Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search here and didn't find any thread already here that addressed this topic. If this is in the wrong place or if another thread exists, let me know. I was looking at www.opticsplanet.com at tactical vests last night, but was wondering if anybody here has much experience with vests. I'm not interested in any holsters being attached, mostly mags and other items. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I've been considering getting a vest, but I wanted to get the best I could afford without getting something that has a bunch of tiny gadget pockets and such. My primary concerns will be capacity of 20 round 308 mags and 30 round 223 mags, plus a water supply. Everything else can go into a small pack. I'm not likely to travel far, just planning on being out for durations of a day or so, should need be. From what I've read in another thread, the Tactical tailor equipment allows one to switch ammo pouches to accomodate various caliber requirements. Is that true?

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
+1 for the USGI MOLLE II vest. I purchased one for $12 just for kicks and ended up putting some pouches on it for an auxiliary vest (my primary is a Tactical Tailor MAV in woodland).

If you want to buy new I'd go with the Spec-ops "Over-Armor" vest:
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/sales-specials/over-armor-vest.html

I swear by Spec-ops, there US made, very high quality and their gear has served with several of my friends overseas who also swear by their Spec-ops products.

·
Registered
106 Posts
While i cant tell you the best vest for you i can say what to look for. You would want something that is comfortable on the shoulders, a heavier vest will feel lighter if the should straps don't ride up your neck but don't slide down your shoulders. you'll likely want molle just about everywhere, so that you can change your load out depending on what your doing. breath-ability is essential. other wise you'll need to carry more water which will slow you down. and durability, there is a price to pay for durability, usually in the form of $$. I'm all for finding great deal of things that i use. but many things are not worth skimping on and this is one of those.

·
Fenced In
3,415 Posts
I did a search here and didn't find any thread already here that addressed this topic. If this is in the wrong place or if another thread exists, let me know. I was looking at www.opticsplanet.com at tactical vests last night, but was wondering if anybody here has much experience with vests. I'm not interested in any holsters being attached, mostly mags and other items. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
You may benefit from the feedback I received when asking about vests here:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=714282

Based on some of the responses, I decided to skip switching to a vest with a cross-draw holster, so since you don't want that yourself, that might weed out some of the sub-par options on the market. I do know that some of the British and Italian military vests available on the surplus market are very nice.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
UTG 547 Law Enforcement Tactical Vest is one of the best tactical vest on the market . This tactical vest weighs 4.5 pounds and it really is a law enforcement standard vest in terms of its use. It’s durable and adjustable, but the way in which the pouches are designed and positioned makes it easy for trained officials to switch up their shells and magazines very quickly. The material made to construct the mesh is thick and sturdy, forming part of an overall tough, heavy-duty tactical vest
The left side of the collarbone region features a pocket which can house a walkie-talkie
Nice variation in what you can fit – either a P2220 (or M1911/Glock 17) or a couple of extra mags if you rather want to house six rifle mags
Lots of space in a total of seven pockets which can effectively be reconfigured to store a range of items
I own one of these too. You get SOOO much more than your money's worth with these. As long as you are not totally addicted to MOLLE, these offer a really good vest at a very manageable price.

I use one of these as my primary "throw it on for security reasons" home vest. I am planning to get more and place spares in other areas of the home. They are a really good price, stand up to use and wear really well, and are good quality construction.

I have used and abused mine a fair bit and it has held up really well.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Holy necrothread Batman! :zombie Anyway,

You should check out Condor tactical products... I have a chest rig and have been extremely happy with it... decent prices... solid quality...

RJ
Condor used to be ok for the lower level end of MOLLE but their quality went down over the years to near if not bottom of the barrel. For the same cost as their pouches I've gotten some better quality USGI MOLLE equipment off of eBay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.