Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..to acheiving the preps you would like to have?

My own are primarily family (they don't see the value of stockpiling food and don't like particularly like firearms) and the lack of time to learn new skills, such as fishing.

Others might be:

Location (like in an urban area)

Access (like not being able to start a garden or obtain supplies or firearms)

Personal (like unwillingness to invest in extensive preps)

Lack of knowledge (simply not knowing where to start or what to do)

What are your barriers?

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Money is always a big barrier to getting it all done. My family does not question me anymore. My wife wanted to change me when we got married. She found out that a person with a survivalist mindset is not one to try and change. In fact you should never try to change your loved ones. If you marry someone and they have a different set of values from yours you are in trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, could you buy a parcel of land for cheap, and slowly build a cabin or somesuch over time? I know the credit crunch is brutal, but it seems like mortgages that might cover a small parcel might be do-able for lots of folks. If your credit is OK, you might be surprised at the amount of loan you might qualify for. Just wondering!

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
..to acheiving the preps you would like to have?

My own are primarily family (they don't see the value of stockpiling food and don't like particularly like firearms) and the lack of time to learn new skills, such as fishing.

Others might be:

Location (like in an urban area)

Access (like not being able to start a garden or obtain supplies or firearms)

Personal (like unwillingness to invest in extensive preps)

Lack of knowledge (simply not knowing where to start or what to do)

What are your barriers?

HippieSurvivalist
The single biggest barrier is without a doubt limited funds. With sufficient funding the preps themselves are available, storage is available, multiple BOL are available, hence access is available, books and education are available,thus increasing knowledge, the money would also allow for time to play weekend survivalist regularly, using said preps and affording to replace what is used... Money IS the root of all evil, in more ways than we even realize...

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
In order of importance:
#1 - Wealth/Cheap Land to build home/shelter
#2 - Lousy Liberal Firearm restrictions in canada.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I really feel for you guys and gals that have family that give you a hard time. I definitely do not have that issue. Literally every family member has some form of survivalist in them (with the exception of my Mother-in-law and she doesn't care either way.)

Money is my issue. I budget a certain amount every month and get something from my prioritized list without fail. If I have a larger purchase that comes up on the list, I may have to save for a few months to get it, but I always do it. It just does not happen fast enough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1) Money: will be less of a problem after we get our family business back on track
2) Knowledge: Many of the things we'll be doing for prepping & self-sufficiency we'll be learning to do on the fly
3) Government: This is more of an after the fact barrier. If it all goes to hell I would be far more fearful of the government & military trying to "take care" of me than any number of disasters, gangs, thugs, raiders, etc.

Edit: I'm with SMM123, I feel for you guys with families not on board for, well, Survival!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts