Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not new to guns, but I am new to buying gun parts kits. I own an AK-47 and was wanting to buy some extra parts for it. As I searched around I have seen some parts kits that include most of the parts of the gun except a few, like the receiver. The kits look like guns that had been broken down into multiple parts for sale, like the gun had been decommissioned. What is a gun parts kit exactly? Thanks.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
It is a essentially a rifle that has been blow-torched in half. You can use them for spare parts, or buy a serial numbered reciever and re-assemble the rifle with enough American parts to make it legal. This is a big undertaking, since most AK style rifles are in rough shape to begin with, without the torch cutting! Then you have to remove the parts from the old reciever, like the barrel and trunion and whatnot, so you can reuse them on your new reciever. Then you have to headspace, refinish the wood, and all that stuff. After buying a cheap Romanian AK kit and building one, I vowed never to do it again. It is worth it to just buy a complete one through a dealer, since you have to use a dealer anyway to transfer the reciever for you. Just my take on it, others may find it easier to build one from a kit. It's much easier for me just to cough up the extra 100 bucks and buy one that's already done.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,005 Posts
I know some guys cranking them out from flats, but if you don't buy a pre-bent numbered receiver from a dealer you can never sell them, so why waste the parts?

They are stuck with them.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I know some guys cranking them out from flats, but if you don't buy a pre-bent numbered receiver from a dealer you can never sell them, so why waste the parts?

They are stuck with them.
Actually you can (Transfer a gun whose reciever you built.)
It just has to follow certain criteria:

-WHEN you built it... you had to have had the INTENT to keep it.
(Grey area... if thery catch you selling 27 of them at a gunshow they will nail you for Manufracturing)

- Before you sell it you must enscribe it with:
Serial number
Your name
Your Town (and I THINK state)

-I don't think I've missed anything, but check.

I've built over a dozen AK's, just one off of a 100% reciever.

·
ÐìrtýÐëëdsÐøñëÐìrtÇhëâþ
387 Posts
Actually... Although they Recommend it, you do Not Have to mark it At All.. you can sell it as is, as long as you did not build it with the intent to sell.

It's not a big deal to build kits if you have a lil mechanical knowledge... and their are "Build Parties" all over the country where groups of Free Americans get together and share tools / experience to assemble kits.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I or buy a serial numbered reciever and re-assemble the rifle with enough American parts to make it legal..
Or buy a flat without the serial numbers and build it yourself leaving big brother in the dark if you did the face to face with cash thing. I would check state laws though as I hear some are not happy with home builders. YMMV.
That's why you do something you can't sell later.
Though not something you want to if you have never done anything mechanical but it isn't an impossible task.
As for selling it I would not advise building a rifle and selling it unless you find out from ATF and your locality how far under the jail they would toss you.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Actually... Although they Recommend it, you do Not Have to mark it At All.. you can sell it as is, as long as you did not build it with the intent to sell.
It's not a big deal to build kits if you have a lil mechanical knowledge... and their are "Build Parties" all over the country where groups of Free Americans get together and share tools / experience to assemble kits.
Had not heard that... got a link?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.