Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the longest you and/or your group has lasted solely on your supplies? I am not talking about being a hermit; external human contact is fine. If you have a self sufficient farm and go to town to jaw and have a beer that is fine. I am also not necessarily talking about pure survival; if you horse camped for three months in the mountains that counts too. Otherwise you have to subsist 97% on what you store or produce. I would really like to hear about your situation and how you handled it.

For me it is maybe a week while snowed in. We just kept the wood stove going, ate as normal from the `fridge, and dug a lot of snow.

This is an "I did" thread not an "I could" thread.

Thank you in advance.

·
one prep closer...
408 Posts
the longest that I've been so far is about 1 week. I've done this on a few occasions such as hurricanes, backpacking, car camping, etc...

I handled these situations simply by planning and preparing for them.

we had a few days warning about the hurricanes and we already had preps for them, so they weren't bad at all. lot's of board games and battery-powered radio.

as for the camping/backpacking I plan for the number of days that I plan to be out and add a couple of days worth of extra food (just in case I'm out there longer than expected). the extra food has come in handy on a few trips. first of all, it adds a little variety to choose from. and second, there have been a couple of times that we decided to stay out another day and having the extra food allows that flexibility.

·
Just a Squirrel
229 Posts
We did 23 days during Hurricane Wilma. We weren't preppers at that point, either, we just bought smart as soon as we saw the active hurricane season starting up.

I think we did get chainsaw blades at one point during the 23 days, but I don't even remember getting fuel. I think we did it all in the five days before the storm. We had a generator, so I was able to keep our freezer and fridge cold.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I regularly do 2 week hikes with no resupply point. Mostly I do this because I like to prepare my own dehydrated meals. My pack is currently loaded with all my gear and at least 2 weeks of food, although my next hike should take me closer to 3 weeks.
Also while living in Helena MT I did a month in the mountains with no resupply.
I have even done 3 days with absolutely no supplies, just the clothes on my back (worn out jeans, nike hiking shoes, tea shirt, underware, no socks).

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
I have even done 3 days with absolutely no supplies, just the clothes on my back (worn out jeans, nike hiking shoes, tea shirt, underware, no socks).
I want to hear more about that!

Reactions: Macumazahn

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
We went a month. We were so broke we had too.

Ever since that, my little "hobby," has become one of my wife's passions. She often reads on here, although she created an account she doesn't post. She normally uses my account. She has become a prepper, instead of just on the side lines.

For those of you that haven't involved your spouses, I encourage you to do so, it makes life much easier.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Just finished 30 days, to cycle out a lot of old dates. Right now I have a big plate of rice smothered in Pork dripping gravy. TSHTF it would be venison gravy. Not much different at all since I cut the pork myself.

Stock what you eat and eat what you stock. then you know exactly how long it will last.

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
Two months. Went to Oklahoma for a dry watchman's job. It was delayed a bit, and then the monthly pay was on the 20th of the month following the month you worked. So by the time I got my first assignment and then got paid for that month, I'd been two months on what supplies I'd brought with me in the travel trailer.

·
I have control issues
5,983 Posts
A month. back when lhusb and I were first in the Army, we only used to get paid once a month, so I did my shopping on payday, then had to make do with that and nothing else. Fortunately, I grew up in a Navy family, so was well prepared for once monthly stock-up trips. (oh, and having been taught by a mother who was a Navy wife who grew up during the Great Depression and who went through the rationing of WWII, I always kept about 2 months worth of food on hand--The military was infamous for fouling up pay, and you'd get a pay stub saying "No pay due"--you either lived off what you had, or went hungry)

·
Registered
553 Posts
When I first bought my land I was so broke I could only live with what I had. I spent many a day wondering if I had made the right decision. Anyway I bought the land in April of '86 and lived in an unisulated trailer with only what I had fit in my scout and on my trailer until the next May so, around 13 months is the longest I've lived without restocking.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, lone_squirrel it looks like you have the record so far. (I will reserve judgment on the 4 year claims until more information is provided.) Did you you get a crop in that first year or were you preparing the land? What kinds of food did you have packed into your scout?

@IceFire - "No pay due" ouch. Got to love those bureaucracies.

@Jerry D Young - I always liked the idea of a more nomadic existence but I am sure it was not nearly as romantic as it sounds. Did you have to cut back to short rations or did you expect a SNAFU and come well stocked?

I am surprised no one has chimed in with a boat story. I would have thought someone here would have been bobbing around at sea for a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts