Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use MountainHOuse freeze dried meals for camping etc. I have a supply of MREs and heaters, but in thinking about it this morning I don't know how to use an MRE heater. Is it placed in the food, or outside of the MRE pouch? I am at a complete loss here. I guess I could figure it out in a pinch, but I want to know the best way from those that know.

Also, I am just shooting in the dark on my MRE purchases. I know that some of them taste like dog-doo while others are not bad. What is your favorite MRE, or at least the ones that taste least like dog vomit after that is all you have had to eat after two weeks.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You place the MRE in a bag with the heater and water. The heater will react to the water and start getting hot.

This guy demonstrates this at about 2:53 in the video.

I like the chicken breast, spaghetti and chilimac. I wouldn't pay over $2.50 a piece either.

Reactions: Maverick88

·
Registered
816 Posts
1. you open the mre heater pouch

2. Place the unopened food pouch inside about halfway.

3. Pour a small amount of water into the heater bag (not past the line. more water doesn't make it work better)

4. put the food pouch the rest of the way in.

5. Fold the top over and lean up against something at about a 45degree angle and leave for about 5-10 minutes or until sufficiently warm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lived on MREs for 2 or 3 weeks when I returned home after Katrina. All of the pasta ones were excellent particularly the Chili Mac. Teriyaki and I believe pepper steak were good too. Some type of omlette was the absolute worst.

·
Registered
816 Posts
P.S. You can use the heaters for other things too:

1. As a hand warmer-be careful they can burn you

2. Water heater for coffee or shaving water - open the heater bag, put a little water in, and then just place the entire heater bag directly into the water source to be heated. Use about 8-12 ounces or it won't get that warm. Don't let the water in the heater bag mix with the water you are going to use.

3. be creative :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I lived on MREs for 2 or 3 weeks when I returned home after Katrina. All of the pasta ones were excellent particularly the Chili Mac. Teriyaki and I believe pepper steak were good too. Some type of omlette was the absolute worst.
bro, the cheese omelet will haunt your dreams.

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks guys. This may sound silly, but this will honestly help me sleep better tonight.

I am going to start another thread about favorite MREs.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
bro, the cheese omelet will haunt your dreams.
Notice the tabasco is ALWAYS with the omelettes. Only way to stomach them. Aslo seems like the best candy is packaged with them as an "im sorry" LOL!!! Avoid them if you at all possibly can. Your sphincter will thank you :D:

·
Registered
116 Posts
The chili mac does rule, or like you said most the pasta ones...all good stuff. Those egg ones suck. I used mre heaters to warm sleeping bag a few times.

I lived on Red Cross and MRE's for far too long after Katrina....suprised I still have a colon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've eaten more MRE's in my days in the army than I can remember. And one thing I've learned are to follow the directions....almost. Place the food bag inside the bag with the heating element. AFTER you do that, pour a little water in (A dab'll do yah). if you look on the heater element bag, there is a mark for how much water to use. Its better to do this after you place the food bag, inside the heater bag, otherwise you seem to add a little too much water. You can then place the whole shebang back into the cardboard box that the first bag originaly came in. So you can place it against a rock or somthing, to keep it from tipping over. Cause that **** stinks if it spills! All that being said. MRE heaters can be used in many other ways, least of all to heat food. Unless its really cold outside...they are kinda more trouble than they are worth, just suck it up and eat your chow cold. Then you can use the heater to heat your sleeping bag, or to make an MRE bomb.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As far as the best flavors. Beleive it or not, most of the vegitarian meals are quite tasty. The beef Stew and the Chili Mac are my favorites. The only one that Ive ever found I didnt like. I don't think they make it anymore, but the ham and cheese omlet is nasty. I've thrown that one up in a helo once. And the Captain...somthing chicken is not to good either. But it comes with a pop tart and skittles, quite a redeeming feature

·
Destroyer of Marxism.
875 Posts
Notice the tabasco is ALWAYS with the omelettes. Only way to stomach them. Aslo seems like the best candy is packaged with them as an "im sorry" LOL!!! Avoid them if you at all possibly can. Your sphincter will thank you :D:
Save a jalapeno cheese spread for your next omlete. Get them good and hot and mix it up well. You can "scramble" the egg first, then squeeze in the cheese spread. The only ones I don't like are the Cajun beans and rice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts