Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of a bug out bag for a petite woman, does anyone have any recommendations? My wife is 5'4", 110 lbs. Are there any companies that make expedition packs catering to petite women?

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
You will find good info in this thread which is very specific to your post:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=34917

I would not order a backpack online without trying it on first.
As I posted in the above thread:
Take her to a good store with lots of selection and have her properly fitted for a pack. Try them all with a load in them. Let her select the one most comfortable. Whether you buy it there or purchase online later, getting the pack with right fit makes all the difference in the world and it's more than just a matter of height.

The hip belt is really important. That's where the weight should rest and a woman's hips greatly vary. Until we're carrying that loaded pack, we don't know how it's going to feel.

I once bought a pricy new pack online right before a big hike in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. I came back with large bruises on my hips. I was in complete misery. I will never make that mistake again.

Even though you don't plan on her carrying much weight, it can always happen. If you twist an ankle, she would have to transfer the load from your pack to hers. So you may want to just get the right one in the beginning.

Here is a good link for how to measure torso length to assist you in selecting proper size for her:

http://www.usoutdoorstore.com/d_ques...ck_sizing.html

Hope this helps.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
I think she would fit nicely in a Mystery Ranch Grizzly. She may have to bend her knees a lil though.

What? Oh, sorry I total missed the point of the post. ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
That would be the bag that your boyfriend / husband carries for you.

Had to throw that in... haha sorry :p

I go tramping whenever I can and have lost count of the times i've seen the man carrying his huge bag as well as her small bag! Or his huge bag sweating away while she strolls along with her tiny light weight day bag with her change of clothes...

There is a reason I have this bitterness towards the new age females out there. :p

You lot are different, I know that. Just step back and realise that you are a minority these days... a dying breed.

·
Registered
969 Posts
It would be the one that carries the lighter gear but of sufficient size to be comfortable yet spacious and fits your body shape and carrying or load bearing point preferences. Some like the weight on their shoulders, others like it on their hips. One that can be adjusted for both or either is ideal.

I recommend going to a place with a wide variety of them and take the time to properly fit yourself with one, loaded with an appropriate amount of weight for your carrying abilities. This is not a four or five minute decision making process if satisfaction of comfort and utility are to be expected from your purchase.

I bought a pack fifteen years ago and it took me more than two hours to choose from an assortment of about five packs available. My only mistake back then was the color chosen.....but that is correctale with a lightweight rain cover.

Good Luck and choose wisely.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
One thing that the guys often forget when buying packs for their girls (though they remember it at all other times) is that our hips are shaped differently. Hip belts for men often don't fit comfortably on our hips. Quality packs for females will have a canted belt. That's where the weight should be carried and if the fit is off it's really miserable.

I've never been able to find a decent fit in a military pack. I also find them heavy as compared to commercial packs with the same carrying capacity.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm 5', 108 lbs., and I've owned quite a lot of backpacks, many of which, in the past, were torture to wear ! It can be tricky for sure to find a truly comfortable fit.

Know your torso size !!
Hip belts for men often don't fit comfortably on our hips. Quality packs for females will have a canted belt. That's where the weight should be carried and if the fit is off it's really miserable.
Another thing I've found is that packs for men tend to have shoulder straps that are really too wide for women. Our shoulder and chest areas tend to not be as broad, and we also have breasts to factor into the fit. With the wider shoulder straps, they tend to cut into the sides of our neck and cut into the sides of our breasts and armpits. NOT fun!

I've never been able to find a decent fit in a military pack. I also find them heavy as compared to commercial packs with the same carrying capacity.
Same here, Maurepas. Many of the outdoor retail type packs nowadays are made of durable materials, and many don't weigh a ton when empty. There are plenty of people out there each year hiking for months on end, day after day, using these packs. To me, that's a good testimony to durability and function.

Unless it fits though, all that may as well go out the window! :(

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you decide to check out a mainstream backpack, and you go to someplace like an REI, they will load it up with weight for you and you can walk around for a while and see how it feels. They can also help show you how it needs to be adjusted for the best fit and carry. Most packs are rated not only for volume, but nowadays they are frequently also rated for maximum weight/comfort ratio, which can be very helpful when shopping.

Another reason to look at a mainstream retail place is so she can see all the different features there are on packs these days. She may want a lot of pockets, or none, a hydration bladder pocket, hipbelt pockets, tooty-fruity color, stealthy color, etc. Knowing what you will be carrying in the pack ahead of time could be helpful when selecting some of the features.

One of the very best reasons to look at reg retail places is...
If you get home with the pack, get out in the woods and try it out on a weekend trip with all your gear to see how it works- and she decides it isn't for her, you can easily return it!

IMO, just as you wouldn't want to try to suffer through hiking with shoes that don't fit, you don't want a woman wearing a pack that will be a misery! An ill fitting pack on a woman can cause terrible bruises, open sores, soreness, and a mood that could make PMS look pleasant !! :D: ;)

So, see what's out there, try things on, and then you can always comparison shop for price afterward. :D:

Perkolady

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
North Face Terra 30

She wound up going with a North Face Terra 30. She was glad that she bought in-person at a sporting goods store. The pack was very comfortable and fit her small frame perfectly ... but it was the only one out of all the packs that did. If she had bought online, she would have surely been unhappy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts