Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I never liked the commando saws that I had when I was a lad, pretty useless things. A folding saw is far better, even the saw on a Swiss Army Knife cuts smaller stuff quicker.

I think those commando saws would make a better garotte.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
My folding saw is from a garden centre, it's cheap, cost ten pounds but it locks in both the open and closed positions, it cuts saplings very well indeed.

If you want to buy a quality name then "Silky" of Japan are excellent (they have a huge range) and "Bahco" of Sweden make the Lapplander folding saw, it's used by Ray Mears and many others.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
The pocket chainsaw and Ultimate Survival Saber Cut saw are the best. If you want something compact to fit into kit take a look at the Military model. It folds up very compact. It's what I carry in my BOB. Most of the wire saws on the market are junk. I decided to carry the Pro Force model on EDC Depot because some of my customers wanted something very compact to put in a PSK. I talked about the Pro Force model with a survival school instructor I know and he stated they were probably to best of the wire saws, second only to military model that I cannot seem to find. I do think to Pro Force model is much better than crappy models that came with the hollow handled survival knives of the 1980's. Maybe I will make the Pro Force wire saw next month's test product for the forum memembers.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
The pocket chainsaw and Ultimate Survival Saber Cut saw are the best. If you want something compact to fit into kit take a look at the...
Are these pocket chainsaws significantly different from a standard chainsaw chain? Whereas regular chainsaws cut in only one direction do the ones EDC is selling cut in both directions?

Thanks,

Allan

·
Registered
688 Posts
You do go both ways (ie: back and forth) on the one I posted about.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I never liked the commando saws that I had when I was a lad, pretty useless things. A folding saw is far better, even the saw on a Swiss Army Knife cuts smaller stuff quicker.

I think those commando saws would make a better garotte.
I wouldn't say they are useless,why do you think the army have them i there survival kits?

Saying they are useless is like saying a bow drill is useless just because you can not mastered it.

If you take the time to learn how to use a wire saw properly it can save your life,they pack into a small tin and take up little room.

By the way ive cut and 5" tree trunk with a wire saw.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I wouldn't say they are useless,why do you think the army have them i there survival kits?

Saying they are useless is like saying a bow drill is useless just because you can not mastered it.

If you take the time to learn how to use a wire saw properly it can save your life,they pack into a small tin and take up little room.
Perhaps the ones the army gets issued with are of a higher quality than civi ones?

Suprisingly sticks, I spent a bit of time trying to use wire saws, in the mid 1980's they were quite the rage. I found that they get stuck in logs, the teeth get gummed up with saw dust and don't cut properly and that they have a habit of snapping.

Perhaps they aren't meant for long term use? Rather just a few days at most?

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Perhaps the ones the army gets issued with are of a higher quality than civi ones?

Suprisingly sticks, I spent a bit of time trying to use wire saws, in the mid 1980's they were quite the rage. I found that they get stuck in logs, the teeth get gummed up with saw dust and don't cut properly and that they have a habit of snapping.

Perhaps they aren't meant for long term use? Rather just a few days at most?
Suprisingly yorkshire boy so have i and not just mod ones so i say its more than likely down to the way you are using it.

Snapping-you dont have to use to much power as this tends to make them stick into the wood.

Gumming up-keep it oiled and this should not happen,saying that,folding saws gum up.

Getting stuck in a log-this is probably down to technique,id also say this can happen with any saw if not used correctly.

Short term use-i had and used one for over a year before i misplaced it.?

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Thank you for you expert advice.

Perhaps you would like to pick on the other people on this thread who don't rate wire saws?

Or is it just my opinion that is wrong and useless? Because I'm "nothing but a novice".

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Thank you for you expert advice.

Perhaps you would like to pick on the other people on this thread who don't rate wire saws?

Or is it just my opinion that is wrong and useless? Because I'm "nothing but a novice".
Grow up:rolleyes:

You gave advise that i didn't agree with so i said what i think,nothing nasty or malicious just a bit of Constructive criticism.

All i have done here is to show you were i think you were going wrong in your attempts to use a wire saw and you start saying im picking on you:headshake: how sad.

thank you for your expert advice -there is no need to be bitchy.

Its not about rating these saws,it about saying something is useless because you cannot use it,im not good with a bow and arrow but i would not call them useless because of my ineptitude:D:

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I wouldn't regard myself as inept regarding knowing how to use a wire saw and I've seen many people using wire saws, that's why I wrote what I did.

To cut a branch that's out of reach tie two long pieces of line to each ring of the saw, tie a weight to one of the lines. Throw the weight over the high branch, pull on the lines and slowly and steadily saw through the branch.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I wouldn't regard myself as inept regarding knowing how to use a wire saw and I've seen many people using wire saws, that's why I wrote what I did.

To cut a branch that's out of reach tie two long pieces of line to each ring of the saw, tie a weight to one of the lines. Throw the weight over the high branch, pull on the lines and slowly and steadily saw through the branch.
thats a good piece of advise there,just make sure the branch doesn't hit you in the head:eek:or else you will be :sleep::D:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.