis was taking torque from walking because my abdominal muscles weren't doing their job.

The thing is: I never would have known about it if the fords had not been up. it makes me wonder what other weak spots there are for us, what other women have encountered that men don't even know exists, what are the cures?

How hard should we test ourselves to find out?

Those of us with children who might have to bug out - have you carried them on road as opposed to on tramping tracks? It hurts your feet in your shoes, and it puts your body through more. how heavy are they? How heavy is your pack?

I need to do lots more, join a gym and clean up my act. I need to be forced to walk 13km every weekend with a pack on my back till I find it a breeze and nothing aches. :D:

But it would be interesting to know what other problems I might encounter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have poor circulation and my extremities get chilled pretty quickly, especially my fingers and toes. I also bruise very easily. I don't wear skirts or shorts very often because my legs are covered in bruises all the time. A friend of mine said I looked like an 8 year old who likes to climb trees. LOL.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm overweight because I drink alot and I'm out of shape. I still lift weights all the time so I'm strong but it's actually working against me because it makes me stiff and I run out of energy faster than I should. I just bought some exercise equipment so I'm going to start some straight up cardio training so that I'm not so useless if something happens.

*Edit - Sorry, just noticed this is in the ladies section. Sorry for the invasion!

·
I FEAR COWARDS MOST
6,153 Posts
I went tramping in the weekend, went with the son and boyfriend up the aspiring valley. It's winter here, a nice 3-day winter tramp, so pretty!

Now, there are fords to get to as you drive in to the carpark, and as we would have to get out again no matter what the rain situation and as the water was already very high, we left the car after the first ford and hoofed it, an extra 4 kilometres on road in our hiking boots, before getting to the carpark and doing the 9 k up the valley to the hut on trails.

On the way down at the end of the hike by the carpark I was tired and ready to quit. But obviously I had another 4 k to get to the car. Not more than another k up the road my pelvis started to play up. It split with my son 16 years ago, and somehow the extra distance was making a mess of it. It was flipping well hurting and there was nothing I could do, I had to carry that pack to the car and that was it.

My chiropractor today suggested acupuncture for my caesarian scar, and strengthening exercises. She said the pelvis was taking torque from walking because my abdominal muscles weren't doing their job.

The thing is: I never would have known about it if the fords had not been up. it makes me wonder what other weak spots there are for us, what other women have encountered that men don't even know exists, what are the cures?

How hard should we test ourselves to find out?

Those of us with children who might have to bug out - have you carried them on road as opposed to on tramping tracks? It hurts your feet in your shoes, and it puts your body through more. how heavy are they? How heavy is your pack?

I need to do lots more, join a gym and clean up my act. I need to be forced to walk 13km every weekend with a pack on my back till I find it a breeze and nothing aches. :D:

But it would be interesting to know what other problems I might encounter.
Women are my only weakness. :).....besides that one fault I am nearly perfect. :D:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
arthritis here, me in the hands and hubs in back and hips. I keep gardening, we both keep walking and hiking. Some days are better than others, most days are pretty good. I find the more I have to dig in the yard to expand the garden the stronger my hands are and I have fewer days with stiffness and aches. I will say that when I started getting really serious about the yard work and gardening after we moved here that I had some pretty rough days. I type all day at work and the extra work at home made me really sore. Work through whatever your issues are, it's certainly worth it.

I hope you reach your goals!

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's ok Captain Dyna, we promise no electric shocks on the first indescretion. well, I promise - there's no controlling the rest of these gals!

I find in my every day life - the only thing I didn't count on always happens. Pretty much we save food, I make plans about how to lock up glass windows and how to defend the place from freaks - but if something happens and we have to leave, between my arthritis and the kid's general bitching about everything - there wont be much hope for us!

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Good thread......and probably a reminder than we all needed.

Personally, I try to work at increasing my physical strength and endurance every week. I have naturally got a high pain threshhold, which helps.

I am not physically able to be in a gym, bench pressing 100 pounds, or running ten miles a day or doing race walking. But I can still walk a long way. Takes me about a quarter mile for my muscles to loosen up and allow me to settle into my own steady walking pace. After that, I'm like the Energizer bunny. LOL I do pace myself and sit down and rest for 5-10 minutes every hour. Carry a water bottle and keep sipping from that.

Otherwise, I'm still struggling to recover from a nasty shoulder injury. Fortunately, I don't have to walk on my shoulder. LOL

You just do what you can, with what you have to work with. Just shut off the TV and get moving. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Where do I even start, it would be easier what wasnt wrong :) needless to say I have lots of health problems, including two back injuries, Asthma, Leaky Gut Syndrome and Panic Attacks, thats without the cold/heat of not having hair to control its effect on my body.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Well I have quite a few weaknesses. I need firearms training. I am over 50 and slowing down quite a bit. My upper body strenght sucks but my back is still good and my legs can take me a long way before I get tiered. I am a thyroid cancer survior and my body cannot take the cold even with replacement hormone I just freeze up if it gets below 40% especialy if it is damp. If it ever does go SHTF and I can't get my pills I won't die or anything I will just get slower and colder and duller and proly fat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I could lose a few pounds, or more, and need to find where I can hire a big ugly dude with a bullwhip and a cattle prod to keep me moving and get me in shape...an M60 machine gun would be a good idea to cut me off when I try to run away from him. I live at my BOL, so worst case would be just getting home...which is enough. My real weakness is being poorly organized.."Gee, I KNOW I have one of those (whatever item is indispensible at that particular moment); just wish I could remember where I put it! I'm pretty good with guns, have canned for years, raise livestock...jack of many trades, but can't remember where anything is, and can't seem to train my self, even after all these years, to put things in the same place twice!

·
1,313 Posts
Other than being on dialysis I'm good to go. Since I live in hell hot Texas I walk on a treadmill twice a day and add 20 seconds to my time everyday. I hang my clothes on the outside line in the early morning and stay as active as I can. My goal is the same as always...to continue to perpare for our survival and live life to the fullest til God calls me home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the process of testing for a rare genetic disorder that causes defects in collagen (so anywhere there are connective tissues is fair game: skin, tendons and ligaments, blood vessels, eyes). We think it's contributing to a pile of problems I have. I was diagnosed with cataracts at 24, had my first of what may end up a handful of knee surgeries this Spring (been on crutches more in the last three years than off.)

Other than the knees and mild chronic pain in other joints and deteriorating vision from cataracts I'm not too bad, but the disorder--if I have it--is degenerative and I'm only in my mid-20s. People w/ more severe or progressed cases frequently deal with sever pain and constant joint dislocations.

Not even counting the lack of pain meds or braces to help with joints, if all infrastructure collapsed in a SHTF before I got cataract surgery, I would go blind. I admit it worries me sometimes. At a certain point physical training only does so much.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts