Survivalist Forum banner

What is buttermilk?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  NY Min 
#1 ·
I've seen 2 things that you call buttermilk. One is the skim milk that's left after whipping heavy cream until it becomes butter, and the second is a fermented milk that's similar to a thinner yogurt. I've seen a lot of recipes of american fried chickens, saying to brine the chickens in buttermilk for the acidity to break down the protein in the chicken. It is clear that they were referring to the second thing, which is fermented, because this is the sour one, The other one, which is a skim milk that remains after making butter is not acidic at all, it is almost water mixed with a spoon of milk. Why these things that don't have anything in common are called the same.

#2 ·
They actually were related but probably before you were born. Butter before pasteurization was originally made from cultured cream, European butter still is. That left the original non fat acidic buttermilk. Nowadays American butter is sweet cream butter so the leftovers are different. To get the acidic product generally low fat milk is cultured, usually there is live culture left and you can use this faux buttermilk to culture more milk or cream to make more buttermilk or creme fraiche. I've got some buttermilk I cultured in my fridge now, I wouldn't even call it a liquid though it's thinner than yogurt. I left this batch out a bit long.

#3 ·
European butter
I'm from Europe and the industrial butter you find in supermarket is made the same way as american butter. Artisanal butter made by peasants using milk from their own cow is made from the cream that lifts on the top of the container containing milk over a period of 2 weeks, period in which, it ferments.

I didn't knew this. I bought some whipping cream and I whipped it until it became butter and the rests were something similar to this(this is a photo of a lady I found on internet making butter):
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

The liquid is a tasteless skim milk that is mostly water and milk protein, it is nowhere to be acidic. We refer to this as "zer" from latin: serum. 99% of yogurts found in supermarkets where I live are labeled as "greek recipe yogurt". When you open a greek yogurt, on the top it has a liquid which is also "zer". This one is acidic because of the yogurt underneath, however it is very liquid.

The other that is the true buttermilk used in fired chicken is something we refer as: "lapte acru"(lapte = milk, acru=sour, from latin "acrus"). Which is something, thicker than milk, but thinner than yogurt, which looks like this:
(this is also a googled image)
Food Liquid Ingredient Solution Bottle

#7 ·
Bulgarian buttermilk is a version of cultured buttermilk in which the cream cultures are supplemented or replaced by yogurt cultures and fermented at higher temperatures for higher acidity. It can be more tart and thicker than cultured buttermilk. It is very good in cooking and would be great for chicken.

#9 ·
Buttermilk is both the stuff left after making butter, AND the cultured sour stuff.

But in the US, you can really only buy the sour cultured kinds in most grocery stores.

As a kid, we’d buy raw milk from a neighbor, skim the cream, and put it in a mason jar to shake until we got butter. The “buttermilk” then got used in gravies or soups. That cream was sweet, we didn’t let it ferment.

My family never had much use for cultured buttermilk.

#10 · (Edited)
The original buttermilk, from cream collected and left to sit in the cool for a few days until there was enough to churn it all to make butter, was the farm wife's dependable baking powder. Just use it in place of fresh milk, add baking soda sufficient to neutralize it, and voila, fluffy tender pancakes, biscuits, and cakes. (It still gives a better result than baking powder.)

The instructions to "make buttermilk" by adding lemon juice or vinegar to milk are really instructions to produce an acid liquid to replace it in old-fashioned baking recipes calling for buttermilk. The result is not anything you would want to drink, but does supply the acid to combine with baking soda to leaven baked goods. Many people found the original buttermilk left from butter making was a refreshing drink as well as useful in baking, but that was no longer available when the dairy industry turned to using mechanical separators and producing sweet cream butter because that was faster and more profitable.

That's when cultured "buttermilk" appeared in stores as a substitute both for those who liked drinking a cultured dairy milk and for the many who had treasured recipes calling for it as leavening. (The texture and taste of modern commercial buttermilk is, however, a bit different from the original buttermilk from butter making due both to the bacterial culture used and leaving a bit of butterfat in the milk used.) Nowadays, buttermilk is disappearing from stores as many no longer have a taste for it, and most seem to have no idea what to do with it once they've used the 1 cup called for in a single recipe they have listing it as an ingredient. If you don't drink it regularly or make buttermilk biscuits or pancakes several times a week, buttermilk powder is the way to go. It will also store as well as nonfat milk powder in mylar with oxygen absorbers.

Those in the food industry actually have a choice of a few different buttermilk powders of different degrees of tanginess for different purposes. It is all from cultured milk rather than the result of butter making, though. Even Europe is making mostly sweet cream butter now because of the economics of industrialized production. Fortunately, the dairy industry has now created a booming market for whey protein derived from the milk fluid left from both cheese and sweet butter making. They just need to keep those body builders and smoothie makers coming. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.