Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Indefatigable
21,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a pow-wow by text yesterday and got the family potluck all sorted out. It's scheduled for dinner on Saturday because that's the only time everyone could be there. On our menu:
Relish tray
Deviled eggs
Tabbouleh
Cabbage Rolls
Smoked turkey
Moose roast
Mashed potatoes and giblet gravy
Cranberry sauce
Glazed carrots
Brussels sprouts
Whole wheat rolls
Pecan pie and blackberry cobbler

I'm the only baker in the family so those last 3 are my assignment.

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Indefatigable
21,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No candied yams?
No green bean casserole?

What gives?

I'll let you slide on the lack of Pumpkin pie since there is Pecan on the list.
No one in my family likes any of those things you mentioned. I'm not much on pumpkin pie, the whole pumpkin spice craze turned me against it, but I cook yams and/or sweet potato pie and green bean casserole for myself at least once a year.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
No candied yams?
No green bean casserole?
You will never find either of those on my Thanksgiving table either. They are on my least favorite things list. Yams are the last vegetable on earth that needs more sugar added (unless maybe you're turning them into pie), and I can't abide Campbell's canned cream soup casseroles. The almost universal compulsion to serve both at Thanksgiving these days is why I don't like going to someone else's house to eat on turkey day.

I'd show up for roast moose and blackberry cobbler, though. :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Turkey
mashed potatoes
gravy
stuffing
cranberry sauce
green beans {not casserole}
rolls {if I make it to the store}
pumpkin pie

Which reminds me tomorrow I gotta make pie.

The big cooking day is gonna be the day after lol. We have a 18lb turkey for 2 people. All the leftovers {minus what turkey I think will be eaten in a day or two} get turned into freezer meal "grandma's chicken and rice bake" casseroles the next day.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I haven't entirely decided on my menu, but I think maybe:

Pear, blue cheese, walnut, and arugula/watercress salad with a pear juice and white balsamic light vinaigrette dressing.

Roast duck with Cumberland sauce
Wild rice and chestnut dressing
Potatoes, rutabaga, and winter squash roasted in duck fat
Sauteed escarole and leek
Green beans with lemon and sumac
Spoon bread

Cranberry sorbet/gelato with dark chocolate dipped ginger lace cookies
(because I don't want a heavy dessert after all that)
Sweet potato chiffon pie in pecan and chocolate crumb crust
(because I'll want something more to feed my sweet tooth by Black Friday)

ETA: Just as a point of interest, if I sprouted some seeds into mesclun for the salad, subbed kale/collards for the escarole, and replaced fresh duck with duck confit, that whole menu could be produced from my food storage. There is no need for cooking from shelf-stable food storage to be boring, bland, or uninteresting, and you can still have a true Thanksgiving feast after SHTF or even TEOTWAWKI.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
No candied yams?
No green bean casserole?

What gives?

I'll let you slide on the lack of Pumpkin pie since there is Pecan on the list.
I don't eat candied yams, nasty ****, I prefer mine just boiled and salted. I do however like my green bean casserole although I crisp up a pound of bacon to crumble into the two cans of green beans and two cans of cream of mushroom soup.

Yeah kill me I do take shortcuts, just not on my stuffing, it starts out with homemade bread made the day before and dried in the oven.

·
Indefatigable
21,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yams are the last vegetable on earth that needs more sugar added :D
I worked with a group of midwives from all over the world. One from Africa made a yam dish with bananas, peanuts and just a bit of honey. I haven't had them American style with a ton of brown sugar and marshmallows since. I make just a few servings for myself to go with ham on New Years day.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Stuffing
Green bean casserole
Corn
Sweet potatoes (not ones that I want to eat)
Dinner rolls with maple butter
Cranberry fluff
Cottage cheese salad
Deviled eggs (I will be the one making these with homemade beef bacon in them)
Relish tray

Pumpkin pie
Mock pecan pie
Cherry pie

Can you tell my wife likes lots of sweet stuff?

·
Republic of Texas
1,841 Posts
Turkey
Loaded Mashed potatoes
Turkey Gravy
Deviled eggs
Homemade Yeast Rolls
Bread Stuffing (made from homemade bread like Potawatomi)
Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
Candied Yams (request from one of the kids - I will only do half of them this way since she asked. The other half will be a cinnamon butter mixture)
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Roasted Garlic butter and Parmesan Asparagus
Green Bean casserole (kid request)
Baked Mac n cheese (kid request)
Banana cream pie (hubby request)

·
Michigander
405 Posts
Pre Cooked Turkey breast from local grocery deli
Stove Top Stuffing (with cranberry pieces)
Reeser's brand deli Cranberry-Orange mix over Cottage Cheese
Idahoan Instant potatoes (garlic flavored)
Canned Green Beans
Canned Yams with some Brown sugar and Real Butter, microwaved
Real Butter, fresh ground pepper & some salt. Don't like gravy.

Time from start to plate... about 30 minutes, LOL
Served on the NEW DESIGN Dixie plates (3 layers). Unused drive-thru napkins & Fresh Plastic Ware.

A fresh Box of Zinfandel awaits...

Can you tell I'm currently single?

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
Pre Cooked Turkey breast from local grocery deli
Stove Top Stuffing (with cranberry pieces)
Reeser's brand deli Cranberry-Orange mix over Cottage Cheese
Idahoan Instant potatoes (garlic flavored)
Canned Green Beans
Canned Yams with some Brown sugar and Real Butter, microwaved
Real Butter, fresh ground pepper & some salt. Don't like gravy.

Time from start to plate... about 30 minutes, LOL
Served on the NEW DESIGN Dixie plates (3 layers). Unused drive-thru napkins & Fresh Plastic Ware.

A fresh Box of Zinfandel awaits...

Can you tell I'm currently single?
While that is not at all what I would want I think you are going all out for being single right now. I would probably just go with a BLT from whatever the best local pizza shop is, maybe eat a Hershey's dark chocolate bar, and wash it all down with a 12 pack, because hell why not?

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
While that is not at all what I would want I think you are going all out for being single right now. I would probably just go with a BLT from whatever the best local pizza shop is, maybe eat a Hershey's dark chocolate bar, and wash it all down with a 12 pack, because hell why not?
Back in the day when I was young and single I remember Christmas dinner being a couple burgers that I had grilled, a case of beer, and a Heath bar.

My tree that year was the end of a pine limb that I had cut off and stuck in an empty bottle and hung some beer bottle caps on suspended by fishing line.

·
Michigander
405 Posts
Back in the day when I was young and single I remember Christmas dinner being a couple burgers that I had grilled, a case of beer, and a Heath bar.

My tree that year was the end of a pine limb that I had cut off and stuck in an empty bottle and hung some beer bottle caps on suspended by fishing line.
Hmmm... Sounds like a plan next month!

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,021 Posts
Turkey
Dressing (not stuffing)
Praline Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
Deviled Eggs
Giblet Gravy
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Banana Cream Pie
French Silk Pie
Egg Nog

·
Indefatigable
21,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

My most memorable and unusual Christmas dinner was cooking it with my other 5 roommates in a NYC kitchen the size of a coat closet. We hung a tiny little tree upside down from the high ceiling and made construction paper snowflakes, popcorn and cranberry chains and added a few pieces of junk jewelry for decorations.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,734 Posts
Turkey
Dressing (not stuffing)
Praline Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
Deviled Eggs
Giblet Gravy
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Banana Cream Pie
French Silk Pie
Egg Nog
That sounds good especially the giblet gravy. I do have to ask out of ignorance though what is the difference between dressing and stuffing? I can assume that stuffing is inside of the bird and dressing outside, but you know what that makes us. When I make a turkey I always do the stuffing inside the bird, with ham it's outside of the bird, but simmered in homemade bone broth until the right consistancy.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts