Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just bought a beautiful rural mountain cabin. It is pretty much my ideal BOL... Log home...extremely solid craftsmanship... Lots of land... Backs up to national forest...wood stoves... And my wife is letting me do some upgrades like solar and wind turbines so that it can go completely off the grid if need be.

But "rural" comes at a price... Self sufficiency goes both ways. So I want her to have an EDC that she will actually carry rather than keep in a kitchen drawer.

My first wife had a S&W Model 642 hammerless 38. She would carry it in her waistband holster... Or most often just in her back jeans pocket with her shirt pulled over it.

My wife is barely 5 feet tall and 115 lbs dripping wet... So whatever I get it needs to match a small woman's hands. ( Taking her to the gun store and letting her pick isn't the best option here. I wish it was.).i want to get her something small but that packs a punch, doesn't have a safety, doesn't have a hammer to catch on clothing and is easily concealable.

What is the best hammerless snubbie revolver? I am leaning towards the Ruger LCR or the S&W alloy frame... But if there is a better option... Or a better choice other than a hammerless snubbie... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It needs to be small. It needs to be foolproof (I.e., no safeties to forget in a panic) and it needs to be light enough that she will actually carry it.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Reactions: A-Team and bayez

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
The tiny lightweight .38's have a lot of snap.

Have you...or she...considered a small 9mm like a Glock 26 or some of the slim single stacks like Ruger, or the new Sigs? Some of the newer models are about as slim as a similar .380 :eek:

9mm has less recoil, more capacity, and can get the job done with modern ammo.

...just another path to consider IMHO

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
My wife and I just bought a beautiful rural mountain cabin. It is pretty much my ideal BOL... Log home...extremely solid craftsmanship... Lots of land... Backs up to national forest...wood stoves... And my wife is letting me do some upgrades like solar and wind turbines so that it can go completely off the grid if need be.

But "rural" comes at a price... Self sufficiency goes both ways. So I want her to have an EDC that she will actually carry rather than keep in a kitchen drawer.

My first wife had a S&W Model 642 hammerless 38. She would carry it in her waistband holster... Or most often just in her back jeans pocket with her shirt pulled over it.

My wife is barely 5 feet tall and 115 lbs dripping wet... So whatever I get it needs to match a small woman's hands. ( Taking her to the gun store and letting her pick isn't the best option here. I wish it was.).i want to get her something small but that packs a punch, doesn't have a safety, doesn't have a hammer to catch on clothing and is easily concealable.

What is the best hammerless snubbie revolver? I am leaning towards the Ruger LCR or the S&W alloy frame... But if there is a better option... Or a better choice other than a hammerless snubbie... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It needs to be small. It needs to be foolproof (I.e., no safeties to forget in a panic) and it needs to be light enough that she will actually carry it.
my wife loves her ruger LCR

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I really like carrying the LCR. The trigger is nice and inside 30' accuracy is great.

The recoil does pack a punch though.

I bought one for my daughter for the same reasons you listed and have to reload some lighter rounds for her to get comfortable with it.

The hammerless SP101 is heavier, but it handles recoil better than the LCR.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I'd rent something and have her try it out, the recoil from snubbie revolvers can make some individuals recoil sensitive....she needs to find out for herself what she can manage.

The same cartridge in two revolvers differing in weight, means more felt recoil in the lighter revolver.

I'd opt for the sp101, but there needs to be consideration on how she intends to carry it.

If there's recoil sensitivity, consider lighweight loads (125 gr. for .357/38 sp.?) or semiautos.

best of luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Another vote for the Ruger LCR . My wife loves hers , its the .357mag. version . She keeps it loaded with Buffalo Bore .38 special +p 158 gr. hp ammo . In the back country she puts a snake shot round in one of the chambers . The LCR is a very light weight and accurate hammer less revolver . She carries it in the front pocket of her jeans in a pocket holster . In .357mag. , it has a very stiff recoil , too much for my 100 pound wife to handle and still shoot it accurately .

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
Both Wife and Daughter favor S&W 640 Pistols. Pre-Lock. They are Heavy, thus less recoiling for the Wife's Arthritic wrist. She practices with Light DEWC Handloads, and carries with .357 Buffalo Bore "Short Barrel Tactical Loads".

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tiny lightweight .38's have a lot of snap.

Have you...or she...considered a small 9mm like a Glock 26 or some of the slim single stacks like Ruger, or the new Sigs? Some of the newer models are about as slim as a similar .380 :eek:

9mm has less recoil, more capacity, and can get the job done with modern ammo.

...just another path to consider IMHO
We're going to the gun store so she can handle the KAHR and mini Glocks. Currently she has a Glock 17 for here at home and it works great for her... Round in the chamber and no safety. But if she is home alone in a rural cabin... Whatever she carries has to be invisible on her... And completely foolproof. I will never trust anyone who doesn't shoot regularly to remember to take off a safety.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The S&W 340 PD's light weight make it a great carry gun but recoil with 357s is brutal. They make a 340 M&P now with a steel, instead of titanium/scandium?, cylinder which may be better for a woman. S&W makes it without the stupid lock too. 38+p through that would be fine.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Well my wife used to have a Pink Lady 38spl from Charter Arms shot rather well even she like it until it got stolen. Plan on getting her another one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Your wife is about the same size as my wife and oldest daughter. My wife has a Colt Detective Special and absolutely loves it. It does have a hammer spur and is .38 special. My daughter has a Taurus Model 85 in .38 Special. Before I gave it to her I had my gunsmith bob the hammer spur off and give it an action job. It is a flawless snubbie and she loves it and regularly outshoots most of us using it.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
I love the S&W Mdl 640s and variants, but they're 5-shot .38 Spl -- its probably a mistake to try and have a small woman fire .357 Mag out of that platform.

If you're completely fixed on having her shoot .357 Mag, then the smallest revolver I'd want to fire that out of would be a Ruger SP-101. If she doesn't have SOME mass to help soak up some of the recoil, its going to give her a tremendous jolt to her wrists and arms.

Frankly, another really nice revolver you ought to consider is the S&W Mdl 19/60 in the 2.5" bbl version. Thats a 6 shot .357 Magnum which is much more pleasant to shoot than most of the smaller revolvers, but it carries pretty easily in either an IWB or a shoulder holster - which my wife found to be more comfortable than having the revolver at her waist.

Whatever you select, make sure the grips fit her hand real well.

YMMV.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am going thru this with my wife. We went to a range and rented an LCR. It's sporty... it's so light that the recoil is pretty hot. Other than that, it's a total win. Light, small, and nothing to go wrong. You pull the trigger and it goes bang.

We are still trying small auto pistols, but the small 9mm pistols have a pretty stiff slide spring in them and my wife seems to have trouble with them. Nothing a hundred trips to the range won't solve, but I want her to have a gun that she's comfortable with and capable of using in a stressful situation.

If we end up with a .357 Mag instead of .38 Special, we will probably end up getting a Ruger SP-101. The LCR in .38 Special is pretty hot. I can't imagine her being able to handle it in .357 Mag.

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
Most guys find that if the wife is uncomfortable shooting the revolver, it doesn't much matter what you buy. After a month or two she will refuse to go to the range anymore.

It's pretty critical, if you want her to keep shooting, to find something she is truly comfortable shooting. For my wife, that was a larger, heavier revolver that provided a lower felt recoil impulse and more managable recoil, so she wasn't half afraid of the gun.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I have found that for mostwomen the .38 snubbies have to harsh of a recoil and it becomes too difficult for them to put more than a few rounds downrange..If you are dead set on a revolver maybe a .32 or .22 mag will be easier for her to handle. If semi is an option the .380 beersa thunder is a great pistol. it is reliable, not expensive, accuarate and minimum recoil...my 0.02 :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts