Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of small scale survival kits and they all seem to have different items. I have worked with survival experts in the past to identify a set of items that would meet all the requirements of various survival situations and there are literally hundreds of potential combinations that have been suggested by survival experts. My question is, would you purchase an assembled tin style pocket survival kit if it was assembled with top quality components (mostly US made and some mil spec) at a good price? If so, what items would you like to see in your ideal pocket tin style kit? Also, what price range and uses would you consider such a kit for?

We are looking into designing some new kits that take customer desires into consideration. I think that too often when this type of kit is assembled by a company, what customers want is not considered. I know what survival experts suggest, now we want to know what the end user would like to see most. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
There are so many variables to you question. With increase in quality the price jumps dramatically, so estimating a cost is almost impossible.

Some options of basics that you want with you:
knife
something to make fire (More than one method is best) & tinder
small fishing kit
something to purify water
small first aid supplies (Bandaid, antibiotic ointment, tweezers)
compass
sewing needle & thread (Can magnetize needle to be makeshift compass)
space blanket
poncho
sunglasses (a must for winter snow blindness)

The list is endless. I do suggest making your own. The pre-made ones are usually filled with super cheap Chinese made junk.

Hunt around, you might find a reasonable kit that you can add your own items to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There actually are a few great US made item filled kits currently available. We have sold some in the past. I was more curious about the items people would like to see in this style kit. The ASE/ Best Glide kits are things I am familiar, and I have always been impressed that they use many mil spec, US made, and NATO approved items. I have built out kits on a professional basis for customers, but was hoping to get an insight into what customers would really like to see from this style kit.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
The ideal kit is one that you make to suit your specific needs depending on your environment, travel mode, local laws, and etc.
There is no such thing as a commercial ideal kit, nor can there be. There are some that have items that make a good start on which to build your own, but many do not even do that.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
some ideas

leave the knife choice to the idividual to add to the kit.

Water-
straw water filter
purification tablets
platypus 1 liter collapsable bottle

Cordage-
50 ft 7 strand 550 cordage
GLIDE brand dental floss 10 meter travel sized tin round (light & compact)

Fishing Kit-
50 yards 6 lb fishing line
10 fish hooks (for fishing and trapping animals)
10 small lead BB shot fishing weights
1 or 2 fishing yo-yos to fish automatically

Shelter-
1 55 gallon clear or black plastic construction grade garbage bag
1 good quality space blanket or bivy bag

Fire-
1 steel spark rod with striker
1 bic lighter

Food-
3 or 4 small size Thompson brand snares
4 - 6 laminated cards double sided, showing real photos and description of the most common edible wild plants and how to prepare them.

Light-
2 chem-light sticks
1 small photon type flashlight

Navigation-
small Silva compass

Signalling-
1 indestructable plastic type signal mirror
1 fox whistle

First Aid-
2 small packets Bactracin anti-bacterial ointment
4 bandaids
4 butterfly wound closures
1 packet Quick-Clot product
1 small bottle DEET bug dope

Mess kit-
1 stainless steel or aluminum cup or small pan to cook with
1 Brunton titanium Spork
1 small back-packer sized salt shaker of salt

Now... can i get one of the first run kits for helping?? LOL :D:

-------- Eric

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Bigger than a pocket. Can be cut down for specific situations.

SAS Essential Survival Guide pocket edition
Mag-Light Mini-Maglight 2 AA cel w/TerraLux 5 watt LED
Energizer AA ultra Lithium battery
Swedish fire steel w/striker
Lifeboat matches
Wet Fire Tinder (8 cube pack)
leather boot lace to make fire bow
2 Daytrex 4.2 oz water packet
Katadyn Micropur MP-1 tablets (30 tab/30 quarts)
Survival straw water purifier
Nalgene 38 oz stainless steel bottle
GSI 18 oz stainless steel cup (nestles)
2 10x4 molle water bottle carrier
Storm whistle
whistle or knife lanyard
Starflash 2x3
emergency hooded space blanket
light weight space blanket bag
100' hank coyote brown 550 cord
P-51 can opener
4 beef bouillon cubes
4 Millennium energy bar
Thompson 2 snare kit
Explorationprudcts.com freshwater fishing kit
gill net
Wenger Survivor swiss army knife
Esbit stove
Esbit stove fuel package of twelve tablets
length of Gorrila Tape
pocket chainsaw
4 contractor HD garabage bags
2 Best Glide Military 6" Emergency Bandage
12 Medique Medi-Lyte heat relief tablets (50/2pks)
4 alcohol prep pad
3 6-pk / box Chloroseptic throat lozenges
4 Pepto Bismol 2/pk
4 Excedrin 2/pk
1 Charmin To Go 55 sheet pack

Some extras, depending on the situation;

TruFlare pen flare launcher, 12 flares, pouch
1" wide x 200' orange survey tape
brown jersey gloves
12 Zip-lock bags

Just my thoughts on the matter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EdD70 I agree with you 100% (that is one of the resaons I sell a lot of different kits). I should amend ideal to say best possible general kit, unfrotunately I can't. I am one of the biggest advocates of supplimenting (I don't believe in expensive knives being included with kits because I think people should add their own knives/ multi-tools). Poket kits realistically should be supplimented by some form of shelter supplies and food rations at the very least if you going to be more than 15 miles from the nearest house. I also think that people who spend a lot of time in the outdoors should have an Every Day Carry kit in addition to a survival kit. I view a pocket survival kit as an in case of emergency open tool that is supimented by an EDC which you could use in both emergencies and everyday use such as a good multi-tool, maybe a decent fixed blade, or even perhaps a high quality folder. Below is an example of a pretty good pocket kit (one of the best pocket hiking survival kits on the market) that includes a lot of US made components and a case that is water tight and durable It is small enough to fit in a pocket, yet versatile enough to replace much larger kits. It retails for $35.95 (I have sold it for $29.99 in the past) and it is assembled in the USA. What are your thoughts in general on this type of kit and is there anything specific you would like to see added or deleted for a kit of this price range? Would you ever consider buying this type of commercially produced kit? Keep in mind that a tin style kit can easily be suppliments with emergency blankets, a survival stove, or other items that can easily be thrown into a pack.

* Adventurer Pocket Survival Tin contents include:

(1) Weather Resistant Tin Container Includes Rubber Seal
(1) Adventurer Button Compass NATO/U.S. Military Issue
(10) All Weather Survival Matches NATO/U.S. Military Issue
(1) Derma Safe Razor Knife U.S. Military Approved
(1) Sewing Kit w/6 Safety Pins Assembled in USA
(6) MP1 Water Purification Tablets U.S. Military Issue
(1) Adventurer Survival Whistle SOLAS/NATO Approved
(1) Mini Survival Fishing Kit Assembled in USA
(1) Vinyl Tape Waterproof Kit Seal
(1) Type 1A Utility Cord U.S. Military Approved
(1) Brass Snare Wire Trapping and Equipment Repair
(1) Emergency Signal Mirror Daytime Emergency Signaling
(2) Beeswax Candles Made in USA
(1) Compact Flint Fire Starter w/Striker Adventurer Series
(3) Fire Starter Tinder Tabs Adventurer Series
(1) Adventurer Fresnel Lens Fire Starter Adventurer Series
(6) Band Aids/Butterfly Bandages
(1) Pocket Wire Saw Made in USA
(2) Industrial Grade Tie Wraps
(1) Water Bag
(1) Survival Instructions Made in USA
(1) Pencil
(1) Silica Gel Desiccant Moisture Absorbent
(2) Survival Instruction Labels Made in USA

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Pocket sized I don't expect much more than maybe 24 hours of use:

- The container itself needs to be waterproof and suitable for use as a drinking cup I can use to collect water and then drop tabs into. A high strength plastic with a folding square or polygonal end, and a ziploc on the other.
- Kit broken down into sub elements in plastic baggies.
- Small 1st aid kit: single use salve packets, band-aids, pills/tabs
- Needle & thread
- Hooks & line
- Water purification tabs
- 1500+ calories of nutrition with vitamins (powder or bar).
- Poncho
- mini-surgical razor
- WP matches
- small water resistant paper fold out sheet with instructions on use of above.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i edc a rappeling grade carabiner with a kit on there. copied dave canterbury's edc kit. dont think i would carry anything other than that. ithangs from my belt loop instead of being uncomfortable in my pocket.

·
Rather be outside than in
733 Posts
Well I have already posted this but this my everyday kit;

I just put together a small kit for everyday carry. I just got a new sheath for my leatherman that has three small pockets. So for the two smaller side tube style pockets I put about sixteen feet of twine that is rated to a 275 lbs and the other I have my flint steel. The front pocket I have put a small fishing kit that has some line two hooks, three worm lures and a couple sinkers. I also have a couple cotton balls for some tinder. Now considering that I have to dress biz casual for work I feel this is a good kit.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Since most people tend to build a pocket kit to suit their specific needs, why not offer a package deal and start with an empty container. Then, the buyer can choose their specific items to go in the kit. Sort a like build-a-kit or something. Offer the options as they purchase.
Thats a great business idea!

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Thats a great business idea!
Of course it is. I thought of it. :D: Seriously, though. To me, I've always built my kits and never understood why companies did not offer something like that.

To further expand, I'd offer the build-a-kit thing as a set price but with as many choices as possible. Here are some examples:
- Offer several different methods of making fire, but the kit will support up to two (any more than two would be extra).
- Some prefer paracord, but I prefer 120# spiderwire in my pocket kit (can carry more in less bulk).
- Offer several different ways of water purification, but provide only one with the kit (any more would be extra).
- Some people prefer alcohol prep pads but some don't. Offer them as a choice but don't make them mandatory.
- I do agree with your thoughts on the knife, but other people may not. Offer small knives as a choice but don't make it mandatory. Lay out a choice of having a knife like the M40 10 cent survival knife, or a small folding knife, or even razor blades.

Another example would be something like this: Say you have a set price on a survival kit. You list 100 choices, but offer the kit with only 20 items and the customer can choose the 20 items out of the list. Anything more than the 20 items would cost extra.

There are many more things I and others could think of for something like this. It would take some thinking out, but I think it would be very doable. And if you offered already assembled kits, you would be able to market to the masses (already assembled kits to the casual users and the customizable kits to the more hardcore).

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a market niche for durable and reliable survival tins or not. Can you do it at appropriate cost:benefit? That remains to be seen. It would be wise to sell more than 1 type of tin. You could market according to different climates, and it would give you diversity to jazz up a website with.

I say "tin," but I'd prefer a thin stainless steel. An altoids tin is the perfect shape. It rides in my pocket and doesn't potrude. I wouldn't want to EDC a survival tin if it weighed more than 8 ounces. A wilderness survival tin (you could expand and make urban tins, or tins for different scenarios, like nuclear fallout, WROL, etcetera) should address the priorities of survival, which are rescue, shelter, fire, water, and food.

Obviously you won't be able to fit a sleeping bag in an altoids-sized stainless steel container, so shelter is out of the equation. You may be able to fit a cutting tool that you could make shelter with, but I suspect that the type of person who would EDC a survival-tin would already have a knife on them. A bic lighter would be a great inclusion, but, then again, why not just carry one around in your pocket? Sure, you could include a firesteel, but why would I use that if I had a bic lighter in my pocket? Matches are lightweight and in some cases more useful than a bic lighter, but not many. And thus, the fire and shelter aspect of a survival tin become negated by carrying a good pocket knife and a bic lighter or two. With fire and shelter out of the way, we're left with rescue, water, and food.

So, matches are a go.

Water purification tablets are a great idea. They're lightweight and will give you a good couple of liters of water.... If you have something to carry it in. A plastic bag would be an appropriate carrying container, but it would have to be thick enough to actually function (water is heavy, and the plastic will inevitably hit things), and thin enough to fit into our stainless-steel container. If you can find a plastic container that DOES fulfill these criteria, it is sure to take up half of the space of the stain-less steel "tin." You can't fit a water filter. The container itself could be used to boil small ammounts of water at a time, which would be tedius as hell, but would probably keep you alive.

So, water purification tablets, plastic bag, and the stainless steel containor itself are a go.

That leaves rescue and food. Food is a no brainer. You won't be able to fit a firearm or bow and arrow. Fishing tackle is the only way to go. Maybe a small candy bar for some "I've-hit-the-wall" energy boost.

So, small candy bar and fishing tackle are a go.

Resue: Signaling mirror? Whistle?

Man. It seems like survival-tins really are just a waste of time if you have the knowledge and carry a knife and bic lighter every day. Consequently, you'd be marketing to the "fad" survialists, as I call them, which means you can make cheap products and they won't know the difference (Exhibit A: The infamouse wire saw). And, since the only differentiation between what you would be selling and what is currently being sold was the quality of the product, your marketing strategy is null and void.

If you want to break into this world of "pocket survival tins", I'd focus on making different tins for different environments. I think that, if there is any unclaimed money in this business, it is in that field. Your marketing strategy then becomes: "Sure, you've got a survival tin, but do you have a survival tin local to YOUR environment?"

I just saved you thousands of dollars, the LEAST you can do is break survivalistboards.com off a little of what you saved. :thumb:

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
(Exhibit A: The infamouse wire saw)
Hey, don't tell me this are useless, I just ordered Coghlan's wire saw on ebay!

Why to focus on a pocket sized tin, I don't use that, I use EDC pouch that has LOTS of space and still gets easily inside my every-day bag...

Stuff you can sell in EDC pouch:

Rescue:
-Whistle
-Mirror
-Lightstick
-Emergency blanket
-Flare
-LED flashlight

Fire:
-Firesteel
-WP tinder
-WP matches
-BIC

Water:
-Purification tablets
-Water bags (thick enough)

Other:
-foldable knife
-Paracord
-TP
-Energy bar
-Marker
-Duct tape
-Bandana
-Small sewing kit
-Small fishing kit

and so on and on and on!

That will give a serious advantage on any scenario that I can think of, anywhere.
and its not too bulky.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Here is what I carry every day distributed in my wallet in one pocket and the other three dress pants pockets or worn on my wrist.

Some of the items are attached to a jangle of keys on key rings, some slid into pocket sin my wallet along with my credit cards, and the rest in two cloth pouches. One pouch came with a Jabra bluetooth headphone and the other I got from the boy Scout store and has a velcro'd and zippered pocket and is designed for a compass.

single edge razor blade,
bobbin of fishing line
fishing line leader
fish hooks,
LokSak baggie (1qt.)
small coil of stainless steel wire
safety pin
flash drive and card with personal documents & survival reference material
2 Aspirin
2 Tylenol
2 Ibuprofen
(in EDCDepot's small containers)
card sized 5x fresnel lens,
2 Bens insect repellent pads
Pocket Survival's folding hack saw
2 alcohol pads,
4 Katadyn water purification tabs
2 band aids
electrical tape wrapped around nail
extremely (very) heavy duty tin foil (from very old Air Force survival kit)
Nano StreamLight LED flashlight
Leatherman Squirt multi tool
10 ft. 500 paracord wrist bracelet (to be changed out to longer ankle bracelet worn under socks)
Slim Rescue Howler whistle
Boy Scout magnesium fire starter
Ritter's Rescue Flash signal mirror
small square of moleskin
short pencil
quarter sized canister of floss
.5g single use Krazy glue
needle (eye is large enough to take floss)
spare cellphone battery for each cellphone (2)

The advantage of spreading this out into thin cloth cases or into my wallet in my pockets is that none knows I have this stuff, other than the few item attached to my key rings which also have my rewards cards and have to be pulled out of my pocket every so often or to unlock doors

1 - 20 of 54 Posts