Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few dud books lately and want to know what books to buy next! Please list your favorite books from survival manuals, books on knots, fictional or non-fictional. Any and every book is welcome even books not pertaining to survival!!
THANKS!

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you haven't looked through the titles available from Paladin Press you might want to do that. Many good survival and military titles available there. Some duds there also but all publishers have duds and buds. There are some good titles there on the Rhodesian War of the 1960s and 1970s.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
My favorite survival fiction is "Alas, Babylon". I think it is more realistic as far as how people in towns will react to a disaster, or at least I hope it is. I like "The Patriots" but the level of preparations these guys made seemed totally unrealistic, so that made the story that much less realistic to me.
A true story I like is "The Long Walk" about how eight prisoners escaped from a Siberian camp and walked all the way to India across the Gobi Desert. Four lived through it.
Amazon.com: The Long Walk (9780094516007): slavomir rawicz: Books

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
Every time I am asked that question I always say the book I am currently reading, and in this case I am reading: "Reading the Man" by Elizabeth Pryor. It's a book about the life of Robert E. Lee.....it's an awesome book (650 pages)

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
My favourite book is The Chrysalids ( I think it was called the Re-birth in the U.S. and in one account it was called Beware Thou the Mutant) by John Wyndham. I read it (very) many years ago and since then I've bought it at yard sales and 2nd-hand books stores whenever I see it; I give it away to anyone I think will read it. My children read it when they were young, and now some of my grandchildren have, as well.

It is a post-Apocalyptic story of David Strorm, who lives his rural farming life day-to-day until he starts to see some things that don't sit well with him, including strange things he dreams.

From Wikipedia..."A few thousand years in the future post-apocalypse rural Labrador has become a warmer and more hospitable place than it is at present. The inhabitants of Labrador have vague historical recollections of "The Old People", a technologically advanced civilization which existed long ago and which they believe was destroyed when God sent "Tribulation" to the world to punish their forebears' sins. The society that has survived in Labrador is loosely reminiscent of the American frontier of about the 18th century.

Individuals not conforming to a strict physical norm are either killed or sterilized and banished to the Fringes, a forbidden area still rife with animal and plant mutations.

David begins to question why all who are different must be banished or killed. "

As a young person I read this story on a completely different level of awareness than I do now, but it remains as one of my very favourites.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I'm also always on the lookout for great writers I've yet to discover,so I can relate.
For general recreational reading, check out authors James Lee Burke
(partucularly the Dave Robicheaux novels) and Michael Connelly ( particularly the Harry Bosch novels). These are two of the best writers in popular fiction today, writing great characters and intelligent,unpredictable plots, not at all the predictable, formulaic crapola we see too much of.( though I haven't read anything recent by them).
Another fantastic author is David Lindsey ( check out "Requiem for a Glass Heart", "In the Lake of the Moon", "Mercy", "A Cold,Cold heart".)
Lindsey is quite crtitcally acclaimed, but nobody else seems to have heard of him.
I've turned countless freinds on to books by these guys,and nearly everyone of them became big fans.
Drag some old paperback/traders to your local book exchange and see if you can score some stuff from these guys, then lemme know..........;)

·
Ready for the big "push"
1,473 Posts
My favorite fiction books are from the author Vince Flynn. If you like the TV show 24, you will like Flynns series of books. The main character is Mitch Rapp, and Rapp takes no prisoners, usually.:D:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My favorite survival fiction is "Alas, Babylon". I think it is more realistic as far as how people in towns will react to a disaster, or at least I hope it is. I like "The Patriots" but the level of preparations these guys made seemed totally unrealistic, so that made the story that much less realistic to me.
A true story I like is "The Long Walk" about how eight prisoners escaped from a Siberian camp and walked all the way to India across the Gobi Desert. Four lived through it.
Yep, Alas, Babylon is a good choice :thumb:

So would be Atlas Shrugged :thumb:

Or anything by Thomas Sowell :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I hated Patriots; that book was nothing but a fifth-graders wet dream of his perfect tree fort. Every single line of the book told you what weapon the person was carrying, how it was slung/holstered, what sights were on it, and how many grains of powder & the gram weight of the bullet, FPS and drop of the round. Pathetic loser of an author-wanna-be. :xeye:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lonesome Dove, to me, is the greatest novel ever written! Even if you've seen the TV mini series (one of the greatest westerns of all time) the book is amazing. I've probably re-read it 10 or more times. Another good book to read would be "The Education Of A Wandering Man", written by Louis Lamour about the various books he happened to pick up and read in his early years as he worked as a migrant worker, sailed the seas, was broke and living on a beach, and stranded in the desert. Great ideas of the type of classics that could shape a man with no "formal" education. One of the best military books I've ever read is called "Blood On The Risers". If you're into Sci Fi then check out "Old Man's War". I loved it and I normally HATE sci fi. Good luck.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson.

Read those, and if you're not a better man or woman afterward, you're probably a hopeless case. ;)

richard

·
Good news everyone
524 Posts
Every time I am asked that question I always say the book I am currently reading, and in this case I am reading: "Reading the Man" by Elizabeth Pryor. It's a book about the life of Robert E. Lee.....it's an awesome book (650 pages)
The Guns of the South By Harry Turtledove is a nice book of Fiction. The story is about a group of White Supremacists that obtain a time machine and go back to the year 1864 and sell the C.S.A. some AK47's, MRE's and everything that they buy, they pay for in gold.
I am not one for fiction, but this was a pretty good read.

My favorite survival book is Tom Browns Field Guide that I won from Safecastle on this site during the March contest.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
My favorite is the Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. It's full of tips, how to-s, recipes and other useful information. Most of it is relevent whether you live in the country or the city. Her writing style is charming and makes for an easy and entertaining read also. I like the book so much that I've practically worn out my first copy and had to buy a second one.

Another recommendation would be the Foxfire series. Some of the books spend a lot of pages on things like raising and slaughtering pigs that many folks won't be doing, but overall, the entire series is full of so much knowledge that I consider it a complete must-have.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.