Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
33,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious and I'm a little nosey too:eek::

The only thing I will be using LP gas wise will be my gas grill and my camp stove/oven combo.

So far, I have 5 of the 22 gallons and 80 of the (1 lb) canisters. I don't have one of those large 250-500 gallon tanks. I'm thinking about increasing my supply.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I dont feel comfortable talking about what i have stored but it sounds like you have plenty. If your only goal with LP is for cooking dont forget wood will achieve the same goal without the danger of storing LP

·
248 Posts
IMHO propane is just about the most versatile fuel we have access to. It never goes bad, it can't get water in it because it's stored in a sealed tank, and it's under pressure which allows delivery with no mechanical means necessary (unless the temps are under 40 below).

Several years ago I converted my vehicle to LP and I have one more I will hopefully convert this coming year. I bought my own LP tank (1,000 gal) having gotten an excellent price back then and fill my vehicle tanks with the pressure differential. It used to be I could buy LP once in the summer months and get it much cheaper but that doesn't seem to work as well now days. So I don't use it as much as I did back then. Now I try to keep the tank full (800-850 gal) as best as I can. I can also fill my bottles off of the big tank and always keep an eye out for discarded BBQ grill tanks or 100 lb tanks. Filling my own 1lb cannisters is also an option. When it came time to get a generator guess what fuel type I chose? Yep, it's a permanent install to my big LP tank and hardwired into the house. At some point I think I'd like to find another LP tank for insurance just in case I had a catastrophic loss of fuel from one tank.

Currently I'm working on converting an old 250 gal LP tank to hold gasoline. Keeping it sealed off from the atmosphere will keep any moisture from building. I've made provision for a drain valve to periodically take fuel off the bottom of the tank for things like the lawnmower, rototiller, chainsaw, etc. just to be sure moisture doesn't gather. I'll also be dosing it with stabilizer and rotating it through the vehicles regularly. Hopefully I can find ethanol free gas.

gk

BTW - LP isn't near as dangerous as many people think. I actually consider storing gasoline more hazardous. It's like anything, you need to educate yourself on how to use it. Just think of all the 'uneducated' people driving out on the highway and we still get right in amongst them don't we?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,116 Posts
I don't have as much propane as I'd like yet. But my only use is cooking also. Probably only in summer, to keep the heat out of the house. I have a few of the 5 gallon tanks full and might be getting a 100 lb tank. I also have a lot of charcoal, kerosene and wood, and methods to cook with each. It's good to have backups.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
I have been stocking up on bottles for a while. I have quite a few empties and just saw a video on re-filling them. Any thoughts on doing this? Also, does anyone know how long charcoal briquettes will last if stored properly?

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
We have a 300 gallon tank that we use now. When we were building our house the bank required an alternative heating source so we put in a furnace thus the need for such a big tank. However we rarely use the furnace so we just use the tank for our propane stove. The propane company once said something about switching it out for a smaller tank and I told my BF over my dead body. We figure with that tank we can cook for at least 5-7 years, other than that we have 2 of the 22 gallon tanks for our outdoor grill.

·
Registered
107 Posts
50pd vs 100pd

I don't have as much propane as I'd like yet. But my only use is cooking also. Probably only in summer, to keep the heat out of the house. I have a few of the 5 gallon tanks full and might be getting a 100 lb tank. I also have a lot of charcoal, kerosene and wood, and methods to cook with each. It's good to have backups.

If you do look towards 100 pd tanks just be aware that the weight, when full, is heavy and they are a little difficult to lift etc than the 50's.Like out of your trunk! If you are planning to use the hundreds and refill them as needed they are a little difficult to move around. ALso one 100 is about 1/2 the cost of two 50's at least in my area. So you can save some dollars etc by going to 100 instead of 50's.
Also fittings are different on the larger tanks both the 50's and 100's. They dont have the hand tighten quick disconnects. If I get additional storage I will get a 100 for longer term storage.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I keep 2 20lb cylinders around and few 1lb cylinders, I rarely use propane. I keep a lot of kerosene, odorless mineral spirits and coleman fuel around though.

·
Registered
33,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a 300 gallon tank that we use now. When we were building our house the bank required an alternative heating source so we put in a furnace thus the need for such a big tank. However we rarely use the furnace so we just use the tank for our propane stove. The propane company once said something about switching it out for a smaller tank and I told my BF over my dead body. We figure with that tank we can cook for at least 5-7 years, other than that we have 2 of the 22 gallon tanks for our outdoor grill.
I don't blame you, I wouldn't be getting rid of a 300 gallon tank. If that thing was 80% filled I would agree with you that you could cook for years on that!

·
68,116 Posts
If you do look towards 100 pd tanks just be aware that the weight, when full, is heavy and they are a little difficult to lift etc than the 50's.Like out of your trunk! If you are planning to use the hundreds and refill them as needed they are a little difficult to move around. ALso one 100 is about 1/2 the cost of two 50's at least in my area. So you can save some dollars etc by going to 100 instead of 50's.
Also fittings are different on the larger tanks both the 50's and 100's. They dont have the hand tighten quick disconnects. If I get additional storage I will get a 100 for longer term storage.
I have a dolly that will handle it fine, and loading/unloading it in my van is easier than a pickup, so it shouldn't be to much of a hassle. I can get the 100s easy, but the other sizes are hard to find and pricey. At least it'll be harder to steal! :D:

·
68,116 Posts
I keep 2 20lb cylinders around and few 1lb cylinders, I rarely use propane. I keep a lot of kerosene, odorless mineral spirits and coleman fuel around though.
I much prefer kerosene over propane, but it's so hard to find here and extremely expensive. There are no pumps for it anywhere in the city and I've even double checked that with the distributors.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I much prefer kerosene over propane, but it's so hard to find here and extremely expensive. There are no pumps for it anywhere in the city and I've even double checked that with the distributors.
That's kind of unreal, but in a way I understand. There's a lot of natural gas there close by so propane is cheap and cleaner. There also isn't much need for K-1 truck fuel there. It gets pretty backwards here (thank God). A lot of people here use it for heating, and the orchards use it as well. K-1 is fairly easy to find, expensive this year, but still available.

·
68,116 Posts
That's kind of unreal, but in a way I understand. There's a lot of natural gas there close by so propane is cheap and cleaner. There also isn't much need for K-1 truck fuel there. It gets pretty backwards here (thank God). A lot of people here use it for heating, and the orchards use it as well. K-1 is fairly easy to find, expensive this year, but still available.
I don't understand it. I know there has to be a source. Because for years, we were always hearing about a poor family in the colonias dying from CO or setting their house on fire because of using a kerosene heater improperly. They had to be getting it somewhere. Now they all use propane too. But I never did find their source. I even checked the surrounding farming regions.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I don't understand it. I know there has to be a source. Because for years, we were always hearing about a poor family in the colonias dying from CO or setting their house on fire because of using a kerosene heater improperly. They had to be getting it somewhere. Now they all use propane too. But I never did find their source. I even checked the surrounding farming regions.
Have you checked the fleet fueler's and the local fuel oil companies? That's bizzaro. You should be able to get jetA at the airport for about 5-6 bucks a gallon which is still cheaper than buying clean heat at wally's. I know here the local fuel oil company sells it, but they have a 100gal minimum order, and they don't sell it in 55 gal drums.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,876 Posts
Currently, I have 3 additional #20 'ers, besides the one in the grill, and am looking at adding 1-2 #100 'ers too...Those will be longterm storage and smaller one for misc grill/geni

My next major purchase is a 3500w propane genie...The #100'ers will be reserved for the genie or to refill the smaller units...

For SHTF cooking, it prolly won't be my grill, it'll be my Volvano II grill and/or my Coleman Multi Fuel (white gas, unleaded, kerosene) and a pressure cooker...

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I have a 250 gallon tank in the yard that I use for hot water only. It only requires filling once a year. I also have several 100lb. bottles, numerous 10 and 5 gallon bottles.

I buy a lot of these at auction, where they almost give them away. I bought one 100lb. bottle for $2 at an auction.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I really like propane as a cooking and heating fuel. It lasts forever is relatively cheap and easy to store. It will light in seconds with minimal effort as apposed to dealing with tinder and smoke from a wood fire.

I'm not as far along as you are with the 1 pound bottles but I have several 20# tanks. Along with the grill, propane burner stove and a firepit I should be set for cooking. I can use my dutch ovens with all of these as well. Got a charcoal grill too.

I also have a large and small propane heater to heat a medium sized living area in the basement. I really need a wood stove though. That would give me real peace of mind for the winter months.

Lowe's and Home Depot sell 100# tanks for $130.00 - I'm waiting for another $25 off coupon to get one. I also got a tank refill coupler from Harbor Freight to refill the 1# bottles.

I looked into getting a large tank from a supplier last year. you have to rent the tank and they give you a fair price for rental and the gas. My reservation was if they decide to reposes your tank if there was a crisis. Then you are SOL.

·
Aint life grand
621 Posts
A little over a year ago, I added a 10kw generator hardwired thru a transfer switch. The house was all electric but I took out the old range and replaced it with a gas stove/oven. I like cooking with gas much better than electric. So to supply the generator and stove, I had this 1000 gallon propane tank buried. I just checked the level gauge and I still have 750 of the original 800 gallons left. And I got it at $2.09 a gallon.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have 4-20lb tanks and 6 or so 1lb cans. I have an adaptor to refill the little ones off of the 20lb tank. I want to check my local ordinances to see how big of a tank I can have in town. I'd like to get a 100lb tank.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts