Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about this for a long time – what is the next step for survivalism? Will we continue to debate what is the perfect Bug Out Bag, Bug Out Location, Bug Out Vehicle, Get Home Bag, Survival Knife, Self Defense Weapon, Radio, Water Filter, Flashlight, Survival Handbook, etc forever or is there something more coming?

Two things that I really hope are coming
1.) A tool that will allow us to share information in a more professional way and allow us to build upon the knowledge that we posses. A wiki like function directly connected to the boards would be an excellent solution in my opinion since it should be free and created on the site where the knowledge is provided.

2.) A movement that don’t follow the traditional party lines and works for a society more capable of handling various forms of crisis situations. Finding sustainable solutions for energy, food production and other areas should also be a natural part for such a movement.

The first part has already been discussed and it seems like Kev is working on this one. The second part is much harder since we seem to disagree and argue with each more than were trying to find common ground. What are the basic values that we share? What can we agree upon?

I would say that there are a few things that we seem to share lie the belief that individuals and societies should be self reliant and have the capacity to handle minor and major crisis situations. So two questions: 1.) How would you like to see that survivalism develops and 2.) do we have any common values that we share?

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
It could be just me but the more I learn about survivalism the more of an independent individual I become.

Don't get me wrong, I respect every single person here and I am sure that we all here have more in common then we have with many of our own family members but unless the SHTF I am packing a one-person tent(figuratevely speaking). Even then, I would most likely get together with my clueless family members. I hope I will have enough knowledge and organisational skills to put something together. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
"I would say that there are a few things that we seem to share lie the belief that individuals and societies should be self reliant and have the capacity to handle minor and major crisis situations. So two questions: 1.) How would you like to see that survivalism develops and 2.) do we have any common values that we share?"

What a great idea for a thread!

Ready.org was an incredible development. DHS moved the whole movement towards credibility. Posters, speakers, commericals all talk about bug out bags, storing food, etc. So we have come a long way already. CERT too is an incredible devolopment.

I'd like to see a Boy Scout/Girl Scout badge for survival in the wilderness.

I'd also like to see an organizational rating system, I suggest based on school districts.
Such a system would harken back to the old Civil Defense System. So your school district would get rated for having blankets, food supplies, gasoline, etc stored and ready. I'd like to see them, included in the normal public drills. Many private organizations drill like hospitals and police. I'd like to see the private sector let into the goverment drills.

We have already come a very very long way in New York. Few do not have go bags, stored foods etc.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What we call survivalism today was just plain living a few decades ago.
We, as a people, probably most of the Western world for that matter, have lost touch with the Earth, the skills of putting food on the table, the connection to the seasons, the ability to make and do.
Its an attempt to regain the self-reliance that people used to have.
We live in a world of contant and intense change. I think in many ways, we want to slow the destablizing times we live in. We want common-sense laws,
to create with our hands, to feel in synch with the flow of nature. We're alienated from not only the Earth, but from each other.
Maybe even the word survivalism fails to do justice to the sense of what we're all feeling. It sounds so militant and last ditch compared to saying we crave to be self-reliant and living in harmony with the planet and community.
Just my thoughts for the evening.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I have been thinking about this for a long time – what is the next step for survivalism? Will we continue to debate what is the perfect Bug Out Bag, Bug Out Location, Bug Out Vehicle, Get Home Bag, Survival Knife, Self Defense Weapon, Radio, Water Filter, Flashlight, Survival Handbook, etc forever or is there something more coming?
My opinion, if your still talking about those things, your not really developing or growing as a survivalist.

"Survivalism" can be compared to entering puberty - at first your not sure of things, and whats going on. But after awhile you get a grasp of the situation, and move past the training bras and raging hormones.

I see survivalism as an incorporation into my daily life, and not really an extension of it. Its like I get in my truck and drive to work. I dont have a special truck for when its raining, or foggy outside.

Some people see their lives as a circle, and survivalism as a branch off that circle.

I see survivalism as a circle inside my circle of life.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
While I prepare my family to survive and continue to gain knowledge to aid in this goal. I also try to think of ways to build after SHTF, more in the comunity direction. If everybody put something at their BOL that could be used more along the comunity setup and not just for you or your family things will be easyer down the road. Crazy thinking of down the road, sounds like something a Survivalist would try to do. LOL

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
What we call survivalism today was just plain living a few decades ago.
We, as a people, probably most of the Western world for that matter, have lost touch with the Earth, the skills of putting food on the table, the connection to the seasons, the ability to make and do.
Its an attempt to regain the self-reliance that people used to have.
We live in a world of contant and intense change. I think in many ways, we want to slow the destablizing times we live in. We want common-sense laws,
to create with our hands, to feel in synch with the flow of nature. We're alienated from not only the Earth, but from each other.
Maybe even the word survivalism fails to do justice to the sense of what we're all feeling. It sounds so militant and last ditch compared to saying we crave to be self-reliant and living in harmony with the planet and community.
Just my thoughts for the evening.

And, excellent points, too. You've given everyone important things to think about. Thank you.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
My opinion, if your still talking about those things, your not really developing or growing as a survivalist.

"Survivalism" can be compared to entering puberty - at first your not sure of things, and whats going on. But after awhile you get a grasp of the situation, and move past the training bras and raging hormones.

I see survivalism as an incorporation into my daily life, and not really an extension of it. Its like I get in my truck and drive to work. I dont have a special truck for when its raining, or foggy outside.

Some people see their lives as a circle, and survivalism as a branch off that circle.

I see survivalism as a circle inside my circle of life.

"...survivalism as a circle inside my circle of life." That is just outstanding. I really like that definition. Thank you.

·
Proud Patriot
809 Posts
I think Kev nailed it. I don't usually think along the same lines as the OP. I grew up in a family that "prepped" so to speak, and I guess it's just a natural part of my life now and has been for many years. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't have to think about it much. It just is what it is.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
My hope is that the 'Blitz mentality' of everyone pulling together to survive is built on and that children instead of acting in violence and thuggery brought on by insecurity instead build confidence and love in themselves to do great works that lies within each one of us.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Personally, I am planning on making more videos and experiencing new challenges.

I like to do reviews of things, and I had a few things in the works.

Last Saturday I went a new direction and discovered a cut away.

My goal is to explore as much of my woods as possible, and to make the perfect BOB. So far, mine is far from perfect.

·
566 Posts
...seems the more I prepare for *whatever*, the less I think of it as survivalism and more as a practical matter. For me, the next step is to become less anxious about *whatever* and settle into this routine of being frugal / smart with our money, time and resources.

I like KaBar67's idea of community disaster plans...not a plan on a piece of paper buried in the city planner's office - but an active plan. This would take community support and volunteers - and (sadly) I don't see this kind of thing happening any time soon...at least, not in my area.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
"

I'd like to see a Boy Scout/Girl Scout badge for survival in the wilderness.

Kabab Not flaming you but, the Boy Scouts do have a wilderness Survival merit badge along with many other merit badges that cover lots of useful info for surviving IE First aid, camping, pioneering, forestry, nature, just to mention a few The list goes on. :thumb:
Scouting was one of the best things I have ever done.:)
Now back on Topic.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
The problem I see with the independent movement you mentioned, is that the liberal media will immediately attack it. They do this with everything they don't agree with, in order to sway public perceptions.

Just think of the negative connotation that the word “survivalist” has been saddled with.
Every time the word is mentioned, the public perception is of someone who would shoot at the neighbors kids for getting too close to their chicken coop.

To even suggest that a person be responsible for their own actions and accept at least part of the responsibility for providing for himself during a crisis is guaranteed to draw the media's fire. This puts the new movement on the same plane that we're on now, without having accomplished a thing.

There may be a way to foster positive public perceptions with this movement before the media attacks begin, though. If you could get some “like minded” celebrities to become spokesmen for the movement, it just might have a chance.
It would have to be very popular celebrities that the media would not want to challenge, not some flash in the pan goober or big chested bimbo. People that even the media respect.

Another way might be to, dare I say it, get the government on board with the idea.
If FEMA's new honcho could be convinced to do more than PSA's about bug out bags and start a program of real life, disaster preparedness education for the civilian population, it would lend credence to the movement. Then the media would stand down.

How to make these things happen...I don't have a clue.

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
It could be just me but the more I learn about survivalism the more of an independent individual I become.
I couldn't agree more. Years ago I started my own business because I wanted to create economic freedom and independence for myself. That has largely come true, but it is always a work in progress. When I stumbled across these boards and started learning, I discovered an entirely new level of freedom and independence I had not known before. For me there is no going back.

We, as a people, probably most of the Western world for that matter, have lost touch with the Earth, the skills of putting food on the table, the connection to the seasons, the ability to make and do. Its an attempt to regain the self-reliance that people used to have.
I agree completely! For more than a few years now I have worked hard to become "in tune" with each season and appreciate and live within each one. It has worked well.

The problem I see with the independent movement you mentioned, is that the liberal media will immediately attack it. They do this with everything they don't agree with, in order to sway public perceptions.
With all due respect why do you care what the media thinks of you or the movement?

Part of the freedom I was talking about we get from becoming survivalists is to gain freedom and independence that can't be bought with any amount of money. I will not even sacrifice a fraction of that freedom by yielding it to liberals or their lap dogs in the media. They can think and say whatever they want I don't have to listen or even give it the time to think or listen to that crap and none of us do. I would make that the first order of business; dismissing whatever they say and think and not giving them any power over me or wasting my precious time reading, listening, or watching their worthless opinions.

Becoming a self employed, entrepreneur, and survivalist has created a lifestyle of freedom, independence, and self-reliance others only dream about. For those of you that haven't started yet, jump in the water is warm :)

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
If you want a society that is more capable of handling a crisis, you'll have to get more people involved in the whole preparedness thing.
If the media starts trashing the idea, you're not going to get many people involved.
The sheep go where they are led and when all they hear is negative this or negative that, they will develope a negative opinion of the given topic.
Most people don't want to be a part of something that they have a negative opinion of.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Flame Away!

Kabab Not flaming you but, the Boy Scouts do have a wilderness Survival merit badge along with many other merit badges that cover lots of useful info for surviving IE First aid, camping, pioneering, forestry, nature, just to mention a few The list goes on. :thumb:
Scouting was one of the best things I have ever done.:)
Now back on Topic.
Just getting into it at Tiger Level so excuse me.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
What we need is a really good manual that covers all the various points on survival. It should be well written and have good photos that show step-by-step plans for issues. It should be done with color photos. Different groups have their own survival manuals like the Special Forces Manual, the Ranger Handbook and so on. What we need is a good, basic survival manual for civilian needs and specific to the U.S.

Anything else like @SuvivaWiki is a good idea until the internet plunges into the abyss. But the thing about a manual is that it remains there forever. Same thing for YouTube type videos too as they rely on electronics too. So now Kevin can copyright the term/word SurvivaWiki for us to use as our own forever and a day.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts