Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Trump+Kanye=Dragon Energy
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m using Hoppe’s Elite oil and I noticed some friction points cleaning my Kimber Micro last night.

What are you guys/gals using.

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
I have been using Rem-oil just because that is what I bought/have. Never had any problems and in my research there seem to be pros and cons to all of them.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
`

Do you mean as a cleaner or as a lubricant? Hoppe's is a great bore cleaner & I know some people use it as a lube & in a pinch it's better than nothing but not as good of a lube as it is a cleaner. I was raised in the church of Hoppe's for cleaning & love the smell, but I have recently started trying ballistol & absolutely love the stuff, but it's taking a while for the smell to become less offensive. I also like gun scrubber & my kid loves that stuff too. We also both like the Slip 2000 stuff. Lately though, at least for lubrication I've been using Lucas stuff. There are so many good products out now days it's not too hard to find a good one. I will say about the Ballistol though it has a bunch of uses besides guns. I've been using it to restore some rubber parts as well as cleaning electronics (I was amazed it worked as well as it did) and it is also supposed to work at restoring leather too, but haven't tried it on that yet.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,567 Posts
I use Hoppe's for general solvent cleaning but I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner for copper fouling

As far as lubricant, it depends on the gun. I use Rem Oil for firing pins, I use gun oil for trigger parts. In some cases, one drop is too much so I'll use a cotton swab

Some parts of guns I use no lubricant whatsoever, others I use a dab or 2 of grease

Know your gun and it's needs.

Some guns and their parts will last a life time without any lube at all, using too much can attract the things that will cause wear and tear

Gas operated weapons I typically use very little to no lubricants

An old friend of my Dad's who was a gunsmith, told me a story about WWII when training in the Navy, for AA fire using Remington Model 11's. They'd literally run 1000's upon 1000's of rounds through the shotguns without any lube at all. When they'd hang up, they'd install another and send the dirty ones back to the armory. They never had any appreciable wear, just needed cleaning from all the powder

He said it was nothing to have over 40,000 rounds put through these guns

I do believe more damage can be done by over-cleaning and over-oiling

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I use Hoppe's for general solvent cleaning but I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner for copper fouling

As far as lubricant, it depends on the gun. I use Rem Oil for firing pins, I use gun oil for trigger parts. In some cases, one drop is too much so I'll use a cotton swab

Some parts of guns I use no lubricant whatsoever, others I use a dab or 2 of grease
This is pretty close to me. :thumb:

I have used a few others, including about 8 different recipies of Ed's Red. Never had anything that was just horrible to use.

Of course, there is always:

Bacon Scented!

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
479 Posts
Super lube aerosol oil (ptfe) but not to swab barrels. Spraying the stuff into a empty small bottle...eliminates the diluting propellant or carrier.
Robert Bruce "the Sig Armorer", highly recommends Super lube oil, & grease ,both are LT. transparent.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts