• F5 Tornado

Votes: 74 63.8%
  • Category 5 Hurricane

Votes: 42 36.2%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
If you get hit by a Cat5 hurricane, it is because you refused to evacuate. You get plenty of warning that a monster storm is headed your way. But an F5 tornado can just drop down on you and demolish everything with little or no warning.

Just in case you weren't aware though, hurricanes usually spawn tornados too.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If you get hit by a Cat5 hurricane, it is because you refused to evacuate. You get plenty of warning that a monster storm is headed your way. But an F5 tornado can just drop down on you and demolish everything with little or no warning.

Just in case you weren't aware though, hurricanes usually spawn tornados too.
Agree with this guy/ gal

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I didn't vote cuz I'm somewhat torn on the subject. A tornado will sneak up on you which is pretty scarry but, A hurricane covers a much broader area of destruction.

I volunteered to be a weather spotter (you can do this through your local fire dept.) & occasionally get a call from the state meteorlogical (sp?) guys at 2:45 A.M. asking me what the clouds look like outside. With their radar/detection equipment they can only see the conditions that cause a tornado but, they need spotters to verify if it's just the conditions or an actual tornado.

I don't mind being woke up if the professionals see something on their radar that could be a tornado, I'm glad to jump up & look for them. It beats sleeping soundly till a tornado strikes. :thumb:

·
Molon Labe
6,052 Posts
F5 is my vote they popup with little warning, a cat 5 hurricane causes alot of damage and destruction but we have time to evacuate and get out of harms way.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
The winds in an EF-5 tornado vary from 261mph, to 318mph. The sustained winds in a category 5 hurricane can get up to 156mph. We can all see which one is more powerful. We all know that a tornado is short lived.
BUT, statistically, tornadoes kill an average of 60 people a year, hurricanes an average of 40. (per answers.com).In the USA.
I don't know, they both seem almost equal as far as the danger and death chances.
But hurricanes cause far more property damage and destruction due to the MUCH wider damage zones.

·
urban *******
681 Posts
i've done both...............twisters give you less warning. if your caught in a cat 5 it's your own dang fault. use your brain and move out the path for a few days.............this really is a no brainer. :taped:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The winds in an EF-5 tornado vary from 261mph, to 318mph. The sustained winds in a category 5 hurricane can get up to 156mph. We can all see which one is more powerful. We all know that a tornado is short lived.
BUT, statistically, tornadoes kill an average of 60 people a year, hurricanes an average of 40. (per answers.com).In the USA.
I don't know, they both seem almost equal as far as the danger and death chances.
But hurricanes cause far more property damage and destruction due to the MUCH wider damage zones.
Not according to FEMA, The Salvation Army & Red Cross and every CERT volunteer I spoke with who'd responded to both, all of those sources reported that the EF4-EF5 tornadoes that devastated so much of Alabama on April 27 did far more damage then Katrina did in any state.

Hurricaine can spawn tornadoes, but I've never seen one spawn an EF4 or EF5. I don't want to be in the path of ANY tornado but have ridden out a hurricane while in Mobile and several further inland.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Depends how close that tornado is to you.

You asked scarier.

F5 Tornado would be scarier. It could come unexpectedly, go on by and nothing happen, or it could suck up people and the whole house.
If it does hit directly your house is about guaranteed gone. Likely you as well.
Property damage, isn't the primary concern in that moment.

Hurricane probably means something is going to get tore up.
But as posted, 40 people a year compared, when so many are concentrated on the coastline, tells you they're not as deadly if you have sense. Tornado gets the fear.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
I've been in a number of cyclones, the highest being cat 3 - I went through that one under a hootchie in the bush, and 1 tornado (no idea what strength) and I'll sit through a cyclone any day, cyclones worry me, tornado's scare the bejeezes out of me.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,346 Posts
Tri-State Tornado of 1925 killed 695 people. The tornado averaged 62 mph and a speed of 73 mph. This was considered an F2. What would an F5 of a mile across do today. You don't get out of the way of a F5 and underground is not always going to save you.

http://www.tornadoproject.com/toptens/1.htm

I was the recipient of a tornado and I picked up pieces of my barn (whole sections of roof) from 500 yards away. Some of it I never found and there would have been a lot more to pick up if the roof hadn't wrapped itself around the silo. :xeye:

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Cat 5 hurricane, because with a Tornado while you have massive destruction as soon as the storm passes you can start recovery ops pretty quickly.

With a Hurricane not only do you have the initial damage but then you have the flooding to deal with as well. In some cases it rains heavily for days before and after a Hurricane makes land fall. Which will delay or prevent initial response by emergency services.

A Cat 5 storm is nothing to be taken lightly.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Just this past year in 2011 tornadoes have killed 546 people with six F5 twisters touching down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornadoes_of_2011

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am torn, tornadoes come without warning, and last minutes, hurricanes you have warning, but they last for days and cover a larger area, so I think they are both pretty darn scarry each in their own way

1 - 20 of 38 Posts