Survivalist Forum banner

What is your working status?

• Employed full time and like my job.

Votes: 63 53.8%
  • Employed full time and hate my job.

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Employed part time but want more hours.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Employed part time and content.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Unemployed and looking.

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Unemplyed and not looking.

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Retired.

Votes: 11 9.4%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fall into the happily employed category, but am increasingly concerned about my future.

How about you all?

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
I am in the military and am on the path to getting out. This is the most horrible timing for this economy to flop like this. But I will tough through it when the time comes.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Same as you are. A major slowdown has hit here. The company I work for is very loyal and is likely to hang on to people as long as they can. I hoping to make it until June

·
Registered
40 Posts
im a tattoo artist and totally love my job but unfortunatly here we are governed by tourism and buisnes is very slow. for most people the choice between tattoo or food is clear. maybe i need to start giving out a can of food with every tattoo???

·
The Hammer & Anvil
3,559 Posts
I am a hotel manager of a mid sized business economy chain, I love my job but with most of the hospitality industry down 60% this year with next year looking rough I am starting to feel the squeeze. My brand was just bought by a larger brand and the larger brand has laid off 4000 people right after the aquisition while this in itself does not make me nervous it does show the hand of the owning company.

I am doing eveyrthing I can to keep my location highly profitable by making sure everyone who is employed understands what is at stake and that not doing the best they can could have dire consquences on those around them as well as their selves, that being said I could not ask for a better crew to work with and no matter what as long as its possible we will stay above the area's average and hopefully highly competitive with our regional brethren.

I hope everyone makes it through this none the worse for wear.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
I get PAID to sit at a desk drawing pictures (ok, I design buildings for a large retail chain) and have been very happy doing it for 14 years.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Self Employed and things are starting to slow now here in Texas. Just trying to use my free time as best i can. Working on house and prepping. Cause it will get worse.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
retired from one job, got tired of being retired got a federal job that isn't to bad.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am a hotel manager of a mid sized business economy chain, I love my job but with most of the hospitality industry down 60% this year with next year looking rough I am starting to feel the squeeze. My brand was just bought by a larger brand and the larger brand has laid off 4000 people right after the aquisition while this in itself does not make me nervous it does show the hand of the owning company.

I am doing eveyrthing I can to keep my location highly profitable by making sure everyone who is employed understands what is at stake and that not doing the best they can could have dire consquences on those around them as well as their selves, that being said I could not ask for a better crew to work with and no matter what as long as its possible we will stay above the area's average and hopefully highly competitive with our regional brethren.

I hope everyone makes it through this none the worse for wear.
Man, I want to stay at your place. A hotel with a hard-working, loyal staff, I'm there.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
look'n for a job. we don't have many bills. what we have is already paid for house ,car other car well we do still pay on one of the cars aswell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
work for myself cleaning homes. Grateful for my more affluent clientel, they keep me busy so I am able to pay the bills and do some prepping a little bit at a time, just wish I could do more, but I just keep plugging along and keep praying that I will be able to sell some things to help pay down debt so I can save more cash!

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
I used to work in manufacturing and security.
Lost my manufacturing job in march of 08, and relocated shortly afterwards.
no one is hiring in manufacturing in central BC right now.
Lots of layoffs, some of them permanent.:(
due to the tanking economy, i expect to be unemployed well into the new year. :(
im just glad i dont have a family to feed, and that i have savings.

peace
al

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am in the restaurant business and things are getting slower and slower by the day. We are very, very worried. I know we will make it out of this with more determination and drive but I also believe it is going to be a long road ahead of us. I'm not exactly sure if all of our employees there will keep their job or I might have to cut back on their hours. We will see alot more of the big chain restaurants closing down over the next year or two. Nobody is safe right now. Alot of our customers are scared and hurting financially cause I hear it from them everyday. It's very scary out there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
FT. Don't really like my job. Came out here (2006) with Fish & Game, but that was only seasonal - could have hopped-around a bit for FT if it weren't for travel from home. Instead, went back to purchasing for a very small store in a large grocery chain (one of the only corporate names in town). I loved Fish & Game - perfect job for me. What I do now is good in other ways, and has it's advantages.

Grocery business is outstanding right now. 40 grand is a good day for our little store. We've been on a roll of 36+ since pre-Thanksgiving - just incredible sales for us, especially this time of year.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts