Survivalist Forum banner

What is the best kukri to buy?

69K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  everest blade 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new Kukri. What would you guys suggest?

Looking for:
High Quality
Inexpensive
Lightweight
Durable / Reliable
Will keep a sharp edge

#2 ·
Let me first ask why a kukri?

I definitely don't recommend the Cold Steel stuff. It is over priced for what it is. Maybe Ka-bar, but I have been pleased by similarly priced items, which are high quality from other makers.

It isn't a Kukri, but it is damn good and by that I mean the SP-52. I have one and I will upload a review and test I did of it. I just need the time to up it.

#7 ·
I went from a BOHICA kukri for $13 (bent the tip) to a Cold Steel Kukri for $20. I'll stick by that CS blade np after I sharpened up the blade. It has suited me just fine when I carry a large blade. And, I've beathen the crap out of it several times and it keeps right on trucking for me.

Just find a blade you really like and stick with it. It'll be a personal case of trial and error. I've seen expensive machine and hand made knives snap in two, and I've seen cheap-o knives hold up for several decades.

#8 ·
The Windlass Khukri's can often be found for $20-40 but they often do not have an edge on them and it is left to the end user to finnish the sharpening. This is probably the cheapest actual Khukri and I've often considered getting one just haven't.
The Ontario Knife Company made a Khukri (not sure if they do anymore) out of .25" thick 1095 for a while that seems to get good reviews and it's blade style and thickness are pretty close to an original. This one last I saw was on Ebay for $80. Heard that the scabbard realy sucks.
The one I actualy own and use is the Kabar Khukri, it is 11" of 1085 steel hardened to 54-55 HRC if I remember correctly. This one is thinner than a regular Khukri and has a swedge at the tip of the blade that actualy gives it a nice point if you had to stab something. I also realized the other day that there is an unsharpened area just forward of the handle that allows you to choke up on the blade for more detailed work such as feather sticks. This one the scabbard is ok but some have reported slicing through it after time has passed.
The reason that the Kabar is not hardened to 60HRC like some knives is simple, it's a chopping tool and a chopper too hard is more prone to shipping instead of simple deformation. I haven't had any issues with the blade on mine and they can generaly be found for less than $60.
Cheers

#15 ·
Himalayan Imports has an amazing range of kukris and they go all the way from plain choppers to one you'd wear to your wedding when you're going to marry a Nepalese princess. It could happen. Prices seem reasonable and I've heard nothing but good things about their products.

#20 ·
In the review did they decapitate anybody? If not I would still recommend an authentic one. military grade. There is no substitute. lol and its cheaper.

And in my opinion that site is completely off base. I do agree that the sheath sucks. I made a Kydex. I have used one in the field and you would have to be an idiot to think you can improve on the design of the blade or the handle. It's a fighting knife that doubles as field knife and is a dominate no spin throwing knife in its original configuration something that has evolved over hundreds of years really should be left alone. In my humble opinion.

#19 ·
A real one from NEPAL otherwise your wasting your money.

Reactions: Burnzy
#21 ·
That's what I have. There truly is no substitute. Every time I go to a gun show I look at all the Cold Steel, Gerbers, etc. and laugh. Real one's are heavy and thick by design. The weight of the blade and the edge you can get on the hardened steel make it almost unsurpassed in chopping power.

#22 ·
http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/changkh.html

mother of 15 inch Ang Kholas -- usually 16 to 17 inches in length, blade 1/2 inch thick, 2+ inches wide, about 1.75 to 2.0+ pounds. Full tang. Break or bend it and get two free!

i just ordered this bad boy. it has the best guarantee ive seen. bend or break and get 2 free.

also 1 thing that kept me from HI for so long was shipping and blade.

they do not charge shipping for usa residents. its included in the price you see.

Attachments

#23 ·
I'v used one from Himalayan imports-- it was definitely a beast. But it was extremely heavy and the grip tore the hell out of my hands when working with out gloves. Handled the cold steel version, and the ka bar version- and came to this conclusion. The Kukri gets a ton of press and for it's native habitat to is an amazing tool... but in most locations a good hawk or machete will serve better. If your dead set on it- buy the CS kukri machete it's dirt cheap- you can mod out the handle and it will serve well.

as a chopper small axe or hawk will sever better
as a self defense tool unless you have training they are slow and cumbersome
as a chore knife they are bulky and awkward
while yes it can do everything it does everything at a reduced capacity.

for defense the kukri machete is actually a better tool than the original- cutting damage is caused by swing speed not by weight.... Don't get me wrong I don't hate them-

I used one for 2 years almost daily and I loved it- but having used it and the machete version- save the money, unless you are hacking nearly petrified nepalese wood the machete version will serve you well... and if you are hacking nearly petrified nepalese wood-- a small forest axe will serve better.

Survival is all about matching tool to the job and env.

#24 ·
Looks like there are some good deals on Ebay. I bought my true, Nepalese Khukuri from World Knives but they're no longer offering them. I'm not really fond of the balance of a khukuri. To me, it's more of a novelty than anything else. I bought mine to add to my collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.