Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and, while I've been wanting to learn how to survive in case of a government collapse, I still feel very uninformed. What does the acronym SHTF mean? My only logical guess is **** Hit The Fan. But I keep reading about it and it seems like it's being referred to in a prophetic-like manner. Apocalyptic perhaps.

The next thing is the term "bugging out", would this refer to somebody that just breaks, or panics? I think that new people to this site and to survivalism in general would benefit from such definitions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Damn... my shyt got starred out. If there is any confusion that was supposed to be the expletive form of poop or crap starting with 'sh'.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
I'm new to this site and, while I've been wanting to learn how to survive in case of a government collapse, I still feel very uninformed. What does the acronym SHTF mean? My only logical guess is **** Hit The Fan. But I keep reading about it and it seems like it's being referred to in a prophetic-like manner. Apocalyptic perhaps.

The next thing is the term "bugging out", would this refer to somebody that just breaks, or panics? I think that new people to this site and to survivalism in general would benefit from such definitions.
yes tshtf means any type of event that pretty much ruins your day to day life.

For some its as dramatic as hordes of the undead breaking down their door, others its blue helmets and the .gov storming their home at 3am and dragging off to gitmo.
For the most part its the boring side of life. Your hurricane and floods and quakes and tornado and other such events.
It could be as simple as a flat tire on a rural high way or running out of gas in your boat 10 miles off shore!

it means so many different things to different folks that it really does not have a definition more or less but is used as a general term. The definition of SHTF here maybe different that at forum xxyyzz.com . Which is why i say its more or less a general use term/phrase kinda like
" Ohhhhhh [email protected]@@@@.....this is gonna suck......"

bugging out-

Means when said tshtf you leave your current position and move to a designated area or suitable location for your safety. Again this depends on the event and your planning.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...What does the acronym SHTF mean? My only logical guess is **** Hit The Fan. But I keep reading about it and it seems like it's being referred to in a prophetic-like manner. Apocalyptic perhaps.

You got it right wrt "TSHTF". It's when bad things happen, but they will normalize after a while (Katrina, Ike, tornado, earthquake, run out of gas in the middle of nowhere etc.), as opposed to TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) where bad things happen and life will never the same again (nuclear war, pandemic that wipes out 90% of the population, super-volcano that blocks out the sun for decades, asteriod impact, the Democrats win the Whitehouse and both chambers of Congress etc...)

After you've been here awhile it will all become old-hat.

The "Bugging Out" as mentioned earlier is leaving the comfort of your normal living situation due to some event, natural or man-made, and evacuating to somewhere else, either pre-planned or ad hoc. The folks in Galveston and Houston did a "bug-out" ahead of Ike last month. Most folks who frequent this forum will be bugging out to someplace pre-planned, it's what we do. The rest of the sheeple will be bugging out to whereever FEMA tells them to go.

Hope that helps.

Allan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to all for clarifying that up. At this moment I don't have any planned place to retreat to. I live close to some woods near Riverdale, but perhaps much further away from large populations would be best for this kind of situation.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
If I lived in Florida, I definitely would not bug out to anywhere in the state unless I had a place to go in the Everglades. (of course, I wouldn't head there if the bug out was because of a hurricane) Too many sheeple too densely packed for me. I'd be thinking GA or AL backwoods.

Welcome to the site.

·
Banned
653 Posts
SHTF- An repulsive act sometimes used as a prank where someone throws feces into a fan of some kind that is operating at high speed.

Bugging- An unspeakable act performed by two homosexual men from the UK....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts