Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has a knife, fire maker, water container etc in their BOB....

What I would like to know is do you have any "comfort items" or what hikers call "luxury items" in you BOB? Something that isn't necessary, something you could live without if you had to, something in your bag strictly for a morale booster.

I have 2

A stash of the starbucks instant coffee packs. Not that I'm a huge starbucks fan, mainly because it seems to be the easiest and most packable form of coffee, that I can actually stand the taste of.

My other is a list of friends BOL. Not acquaintances or work friends, I mean the true friends that would harbor me from the law, or back me up in a dire situation.

What are yours?

·
The Scorpion
171 Posts
Your #2 I wouldn't call a comfort item. If you have friends that you trust that well, knowing where they are should be a vital part of your kit.

I too carry instant coffee for moral (really, it dehydrates you and isn't necessarily the best idea for survival, but I think being able to have my morning cuppa joe while it lasts will be a good psychological crutch).

I also carry a small pocket version of the US Constitution, a small (like 2") deck of playing cards and a small pocket Bible. The reading material is for reading as well as being used as a sort of identification if the situation warrants it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not really a big comfort person but my items are my Bible and a sketching pad with pencils, eraser and so on... I call it my art kit :) I enjoy drawing when I'm out in nature.

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
A rubik's cube. I can solve it in 30-45 seconds but I can do it mindlessly. It occupies my hands, calms and focuses me....something which I think is important if SHTF.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
a pocket flask of Jack.

dog treats

Reactions: kevinthenurse

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
i gave up my comfort items inorder to but a coloring book and crayons, a small teddy bear, and a couple of hot wheels in the BOB. the kids come first. and even if i'm not with my kids, someone else i meet will have a small child. trust me this will make things easier for them.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
i gave up my comfort items inorder to but a coloring book and crayons, a small teddy bear, and a couple of hot wheels in the BOB. the kids come first. and even if i'm not with my kids, someone else i meet will have a small child. trust me this will make things easier for them.
+ 1 to that couple crayons coloring book and stuffed unicorn and my 5 year old is just fine if I'm alone I can color also Haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great question. I don't have anything concrete, always bring as little as possible. With the exception of some marijuana, or something for a pleasant psychedelic experience.

Did have a couple 1' by 1' squares of memory foam from an old mattress we brought last year, as pillows. They ended up the comfort item for sure.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I am a bookworm, big time. I have been on a lot of trips where 30% of my pack weight was books. They used to make fun of me in the army cause I was the strange guy with a huge bookshelf full of all sorts of esoteric stuff, from Herman Hesse to Joseph Conrad to physics textbooks.
Books usually end up being my comfort item.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Books are definitely my comfort item. If i can use my eReader then I'll have a good supply of informational books as well but I'll always have at least one paperback book on me!

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
strangely inapproriate:xeye:

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
My two comfort items I have are my mom's yearly diaries one from the last year she was alive and the other from the year I was born, they always keeps me close to her

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
My little african slave who's going to carry my bob.
That's messed up...

My comfort item is a 35mm camera... Pentax Spotmatic. No batteries are necessary, but to run the light meter... who needs perfect exposure? And some film. B&W Ilford Delta 100... half a dozen rolls. It adds about 2.5lbs to my gear, but I figure if the S has HTF, then it would be a good idea for someone to document it in some manner... maybe in 100 years, my photos could augment someone's journal and make a nice book.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts