Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site so i'm not sure if this question has been asked before.
I'm sure most of us have family or friends that we could pass it off to but what if there are no one? Just think, all your guns, ammo, food, everything you worked hard to build and nothing happens. It's an odd question but a question nontheless.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My supply is only meant to last until "Plan B" can be implemented, what ever that may be. For me, "Plan B" is where the real preparedness comes in. To lay up and make available materials and supplies that produce food or gain food by other means. The reality is that nuclear fallout or similar situation may lead to all being abandon. While each and every item I lay up is hopefully buying me another day or another mile, I try my best to keep filling the tool box between my ears with useful stuff, too. It may come down to that tool box being the only thing between me and my maker.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I contantly use and replace my supplies, so they are in a constant state of rotation. Food preps would be used up in less that a year for alot of things. Other non food items would just be divied up amongst family and friends I guess.

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
I'm sure most of us have family or friends that we could pass it off to but what if there are no one? Just think, all your guns, ammo, food, everything you worked hard to build and nothing happens. It's an odd question but a question nontheless.
Your saying two things? So, when your dead it won't matter, if nothing happens it will be like the last 58 years I have lived, if something happens it might be easier to get along, if I die my familey gets the goodies including my place. Mark

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I have put up enought to last awhile

I can almost go for 4 years for 8 people without any supplement of any type. Plus they are doing it as well not to my extreem but most are shooting for a solid 2 years. Thats also not including 48 fruit trees,and so many blackberry,bosenberry,hucklberry,blueberry,along with all sorts of other berrys. Ohh we even got our first crop of goji berries this year. Well we need to plant another 30 or so for how many we want. Thats just so if we have crop problems we will got go hungry. We already supply almost all of our own fruit and veggies If I could only have a few avocados trees it would be bliss. With our garden, trees,rabbits,and chickens,netting salmon that run in our creek,any elk that gets to close to the garden or any other things. I really beleive I could forsee having most of my long term stuff never being touched.
So I tend to beleive we can hold out for food without a problem. As far as zombies you never know how that will go. Thats the luck of the draw all you can do is take precautions. Also we burried most of everything long term just to keep it out of quick theifs .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm concerned about not outliving my preps. Anything left over when we're gone goes to the support group though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats basically the answer to my question. The perishables I understand but it just the rest of the supply was always my question.
I guess if i'm gone then I dont need to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
a) if my stuff outlives me it ill probably go to my family or the gov [student loan] (got less than a year suply so thats doubtful)
b) if i outlive my stuff ill probably go get Rascals's stuff j/k probably gona try groing stuff and hunting stuff

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I see your question as more along the lines of: I've spent all this money and nothing happen. What a waste of money! The answer should be a question: What have I bought that I haven't been able to use? Guns? Hunting/target shooting. Camping gear- Should've been taking the family camping, Food- rotate and eat, Everthing you've bought for prepping should have an everyday use. If you view prepping as collecting yeah in the end if nothing has happen you not only wasted your money you've missed the point. AS far as noone to pass it on(no family,friend,group) donate to charities who will either use it or sell it and use the money.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
This is where some organisation and thought out planning comes into play. Unless you have shot your wad on guns and ammo like a 12 year old at the county fair, you should be able to obtain and rotate supplies so there is no or little waste. Guns are non-perishable, as is most ammo, if properly stored. Another piece of advice is to examine your ideas of survival and try to get a true picture of what you may be facing. Some folks envision a daily stand off against a never ending onslaught of Zombies. Like sitting in a duck blind picking off non-thinking, non-retaliating B-29 targets day after day, head yer butt on in to the lodge for chili and beer and hit it again tomorrow. You would need thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo on hand. I picture things different. With some proper training, one would not need to rely on "spray and pray" combat techniques. Ammo would stretch out over a longer period of time. I do anticipate a collapse. I do not anticipate a long term regression into the dark ages, wearing of Loin Cloths and one-syllable grunts as means of communication. There are too many people here with wives. Wives do not like to go to the bathroom outside. Men, wanting to experience the benefits of domestic bliss, will go to work to get plumbing working again. That will be the beginning of the rebuilding of society, communications, travel and our infrastructure. You might envision life as sleeping in a bunker and doing your business squatted over a log, but they who control the sex in this world ain't gonna live like that long. Many here have experienced the loneliness and isolation that accompanies the transgressions of leaving a toilet seat up. Expecting the little woman to be satisfied butting up to tree is pure fantasy. You will not out live your supplies. For a short course in keeping an effective pantry, check with the good folks of the LDS.

http://www.providentliving.org/

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Many times I've said that I hope my eulogy includes a statement to the effect that "this old fool colllected guns, ammo and other ay supplies for 60 years and never needed it. God bless his soul."

I am currently collecting books about how to do things off grid so that my family can carry on after I'm gone. If there were no family I assume it would be sold off in the estate sale, meaning someone else with a similar mindset would benefit from my investment...

Allan

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
If I out live my preps, then I would call it mission accomplished then will the preps to my wife and kids hoping they get use out of them.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
Well if you die before using them, I'm sure someone else is going to find a home for them
If you run out, you're going to have to go to plan B and make/grow your own goods.

Preps don't last forever and will run out eventually over time

They are a safety net so when shtf, you won't be running around like the general population when things go wrong.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
The idea is to have a year (or however long) set aside. That's a full year like I live now. That can probably be streached to 15 to 16 months by watching what we consume.

During that time, hopefully, a crop will come in and that will extend another 6-8 months. Add that to a few chickens, eggs and a productive hunt and the one year supply can really be worked out longer.

That's my plan. Rotate and never stop adding to the larder.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts