Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gumped over a Buck X-Tract LED Flashlight Tool and wondered what could actually the multitools of the future bring us, what kinds of different gadgets could fit into a one tool.:rolleyes:..like, wound healer (from startrek), laser, firestarter, some kind of free energy dings, memmory steel screvdrivers and such, flashlight:thumb:, knife, and al that other usual stuff_

Do you know of any new technology that could be interesting within this?!!!

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Hmmm....interesting question.

A multi-tool needs to be easy to carry, not too bulky or heavy.
That brings in certain limitations as to just how many things you can add. Unfortunately even the best multi-tool tends to be a jack of all trades and masters of none, this doesn't make them obsolete though. I have a Leatherman Juice as an EDC and it's great!

A dedicated first aid multi tool might be interesting, proper scissors to cut through clothing, medical tweezers etc...although hygiene would of course be a problem.

For a bushcraft multi-tool a decent large locking saw, fire starter, compass, an international emergency beacon and a whole bunch of other gizmos would be good.

A multi-tool where you could plug in cell phones or other electrical goods, turn a handle and recharge their batteries.

I'm sure other folks will come up with better ideas...

YB

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I was at the top of a radar tower, fixing a navigation light yesterday and needed a screwdriver, reach for the Leatherman wave, problem solved otherwise a long climb down to the tools.
Multitools, here to stay, use mine almost every day.
But to answer your question, one that could deliver petrol, diesel and teleport transport service would be great.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I don't like them so there isn't one for me. I got one as a present for being in a wedding party. I have never used it. It is in one of my BOB, taking up space and weight. I think a good knife and fire steel are far more important.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
In the future like all other tools I see the alloys becoming stronger and lighter. The customization of the tools more prevalent. I think it would be awesome to have a Leatherman Surge that only weighed a couple ounces instead of the pound I carry now haha.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Okay.. I am going to get my butt kicked for this but multi-tools strike me as over kill. Read: I must have a tool that does a wide variety of things that will need to be done... watch repair, sewing, ear piercing, book binding, surgery...

It may just be me but multi-tools seem to me to be a physical fantasy rather than a really useful tool. ... hmmm... it seems as if... you think if society falls part and tools are not available you will need one tool to do all those civilized things you don't have tools for....

If society falls apart then all those niceties do as well and no need for a multi-tool....possession of a multi-tool presupposes a certain level of society and needs. I can't see that. A knife, fire steel and pot seems far more valuable post SHTF than a multi tool.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
To be honest im not over keen on multitools or sak,ive owned a few multitools and never really needed them and when camping ive never needed one so i have to agree with SR that a good fixed blade,fire steel and a pot works for me.

But each to his own.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay.. I am going to get my butt kicked for this but multi-tools strike me as over kill. Read: I must have a tool that does a wide variety of things that will need to be done... watch repair, sewing, ear piercing, book binding, surgery...

It may just be me but multi-tools seem to me to be a physical fantasy rather than a really useful tool. ... hmmm... it seems as if... you think if society falls part and tools are not available you will need one tool to do all those civilized things you don't have tools for....

If society falls apart then all those niceties do as well and no need for a multi-tool....possession of a multi-tool presupposes a certain level of society and needs. I can't see that. A knife, fire steel and pot seems far more valuable post SHTF than a multi tool.
It may not be far from truth, but a multi tool can be really nice to have in a urban survival situation though...anyway thats not whay this post is about.

Thanks for your opinion though! :)

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
In all honesty, I think that Leatherman needs the latitude of adaptions like the SAK, for example a magnifying glass, fish scaler, disgorger for fish hooks and one of those things for removing stones from horses hooves would be great on some models. IMO.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know it's highjacking the thread slightly (sorry), but I tend to agree with razor and sticks. I usually find little to no use for them while in the woods. I personally keep a multitool in my desk drawer to do various tasks that require light tool use so I don't always have to go get "real" tools from the toolbox. I've done this for probably about 15 years, and have found that they fit this niche for me nicely.

As for what will happen to them in the future, I agree with leif regarding lighter/stronger materials and specialization for different areas of use.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it's highjacking the thread slightly (sorry), but I tend to agree with razor and sticks. I usually find little to no use for them while in the woods. I personally keep a multitool in my desk drawer to do various tasks that require light tool use so I don't always have to go get "real" tools from the toolbox. I've done this for probably about 15 years, and have found that they fit this niche for me nicely.

As for what will happen to them in the future, I agree with leif regarding lighter/stronger materials and specialization for different areas of use.
Jepp, thats great...thanks for the useful info:thumb:

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I toss in my leatherman whenever I'm traveling. But it's not my first choice of knife because, in my opinion, it is so unbalanced and awkward to handle. I've even gotten away from taking it backpacking because I don't need screwdrivers and such.
So I just wish they could come up with a better, more balanced design.

How about a multitool without a knife but adding mini steri pen?
Maybe a kind of futuristic sparking device?
A micro battery pack?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To remove the knife would be not such a stupid thing, its rearly used as i use my other knifes instead...only if they could get their technology out that have been kept secret from us for almost a century, we could benefit from a minimini steripen that uses energy from the surroundings or from your body perhaps...healthy cells in our bodys holds about 70mv or higher, if you are a Falun Gong practitioner you can hold lots more!

Diagnostic Device

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I'm sure it wont be long now before someone puts a flash drive memory stick into one.....The original leatherman was more camper friendly than the modern ones..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts