Survivalist Forum banner

What is your "go-to" cordless tool brand for home projects?

• Black&Decker

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Bosch

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • DeWalt

Votes: 95 42.4%
  • Dremel

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Makita

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 44 19.6%
  • Porter-Cable

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 41 18.3%
  • Other (mention in post)

Votes: 11 4.9%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will likely be a homeowner in the next year or so, and my ageing Black&Decker drill is due for replacement.

Given that most brands now have a "family" of tools that use the same battery, I wanted to get a sense for what brands the DIYers here have had the best luck with. My main interest is getting a good 18V drill, but having other appliances that use the same battery is a big plus. Feel free to note any brands to avoid!

If you use a mix of brands, check any that apply.

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,443 Posts
Normally Harbor Freight rechargeables, though I like Dewalt and Milwaukee products.
I have used many brands and most lack performace for other than hobby jobs.
when my $16 rechargeable HF drill stops I'm not nearly as disappointed as when my $100 brand name rechargeable gives up.

When doing jobs requiring hard use I use corded tools.
For corded products the grinders of preference is a 4.5" Skill or Dewalt with 4 or 5 specialty/intermittent use grinders from Harbor Freight.
The corded drills are Dewalt, Milwaukee and Craftsman.
The buffer is black and decker,
The old saws-all is Craftsman (made by Dewalt)
Routers are Craftsman and Porter Cable.
Welders are Miller and 2 Hobarts
The plasma cutter is Hypertherm.
Circular saws are Skill and Bosch.
The table and power miter saws are craftsman.
The cutoff saw is Milwaukee.

Enjoy!

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
I have been let down by every cordless tool I have ever dealt with. Period.

Al

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I use a lot of different tools for work, both corded and cordless.

However, when it comes to the more simple home projects, my spouse can easily handle a 14.4v powered drill. The 18v+ battery packs, not so much.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We use Makita and Milwaukee at work, and they have not disappointed. I have a DeWalt corded and cordless drill at home, and the chuck crapped out on both after minimal use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ryobi all the way. I had a DeWalt cordless when I used to pull cable, but replaced it with a Ryobi when I broke the DeWalt and got the same quality and performance for a fraction of the cost. Just upgraded to a newer Ryobi last year and can't be happier. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was cabinetmaker for thirty plus years and used them all. There is no one brand that excels across their entire line. Each type of tool has a brand that makes the best. That being said. Black and decker sucks on everything. I am not a Ryobi fan but they do make a few really good tools. Do some research on the individual tool.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bosch

I have the 12V Bosch driver, drill and impact driver. I love the light weight and size. I have not had any issues with not enough torque for the job.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
As a future home owner, I just want to say that you may want to look into a compound miter saw. I put off buying one for years. Now I couldn't live without one. That and a drill are probably the only power tools that I use on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Dewalt.

I've got: grinder, bandsaw, jigsaw, skilsaw, 3 drills, right angle drill, impact wrench, impact driver (love it), 2 recipro saws, and a couple of flashlights.

It's a lot easier to stick with a single family due to batteries. The only corded tools I really use anymore are hammer drills, grinders, sanders, routers, and skill saws. I don't own a general purpose drill (I've got a 1/2" 550 rpm drill, holehog, hammer drill and rotohammer.)

The grinder (Dewalt calls it a cut off tool) is very handy, and gets used often, but does not replace a 9Amp grinder, much less my B&D wildcat.

I haven't used my corded Sawall, or the 1/2" drill in 10 years.

·
Preparedness Enthusiast
49 Posts
I have a set of Milwaukee 18v cordless tools that are outstanding! I know guys that use Dewalt or Makita (professionally) and they feel the same about their tools. I have a set of Ryobi cordless tools at our 2nd home and while they don't have the same power and runtime as the Milwaukee tools, they are a great value and if $$$ is an issue you can't go wrong with them...they also make a 35w HID flashlight that is my favorite!

I think the two greatest improvements in cordless tools is the lithium battery, and the small impact driver. When to combine an impact with torx drive screws you can accomplish almost any building task. I use that combination where I used to think a nail gun was the only way to go...with the declining quality on lumber these days this has been working really well for me...YMMV

·
Builder
167 Posts
Add to the Dewalt list, but with a disclamer;

You must buy the professional line not the home-owner line, sometimes this is not clearly indicated. The best indicator is the price. You see two drills with the same specs, one is $100 and the other is $350. There you go.

What is funny for those of us in the profession, is that Dewalt only warrants this stuff for 90 days when used professionally, instead of the normal 3 years.

However, they are really easy to work on and repair and parts are readily available.

Its been said many times, but this is one area where you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Ryobi One+ 18V here, all the way. Go the lithium route but you can get the kits on sale around Xmas here. You cannot beat the versatility.

One thing I did was buy was the trimmer just for the charger and battery, make sure it is the one with the bigger lithium battery: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ON...Cordless-String-Trimmer-Edger-P2060/203223058 the bigger battery alone is $99 here.

The Ryobi Cordless saws work very well for homeowners and I have had my set since around when they first came out, not one has died so far, the Nicad batteries have in the last few years. You really want the impact drill, it is awesome for 3" deck screws. The Nicad batteries that came with mine are mostly dead but you can look up how to hit them with a hammer and zap them with the charger to get them to work longer. But My sets have lasted over 6 years so far and going strong with some heavy use. I have not bought any new ones except the lithium batteries but my FIL got a set a year ago and loves his. I have 2 of the 5 1/2 circ saws, 2 drills for the garage and one for the basement. The old flashlight is great but no longer can get it, I use it alot. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61KTJiNCLcL._SL1024_.jpg

I really love the electric caulk gun, I have squeezed hundreds if not thousands of tubes of caulk in my time and this is wonderful for exterior caulks and especially urethane caulks. (carpal and elbow tendon problems now) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Power-Caulk-and-Adhesive-Gun-Tool-Only-P310/100342145 I did have to wrap the old PL caulk tubes with electrical tape to keep them from bursting with the really stiff urethane caulk but the new tubes do not burst.

I have all the old One+ solid blue tools and they are still going strong. The saws are for lighter stuff but the 5 1/2 circ will cut a 2x4 easily with a good charge and the lithium batteries improved the power a lot. I have power Bosch circ saw and jig saw for the heavy stuff. I have a Ridged reciprocating saw and a Makita hammerdrill that was a gift but the keyless chuck loosens up when hammering alot. Bosch table saw but the contractor saw I have does not have the miter channel/slide on the left side, and I miss that. I have a small craftsman laser compound miter that is super light for mobility and a bruiser makita miter saw for the heavy stuff.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts