Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what an Upper and Lower are for an AR-15? And why would you buy them?
If you had an AR-15, would you buy them for parts?

Any explanation would be helpful.

Thanks

Jesse

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Google is your friend...

·
Registered
237 Posts
The upper and lower receiver is what you're referring to, I reckon. If you have an AR-15 and it shoots bullets you already have an upper and a lower... FYI, the lower is the trigger mechanism and what lets the rounds pass thru and holds the rest of it all together, the upper is the slide or mechanism that the rounds get shot through. The lower is really what is controlled by the feds. and FFL's.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Google is your friend..."
True.
Sometimes it's just easier to be lazy and have others just tell me. I do it to my wife all the time. ;)

Thanks for the explanation.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,222 Posts
Just curious what an Upper and Lower are for an AR-15? And why would you buy them?
If you had an AR-15, would you buy them for parts?

Any explanation would be helpful.

Thanks

Jesse
AR15.com more than you could possibly want to know about AR15's

and you should have spare parts for every weapon you own but if you had a spare upper and a spare lower you would actually have a spare AR15 since the two together would make an entire weapon...

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
An upper is the part that contains the bolt and bolt carrier group. If you want to have a complete upper it would also have the barrel and all other parts attached. The lower is actually a square piece of metal that is the gun. You attach the stock and the fire control pieces to this. You buy the lower separate from everything else so you do not have to pay gun taxes on the whole assembled gun. The AR is one of the few guns that a civilian without a major shop can build themselves at home. As for replacement parts I do not really know what you might need. If they outlaw the evil guns there will be enough of them out there that they will be making parts of them for years. Within the past week I would bet that more than a million have been sold. Hopefully within the next month the suppliers will catch up and the parts will come down in price and we will not be paying exorbitant prices for these parts. This really depends on the greediness of the dealers though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts