Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seem there is a lot of opinions about what goes into a BOB but there seems to be even more opinions on what the BOB is used for.

My personal BOB is designed for a very long term detour from society and conveniences.

Some people's idea of bugging out may be a weeks worth of camping.

What is your BOB for and why?

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
My BOB is for our survival and convenience should we be forced from our bug-in location. Changes of clothing, fire starting, rain gear, medical/first aid, hygiene, tools/gear--it's all to help us cope and adapt to an unusual set of circumstances.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It seem there is a lot of opinions about what goes into a BOB but there seems to be even more opinions on what the BOB is used for.

My personal BOB is designed for a very long term detour from society and conveniences.

I think that's the definition of a bob or should be anyhow.
My urban bob is just that, I get a call sometimes I have almost no time and then im off driving 40 to 140 miles away guarding a store for 8 to 12 hours.

Little things for comfort, food, water, knife, shelter, medical. All the stuff that makes a good bag.

·
living county style
748 Posts
My bob is for being on the move, always moving around following the food. it has everything to keep me fed,warm,dry,safe. i also like the way it feels and looks. its a old vintage aluminum external frame pack.its so light and has big pockets and caries my sleeping bag so iam happy

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
My BOB, as you call it (for me it's just my everyday bag) weighs a minimal 5.2 pounds as of this morning. It has a days worth of food, shelter, fire making items as well as medicine, and personal hygene items. To make it 72 hrs, I always carry a stainless steel water can, and knives on my person as well as cordage. I only have 2 meals worth of food, because I I know many foods year round that grow wild here. I don't go further than a tank full of gas away from my home and this is my bug out location.
My ven is my most used vehicle is my bug out vehicle. if need be. A van converted to use as a camper on a 1 ton chasis. I have tried to carry more items, and just got in the way. I can get along for 2-3 days in what I have. If need to go into a large town, I have soap, toothpaste, and deodorant to keep the grey person look. In the BOV I have extra pants and shirt as well as a few different hats and jackets. So I can change my looks every hour if need be. With the knowledge I have, and what I have in my van, I can live indeffinately. I don't live in town though, I live 5.5 miles from the closest town which is only 785 people as of the 2010 census. So living off the land is a pass time here.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I have different kinds of BOBs.

I have two different gear belts. These are less than a BOB but far more than a survival kit. I intend to use them to augment whatever BOB I chose to carry, but can serve in the capacity of a 72 hr kit if they were all I had.

I have several of what I call "Expanded 72hr Kits" in orange back packs, in the house. I rent rooms to people in my house. Right now, all but one of those rooms is rented to members of my prep group but this is not always the case. These kits are more for short term disruptions like severe storms, minor quakes, and the like. I set up these 72 hr Kits ages ago, and have expanded them numerous times since. They are probably more like 96 + hr kits now and more than capable of meeting the needs of a short term event.

I have a number of what I call "Give Aways". These are bags full of basic essentials that I plan to use for giving away to neighbors and such, or for trade, in true SHTF scenarios. They are not true BOBs as they are in sports bags I would not want to hike around carrying. They are more of the sort of thing to be used around the house, but could serve all the capacities of a BOB if needed. I don't plan to use these myself, but easily could if the need arose. The supplies in them are perfectly good, just simple and very idiot proof.

I have what, like determu, I call my "Urban BOB". It is what I take with me when I am going to be staying in another city (say, at a hotel for work or training and such). It is geared towards the fact in an urban environ there are different levels of shelter, food, water and the like available for acquisition than in the wilds. It also has tools in it that only really have use in an urban setting (like a car escape tool designed for breaking window glass, cutting seat belts, etc). It is centered of surviving in an Urban or Suburban Setting while providing the ability to still take to the wilds.

I also have what you be considered a "mini-BOB". My INCH bag is a back pack with a smaller day pack sort of unit that detaches from the face of it. I loaded it with the assumption I would make a camp, unload a lot of the INCH to make and equip the camp, and carry the "mini-BOB" any time I am away from camp. It is equipped in many ways as a BOB would be, but is set up with the assumption I will be near or only temporarily separated from my primary camp.

I have several different levels of more conventional BOBs as well. I have them scattered throughout my home. The thought is to be able to grab one, at any time, and be able to head out the nearest exit with something in the way of gear. They are all equipped as one would think of a normal BOB.

Keep in mind two things while reading this list:

One, I have been doing this more than twenty-five years now.

Two, I use the evolution upgrade principle when I buy gear. Essentially, when I upgrade equipment for one of more packs, I don't just throw away the older stuff. Often, that piece is shifted down the line to a pack that is more of a a secondary one, then to the Urban or one of the 72 Hr kits, then to one of the belts, and so on. The number of kit I have is because, as I upgrade the gear I have, unless the piece being changed out is crap, I keep it. Eventually, over the years, I end up with lots of spare gear lying around. Instead of letting it collect dust on a shelf, I make a new BOB out of it, add it to the list for the upgrades, and place it somewhere I feel there is a hole in my "grab and go" plan for the house.

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
33,980 Posts
Without reading another of the other previous posts I will state my opinion.

I believe a BOB is a bag used to carry items that could be used to survive in an unfamiliar setting. That setting could be the wilderness, a vacant lot, in the back of a pick up truck, or in a motel room. Generally speaking, the wilderness comes to mind when I first think of a BOB and the sorts of things I should carry in it. What goes into a BOB may depend on the geographical area a person will be heading to. It should have enough necessities to make it truly useful but not so packed as to make carrying it impractical or impossible.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My BoB is large and half-empty. It's going to be a INCH bag if anything.

The plan is:
1) I get home using my GHB, dump the contents of that into the BoB.
2) I bug in as long as possible, or until late Spring, whichever comes first.
3) I move out to the secondary location, probably never to return.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

My BOB is a skinnied down version of my camping gear. Basically a camping bag without all the conveniences. When I camp, its usually for a week. Thats what I hike with and used to camping with. Might as well plan to bug out with that. Its basically a INCH bag at this point

My urban BOB is my EDC. As a graduated undergrad student (and soon off to grad school), I'm afforded some extra luxuries that many aren't because being seen with a backpack isn't anything surprising. It typically weighs 20 pounds excluding books

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine will get me out of the city 55 miles to my home. I figure 3-5 days depending on weather/season. Has enough food and most all listed already here plus my Uzi and Glock, both 9mm and 300 rounds ammo. I drive it daily, know where water can be obtained, hideouts to layover at, etc.

makes me hungry

this is giving me a headache!

Hum, new here, I tried to download how to make a knife handle out of 550 cord and it says I have to have at least 5 posts since I am new, to be able to download things here. So here goes, post #1, DON'T NEED TO LOOK AT POST 2-5, I AM JUST USING THEM AS COUNTERS TO TOTAL 5.

Read post #1

Almost there!

Ya didn't need to see this one

Last one, hopefully i can now open downloads here now, sorry to inconvenience you

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
Mine is the traditional "get to the BOL" setup. 3 days or so. And I have a bunch of caches in the area in case it takes longer or I need to divert elsewhere.

·
It's Survival Of
1,977 Posts
Mine will get me out of the city 55 miles to my home. I figure 3-5 days depending on weather/season. Has enough food and most all listed already here plus my Uzi and Glock, both 9mm and 300 rounds ammo. I drive it daily, know where water can be obtained, hideouts to layover at, etc.
An uzi? really... cool choice, but not my first. It's probably a good for the zombie apocalypse. Just jump into the herd and start spraying, but remember, its pray and spray, not spray and pray. They are impossible to aim so you're gonna need a little help.

My BOB is actually more of a GHB and its heavy on the med kits. Has stuff to make camp, and purify water etc. My wifes bag is all med (shes the nurse) and my kids have clothes. I figure if we need them, something bad has happened, and medical supplies are going to be very important. My car is also loaded with other supplies and we can swap them out in a hurry if need be.

The one thing I lack is actual trunk space. I can't carry my guns unless they are locked away, and because I drive an open SUV that means they have to go in locked hard cases... grrr. Pistols can go in the glove box though.

I am going to pick up one of those car top carriers and paint it to match my car so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Then I can make multiple bags all ready for the grabbing and get back my valuable trunk space. Not to mention saving opsec. I have noticed a few people notice my alice pack when I am loading groceries, and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. One of those hard case car carriers will give me ample space, and I can even carry my SKS and the wifes AR. All locked up out of sight and out of mind. If people that know me ask why I have it, I'll just tell me my spare tire rack broke and I keep it up there with some other stuff. It works great because my spare tire rack did brake.

As it sits now, my bag is 30.8 lbs, a bit heavy but I can drop stuff I don't need as the trip progresses. However, I can't just pickup the gear I need along the way. My wifes bag is a little over 15lbs and the kids are under 5lbs but I will make my oldest sons bag heavier to fit what we need. I'm guessing he will probably carry the tent. I don't carry one now because it takes up to much space. If I can figure out how to make wheels and a handle for the carrier we might even be able to make good distance quick and carry more stuff. The two little ones could sit in it while my wife and I pushed them. This would make the journey go alot faster further. Until we had to ditch the cart at least.

·
Registered
639 Posts
They are impossible to aim so you're gonna need a little help.
You obviously have never fired one. They are extremely accurate. They are so solid they are still in use. I've never fired the micro or macro versions so I can't speak about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Without reading another of the other previous posts I will state my opinion.

I believe a BOB is a bag used to carry items that could be used to survive in an unfamiliar setting. That setting could be the wilderness, a vacant lot, in the back of a pick up truck, or in a motel room. Generally speaking, the wilderness comes to mind when I first think of a BOB and the sorts of things I should carry in it. What goes into a BOB may depend on the geographical area a person will be heading to. It should have enough necessities to make it truly useful but not so packed as to make carrying it impractical or impossible.
This. To me, only one word comes to mind when describing what the BOB is for: survival. None of us knows what's coming but we are all trying to prepare for it. That is the driving force and, to an extent, the excitement of being a prepper; trying to cover all the bases. A BOB, to me, should encompass items that will be needed in ALL doom scenarios (natural disaster, foreign invasion, nuclear strike, zombie apocalypse, suburban uprising, etc) with a minimum of things that will only be needed in certain scenarios. My BOB has the 3B's (bullets, beans, and bandages) to get me from the moment I grab it to where I've established my scenario-specific supplies/vehicle/holdfast. Anything more than the essentials and it gets cumbersome and I'll be less likely to grab and go.

I guess what I call a BOB is probably what everyone else calls their EDC bag but I honestly don't carry this bag every day (it stays in my pickup most of the time) so I can't honestly label it as such.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I sorta figure a GHB can turn into a BOB and then into an INCH bag in a hurry.

Let's say you're at work and you've gone all out: EDC with you, GHB in the trunk of your daily driven BOV, BOB at home (which is hardened and prepped with 2-5 years of stuff). Sadly, your home is lost in the event (fire, flood, zombie hordes, EMP crashes plane into it, earthquake). All you have is your EDC and GHB in the BOV.

But you were wise and you have a secondary BOL on a hunting lease 100 miles away, so you hop in your EDC car/BOV, but it doesn't start because of EMP.

But you were wise and you have an older EMP proof car so it starts, but the roads are all clogged with cars that died in the EMP, or flood, or fire, or earthquake, or zombie horde ... so you have to ditch the BOV.

Now its just you and your EDC and GHB, you have a hundred miles to get to the hunting lease where you hope you'll join up with your family that you pray escaped whatever took out your house. Will it get you there?

* That was a generous scenario BTW as most of us do not have a secondary BOL.

So my GHB is a BOB is an INCH, JIC. 40# maybe, plus skill/experience. It'll get me home, somewhere else, or down the road.

·
Registered
22,053 Posts
As silly as this sounds, I haven't given it broken-down analytic thought.

I guess that's mostly because I don't play for any specific scenario.

Here in Ohio (and the specific part from which I hail) isn't particularly disaster prone to earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, or flooding. So any environmental disasters would have to be unprecedented, my concerns would be based around Manmade disasters: nuclear meltdown/attack/EMP/civil unrest/war/etc.

The only non-manmade disaster I would be concerned about would be a once every few hundred years event like a Carrington Event, or a once in thousands of years thing like the Yellowstone going kablooey.

Interesting thing is, in most of those events my plan would only involve about a 10 mile trek at most, which we would make as many times as necessary to carry all our supplies from our house to the permanent location. The nuclear event we'd move as fast as far as we could, but if we have to get on foot.....we're not outrunning anything.

·
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
My BOB is more of a extented Bug Out Bag ... I have no Permenent BOL, so would end up being Nomadic ... So it doubles as BOB and with a few extra added items becomes my INCH Bag ... If I am forced to Bug Out chances are I'm not going to be back after 72hrs ... I'm more a survival in place kinda guy ...

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,199 Posts
Our BOBs are designed to allow us to live off grid for 3 days to a week. Our skills and some natural resources could extend that to much longer if need be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts