Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last year I've been gradullay building up my supplies for self sufficient living no matter what the circumstances. I had almost nothing when I started. I just made lists, endless lists, and started ticking stuff off. Now, there are still numerous things that are a bit on the largish size that I need, but don't have the money for at the moment.

So I thought, if I buy stuff like sugar and flour, stock cubes, vinegar, salt, etc. I may be able to trade those for some of the stuff I need later.

I pictured a scenario where the supermarkets are empty, I need stove, or lopper, or water tank, or.... etc. how much would a bag of sugar be worth? could I trade two bags of sugar for a stove?

This made me wonder what the most valuable things would be, that I can get relatively inexpensively now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have large quantities of rice prepacked in 1-2 cup portions (expand to 2-4 cups cooked) specicifally set aside for trade also prepacked Tootise rolls..sounds crazy but cheap chocolate for creature comforts. Just a couple of examples..

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
3,696 Posts
i like the $1 bottles of aspirin at the dollar store, i pick up a handfull everytime i go there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Vinegar, iodised salt as well as uniodised salt, all kind of spices.

NB:
Salt that is iodised with iodide may slowly lose its iodine content by exposure to excess air over long periods. The halogen iodide, over time and exposure to excess oxygen and carbon dioxide, slowly oxidizes to metal carbonate and elemental iodine, which then evaporates
Source wikipedia.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Water

Water goes without saying, But food and fuel will also be at a premium. I think it is also dictated by what is in short supply in your neck of the country at the time. Regional areas will have different demands. As for me and mine, we have a supply of home canned goods from food we grew, freezers full of chicken we raised and the means to keep them frozen, Water from the well and a way to purify it, and plenty of ammo to defend it. We can make fire. multiple ways.
Later on, in an extended situation when food has been secured by the strong survivors, spices will be premium.people like flavor.
Sugar always has value (and quick energy).
JMHO

Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Daisy: Practice haggling now. You can get at least 10% off on 70-80% of retail purchases just by asking in some box stores. Or another area, try with any contract services you might pick up. Making money off of consiging goods, etc...

Note: IRS taxes exchange value on some barter services that they become aware of. Be informed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yup. I stock up on cheapo lighters as barter items.

.22lr ammo is cheap as heck and effective. You want to talk about bang for the buck? .04 cents per .22lr bullet which can put a rabbit on the dinner table?

If you get a good water filter tell your neighbors. "You bring me 5 gallons of dirty water, I'll give you back 2 of clean." Keep the extra 3 gallons as profit. Make them fetch your stream water. People are drinking chlorinated pool water in Japan right now.

If you don't know how to grow a garden, get started. Knowledge would be a huge trade item. As will skinning, gutting, and butchering game animals.

Above all. Never stock anything for barter that you can't use. Feminine hygiene stuff would be a good barter item. But I'll never need it to survive. So why spend the money?

That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Food,,, hands down!
In most of the southeast water is plentiful,,,,and mostly stays that way.
Food is plentiful too but harder to obtain as it can tend to hide,,,,and most folks don't know where to look,,,,"What?,,,,, where's McD's!?!?!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I bought lots of Dollar Tree items for barter
buckets
almuminum foil
toothpaste
lotion
reading glasses
beef jerkey
emergency candles
lighters

I also have lots of seed.... lots and lots of seeds.

Matches are another item that I buy tons of for trade.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I will not trade ammo, there is too great a potential for it to return to me or mine pointy end first. I primarily stockpile instant coffee, tobacco,and rolling papers for trade. The instant coffee stores practically indefinitely, provided it is kept dry. I don't waste my time with cartons or packs of pre-rolled ,filtered cigarettes. I go to a tobacco shop, buy a large 1 pound bag of pipe tobacco for about $27.00 and a case of those rolling papers. I have also set aside a few cases of those cheap rolling machines. They only cost me about $2.00 apiece. I won't barter TP. While cheap and plentiful now, it is a relatively bulky item, so I keep that for our own use. TP

1 - 20 of 122 Posts