Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I've been thinking about for a couple weeks but it only really crystalized a couple days ago.

What if, you decided not to wait to quarantine, but NEVER to quarantine, no matter how many got sick...but instead decided to fight this thing?

We talk about closing roads, organizing with our neighbors, getting on our radios and planning a full on community WAR for SHTF. We spend thousands on guns, ammo, body armor, scopes, drones, radio's etc etc.

Why are we almost universally planning on running away from Corona?

Maybe planning for quarantine is entirely the wrong line of thinking.

Maybe we should be gearing up the militia for biowarfare on this thing.

I'm seriously thinking about it. About giving up on all the talk about how long I could isolate and how well....and figuring out how to gear up to FIGHT it.

Heavy duty, full body PPE, outdoor clorine wash, decon room gear storage, dedicated response and transport vehicle.

Going medieval on this bastard with all the dedication that we always talk about using against raider, TPTB, etc.

Reactions: SoJ_51 and Sprig

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Deciding, way to early on, to fight something that you know nothing about, seems like a bad idea.

I'm over a half century old, and my immune system may not be up to the task.:xeye:

The risk to reward ratio, for me, seems to be way to high.:mad:

In my opinion, it's to new for anyone to really know what to expect if one decides to get into the ring with this thing.

ON EDIT:
I missed this sentence on the first read and reply.
Heavy duty, full body PPE, outdoor clorine wash, decon room gear storage, dedicated response and transport vehicle...
The problem is that I know I don't remember how to properly doff and decon; and I'd been professionally military trained many years ago. Make just ONE mistake on doff/decon and one is no better off then not wearing the PPE in the first place.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would need a pretty hefty supply cabinet for your "fight".
No different than the civil war etc we are always talking about fighting. What to do think the average value of our SHTF Armories are? $5k? $10K

The risk to reward ratio, for me, seems to be way to high.
Story of my life.

The problem is that I know I don't remember how to properly doff and decon; and I'd been professionally military trained many years ago. Make just ONE mistake on doff/decon and one is no better off then not wearing the PPE in the first place.
No different than the risk of sticking your head out at the wrong time and catching a bullet to the face in the boogaloo.

Its been about ten years for me since I was trained in it, but I imagine the info is out there. If they could stamp out Ebola in Sierra Leone with suits made from garbage bags I imagine I could do something here.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Semper Fi
8,973 Posts
Yes but if you don't already have all the stuff you need it's a little late in the game to try to stock up for a year(s)? long war.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes but if you don't already have all the stuff you need it's a little late in the game to try to stock up for a year(s)? long war.
Oh...but I do.....I've always viewed this as a highly likely scenario. I haven't prepped as hard as I wish...probably most of us could say that. But I've always thought that this was coming, if not as THE SHTF but certainly at least as a follow up complication.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
...Its been about ten years for me since I was trained in it, but I imagine the info is out there. If they could stamp out Ebola in Sierra Leone with suits made from garbage bags I imagine I could do something here.
The USAF sent a crapload of aircraft, manpower, knowledge, and supplies out of JBLM not long before the end of the significant Ebola event. I was in Yelm at the time and I heard the aircraft fly over. And, I found an article that made some mention of the supplies being sent by JBLM.

I did post about the event on this forum, it should be searchable.

Now, if you want to take this serious, what needs to be done is training.

I suppose one way to go about this is to grab a bottle of automotive air conditioning refrigerant with the UV dye to detect leaks. Don gear, puncture can, get exposed, doff/decon and take a UV light to check for any residual "contamination".

NOTE: The MOPP4 NBC gear that I wore was fabric and charcoal based (I think). The suit was designed to absorb and hold any foreign agent inside the gear.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suppose one way to go about this is to grab a bottle of automotive air conditioning refrigerant with the UV dye to detect leaks. Don gear, puncture can, get exposed, doff/decon and take a UV light to check for any residual "contamination".
That is a fantastic idea.

And I don't say that often. I don't think I ever would have thought of that.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
As I read this thread, I'm not sure whether to be in a state of disbelief or amazement. What exactly are you planning on fighting? Gearing up the militia for bio-warfare? The average person probably doesn't know how to properly use a condom much less use PPE. I'd give that idea up in a minute. And no, for some things I am NOT going to get my training via Youtube.

Here is how I am planning to fight it: a proper diet filled with the nutrients most Americans do NOT get in the SAD. Appropriate supplements including multivitamins and Vitamin C. Fresh citrus, which we have plenty of thanks to a recent trip to PHX. Exercise....very important. Hydration.....staying well hydrated. If we have to go out, minimize exposure to crowded areas. No business travel for me for the next 1-2 months.

Now that the weather is starting to warm in the central desert the risk will hopefully decrease.

·
Ebola brought me here
159 Posts
That’s been my plan all along.

Already have the garage set up for wet decon.

Got me some of those yellow tyveks that can be scrubbed, rubber boots, chem gloves and nitrile gloves, splash goggles, faceshields, p-100.

I’ll use the atv for supply trips since it’s easier to decon.

Open garage, step in tub, have the disinfectant solution in a bucket with a soft scrub brush and rag, scrub everything, stand around and give the disinfectant time to work. Step outta the tub, doff most PPE, hang it up. Turn on ozone generator before I leave garage.

Only thing I’m not settled on is what disinfectant to use and what quantity. I’m stocked up on bleach, so to disinfect the PPE I should at least do a 1:9 bleach to water ratio, but I don’t know what ratio would be safe for my skin.

Or maybe I should scrub my face with soap and water after I removed most of the PPE but before I remove the nitrile gloves I was wearing under my heavy duty gloves...

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The average person probably doesn't know how to properly use a condom much less use PPE.
The average person is not us.

Isn't the entire point of prepping not to be as useless as the average person??

If we can't fight this because we aren't well enough trained, we may as well sell all our guns, ammo, food, bunkers, etc too.

Somebody is going to have to go pick up the bodies, or take the sick to the hospital. Why not me? Should I just sit up on my hill and eat my preps while all the old folks down in the valley die in their beds?

Sorry billy, granny's gonna die because I quite my job last week...oh, and sorry billy, now that grannies dead you have to just deal with the body rotting in the bedroom because I'M certainly not going to come down and help it out....oh yeah, your also exposed so I hope you can figure out how to feed yourself until this is all over.

How would I justify owning any of the other stuff I do if I'm just going to sit this one out?

How do would I live with myself?

Serious questions....I'm looking for an out here....and not finding one.

·
Swirl Herder
3,717 Posts
If you mean you want to stop people getting the virus - then you will be fighting against the stupidity/normalcy bias of those people.

If you mean you want to save people who get the virus - then you will need intensive care capability and specifically ventilators, testing equipment and a big range of drugs.

Do you have any of those capabilities?

I am just wondering what specific weapons you (or any of us prepper types) can bring to this fight......

Edit to add: If you are talking about your work as an EMT, then as you have posted before, once the patients you transport from their homes to the ER are no longer being admitted, what is the point?

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
How would I justify owning any of the other stuff I do if I'm just going to sit this one out?

How do would I live with myself?
When I was enlisted in the USAF, I was given a little booklet titled "Survive to Fight".

This may be a Global event. Surviving, may mean physically fighting to keep America great.

Aerindel, you do not seem to have what it takes to be on the first line of this situation. However, you can choose to survive to take on the next fight.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aerindel, you do not seem to have what it takes to be on the first line of this situation. However, you can choose to survive to take on the next fight.
Well, I'm already there. If I can't fight this, I need to quite my job because otherwise I'm guaranteed to get it if it spreads this far. If I do nothing I will be second patient. I literally am standing on that front line anyway. To choice is to turn and run, or stand and fight.

If you mean you want to save people who get the virus - then you will need intensive care capability and specifically ventilators, testing equipment and a big range of drugs.
They have to get to the hospital somehow.

Heck, there may be a large number of people that just need someone to bring them some water when they are too sick to get out of bed...or take care of their kids after they die in it.

If nothing else, just pulling the bodies out of the houses.

There a hundred ways to fight it without having your own ICU.

I am just wondering what specific weapons you (or any of us prepper types) can bring to this fight......
Our hands, our heads. The same ones as everyone else.

What is needed is armor so that a person could do the work of fighting a pandemic in their community without falling victim to it themselves.

·
Swirl Herder
3,717 Posts
Well, I'm already there. If I can't fight this, I need to quite my job because otherwise I'm guaranteed to get it if it spreads this far. If I do nothing I will be second patient. I literally am standing on that front line anyway. To choice is to turn and run, or stand and fight.

They have to get to the hospital somehow.

Heck, there may be a large number of people that just need someone to bring them some water when they are too sick to get out of bed...or take care of their kids after they die in it.

If nothing else, just pulling the bodies out of the houses.

There a hundred ways to fight it without having your own ICU.

Our hands, our heads. The same ones as everyone else.

What is needed is armor so that a person could do the work of fighting a pandemic in their community without falling victim to it themselves.
I admire your courage.

The study of a Wuhan hospital published in JAMA from the end of January indicated that of the patients under intensive treatment, 40% were Health Care workers.

The study did not say if they were all health care workers from that hospital or if they had been drawn from a wider area. But either way, it looked as though treatment of each two (severely ill) patients knocked out more than one health care worker (with severe illness).

You can look at those stats two ways:

1) They are going to need all the help they can get to either avoid or delay the onset of severe cases going effectively untreated (left to resolve themselves)

or

2) All health care workers and those who replace the fallen ones will have a 100% chance of getting the virus and will just have to hope they do not die from it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts