Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those folks who plan to bug out, or have bugging out as a contingency:

What is your bugout trigger?
What event, will make it so that you know you MUST bug out NOW?

Secondly, how do you know it won't be too late OR too early?

-----------------

So, for example, in our case - We plan to bug in primarily, but we're setting up a bugout location just in case.

We won't leave here until it becomes unsafe to stay. But then we have the problem of getting safely to our BO location.

A possible solution to this is to leave earlier. BUT, then we risk the possibility of leaving your stuff to looters when it may not have been necessary.

How do you plan to handle this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, for me it depends on the situation.

Natural Disaster: I'm 30 miles from home and in an area that isn't the nicest for school. So if it's an earthquake (I'm in California) I go about 18-24hours after the quake hits so I have time to both pack any extra stuff and ride out the heavier aftershocks; more importantly, I hope to get out before the looting and people are out and about as I cannot have my firearm at school. I'm in a very 'ethnic' area and white people are just seen as targets, PC-ness aside. So I want to get out and avoid the people and get walking towards home, where it is more stocked/secure.

Man-Made Disaster: Financial Crisis/Hyperinflation- As soon as Grocery Stores and Banks are swarmed by unruly people, not yet the mobs seen on TV in Post-Soviet Russia and Zimbabwe.

War- As soon as first news is heard.

EDIT: For natural disaster, it is a matter of bugging out of school and getting home. In terms of truly bugging out... I haven't got a BOL or anything major, head to local hills near water source and try to ride things out as best as possible.

That's all I've got for now...

·
ex-Infantry Iraq Vet
281 Posts
Its a good topic to think about, obviously if there are people running around in the streets it is time to go but that might be too late. I'll enjoy seeing some of the responses this topic gets

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,652 Posts
I have a pretty well thought out trigger for earthquakes in California.
I stay if the quake is local and the mag is below 7.5 (30-45 sec of shaking).
I pack the 5th wheel and spend the time to assess damage if the mag is 7.5-8.0 (90-120 sec of shaking).
I pack and bug out immediately if any quake exceeds mag 8.5 or produces shaking for more than 180 sec of shaking.

I am still working on triggers for economic crisis and rioting. I live in a small, heavily armed town in the desert and I think that I would be safer here than on the road as long as the electrical power holds out. If we loose power for more than a week I need to be moving on.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
DasBoost.. You may want to consider getting some camping gear together, and every chance you get to go to different locations you spot on a map , say within no more then two hours drive, and spending the weekend there , checking out very closely for water, possible food and a more permanent eviornment. That would be my first thought. Although I do not plan on moving anywhere, I do know where there is an abanded cabin, small , but fairly water tight where I would go.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hick Industries. If there is a quake more then 8 or 8.5, have you given some thought to the condition of the paved roads ? Most likely they would not be passible any time soon especially pulling a fifth wheel.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,652 Posts
Hick Industries. If there is a quake more then 8 or 8.5, have you given some thought to the condition of the paved roads ? Most likely they would not be passible any time soon especially pulling a fifth wheel.
Absolutely, I have scouted three separate routes leading north and east of me that do not have any overpasses. I anticipate broken concrete and surface breaks in the pavement and I am already 100 miles north and east of the major faults.

Folks in SoCal who have to cross the faults and are directly in the projected path are going to be trapped and the Katrina like federal response is more worrisome than the quake damage it self.

Any attempt to travel south or use the interstate system would expose me to a great deal more traffic and less stable roads.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
i'm ready to leave at a moments notice- but it is more for localised situations- HAZMAT evacuations, bad weather etc.
more major stuff is a little less clear cut.

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Tough call, I'm sure a lot of us sweat it.
I'm mostly concerned these days with economic collapse or close to it.

One trigger would be news of bank runs (anywhere in the USA), ATM shut downs, closed banks, etc.

I believe strongly that if you aren't on your way before the sheeple figure it out, you are SOL and much better-off bugging-in. If I leave early and it's a false alarm, I'll be making up some major excuse for missing work and calling it a drill :)

Buggin-out is the last resort for us.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
im bugging in so all i have to worry about is getting home and getting the word out to the folks that are going to be inbound to get here before i cut off acess to the roads

Reactions: Summer

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
When Turner, Soros, Bush, Gates,and every other elite suddenly leaves the country or head to the southwest US.

·
Premium Member
68,760 Posts
The only way you can pick a particular "trigger" is if you know what's going to happen. When you consider all the "end of the world" predictions made over the years, and the fact that not one of them got it right, who are we to think we will? To try and plan for a particular scenario is setting yourself up to be blindsided by things you didn't expect.

Since we don't know exactly what will happen, nor how fast, nor even what the signs will be, the best we can do is keep our eyes open, stay alert, and most of all, stay ready. If you think you'll have no choice but to bug out, you need to do it as early as possible. Bugging out is a dangerous strategy. Stay ready to bail at the slightest provocation. It's better to have a few false starts than be late a single time.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
The only way you can pick a particular "trigger" is if you know what's going to happen. When you consider all the "end of the world" predictions made over the years, and the fact that not one of them got it right, who are we to think we will? To try and plan for a particular scenario is setting yourself up to be blindsided by things you didn't expect.

Since we don't know exactly what will happen, nor how fast, nor even what the signs will be, the best we can do is keep our eyes open, stay alert, and most of all, stay ready. If you think you'll have no choice but to bug out, you need to do it as early as possible. Bugging out is a dangerous strategy. Stay ready to bail at the slightest provocation. It's better to have a few false starts than be late a single time.
some things you can get the jump on hmm gas is ten bucks a gallon today
or hurricane wrath of god is about to hit florida in a few days or theres starting to be massive food shortages iun area x and riots might break out would be good triggers if you ask me but your right theres only so much you can do i think when he said whats your trigger its more at what stage of TSHTF are you going to leave and how do you determin if its a false alarm or the real deal

Reactions: azhawk

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
When I hear that thousands of rioters and looters are marching en masse north from downtown Atlanta up I-75 we're bugging out. That's 32 miles away and we should have some time to go.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Same here, buddy. I don't have a group either, just some preps- mostly first aid and intermediate medical supplies I can help resupply a emergency medical post or CASEVAC.

My only plan right now is to keep my head down, and try to do some good.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,100 Posts
Two things would cause me to Bug'Out: One: Forest Fire. Two: Several Abrams Tanks coming up my driveway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.