Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been curious as to how best to water proof clothing. I have heard a dangerous sounding method useing gasoline and parafin wax ( can we say napalm). I thought I'd ask you guys what your take on water proofing cloth is.

Is there a safer way to do this?

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I use Scotch Guard on hunting clothes and it works as advertised. But it does wear off in time so you have to reapply occasionally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used the Nikwax, spray on water resistance products, both soft shell and hard shell with good results. Also I've used their boot and shoe waterproofing, and it's also been great.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Both the above are the best ways, why not, if your buget allows just purchase some over the top of your clothes type of rain suit.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
I just use brake silicon spray
Ive used it for years and never had a problem
works well with canvas easy to find and carry

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Pour Thompsons water seal into a hand sprayer,mist it on clothing.Works decent on cotton type clothes.Makes it a little stiff,though.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
I just use brake silicon spray
Ive used it for years and never had a problem
works well with canvas easy to find and carry
this is my choise too :thumb:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do most of thiese do good on jean type material?

Actually what would be a good starting material for the scotch gard and such? Looking to save on water proof pants, poncho just will not cover down low. Buying water proof clothing is outragious!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
this isnt waterproofing but.. i found that fishnet underwear does wonders keeping you warm and dry with wet clothes. Holds the jeans or shirt away from your skin.. so you get an air layer..and it also seems to speed the drying.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
this isnt waterproofing but.. i found that fishnet underwear does wonders keeping you warm and dry with wet clothes. Holds the jeans or shirt away from your skin.. so you get an air layer..and it also seems to speed the drying.
that's interesting.....but I thick I'll leave fishnets to the gals:upsidedown:. I just can't wrap my mind around that one right now, but in a true survival experience it will be in mind. might keep you warm too, kind of like double pane glass, air insulation. when your clothing is right up against the skin it would probably conduct (if that's the right word) heat/cold much quicker.

In theory I supose.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebguy View Post
that's interesting.....but I thick I'll leave fishnets to the gals. I just can't wrap my mind around that one right now, but in a true survival experience it will be in mind. might keep you warm too, kind of like double pane glass, air insulation. when your clothing is right up against the skin it would probably conduct (if that's the right word) heat/cold much quicker.

In theory I supose. QUOTE

Leave it to the gals..ha. You are not supposed to let people see what yr underwear looks like!

Puts me in mind of years ago when i was commuting miles on a bicycle, someone said that womens' underwear was more comfy than mens' for that. Well...

So I tried it anyway, and not only did i embarass myself it wasnt a bit better.

Some years later the subject came up with a girlfriend who thought it was hilarious, then said she thought the same thing about MENS underwear. tried it with the same results. Didnt make a bit of difference.

Back to fishnet tho... its not just in theory that it works well. If you is of a experimental frame of mind, and trying things out before your life depends isnt a bad thing, try wet jeans with and without, or with conventional longjohns on a cold windy day.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Have you tried ReviveX wash in treatment? If it's as good as advertised I might be inclined to water proof all my clothes LOL.
I have not used the wash in treatment. I have used the spray on treatment. You wash the garment, spray on the Revivex then dry in for an hour on medium heat. I was pleased with the result.

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Do most of thiese do good on jean type material?

Actually what would be a good starting material for the scotch gard and such? Looking to save on water proof pants, poncho just will not cover down low. Buying water proof clothing is outragious!
It seems to me like jeans might get damp and any sweat or water would get held in and not dry easily. Do waterproof sprays let moisture out? I haven't used them. D:
I have nylon pants that are comfortable in the wet, and dry quickly. :3 They seem like they'd be better to waterproof than jeans, and then I'd just wear some warmer leggings underneath. Or hey, why not waterproof ski pants over top of regular pants? I know there's gotta be cheap ones.
I'm sort of just guessing though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You dont have to wear womens pantyhoes or whatever you call them lol!

You can get thermal long johns for men! My dad and I use them when working in cold weather! Keep you nice n warm :D there made for MEN so you dont feel like a cross dresser in them lol plus there a wool like material and are nice n warm :)

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Gasoline and paraffin? Never heard of that...couldn't you just use melted paraffin? I mean, I'd rather use a spray on from REI, but if you really wanted old school waterproof denim or canvas, dunk em in a pot of melted wax, let it harden the scrape off the excess...GOD that sounds like a mess...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts