Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two "homes" because of work, chicago and san antonio, and i have done some basic planning for both locations. To compound the problem, i travel to locations over 3/4 of the USA at least two weeks out of every month.

I can not carry knifes or other tools on me when i fly, and stuff i have put in my checked bags seem to dissapeir often. so there is a good chance when sshtf. ill be caught in a place where i know very few people, wont know the city well, no gear, no supplies, no firearm..

I know some of you speak with great pride, almost arrogance, about how ready you are, but have you thought what you would do if tshtf happens when you are away from home, or for some reason your home location is destroyed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I worry every time I load the family for vacation or Holiday travels. In-laws live in Illinois, don't fancy getting stopped there with an arsenal in the trunk. Usually pack a good flash light, good side arm, several mags and extra ammo, plenty of cash and have gotten to know the alternate routes to and from destination.

What scares me is being on the road and separated from wife and kids if something major happens.

·
Registered
543 Posts
This is exactly where "preps" go from the stuff you have ready to your mind and your "intestinal fortitude" and you have to begin to ask yourself how prepared YOU are,,,not your stuff,,,YOU.
Supplies are ALWAYS available. What are PREPARED to do?

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I have two "homes" because of work, chicago and san antonio, and i have done some basic planning for both locations. To compound the problem, i travel to locations over 3/4 of the USA at least two weeks out of every month.

I can not carry knifes or other tools on me when i fly, and stuff i have put in my checked bags seem to dissapeir often. so there is a good chance when sshtf. ill be caught in a place where i know very few people, wont know the city well, no gear, no supplies, no firearm..

I know some of you speak with great pride, almost arrogance, about how ready you are, but have you thought what you would do if tshtf happens when you are away from home, or for some reason your home location is destroyed?
If you travel to the same cities fairly often you can rent storage units there and establish supply caches. If your schedule is more random you can mail / UPS / FedEx packages containing supplies to those cities to be held until you call for them, and send them on or back to your home when you leave. You can look up on the Internet the addresses of gun shops, camping supply, auto and equipment rental, sporting goods, and food stores in the cities you're going to visit and carry lots of cash so you know where to go if things start going bad. You can bury or hide caches in places other than your home location and scout out secondary or even tertiary BOLs in case your home or main BOL is destroyed.

People are only as unprepared as they allow themselves to be.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
I used to travel out of town constantly to gun shows. Since I drove, I could carry supplies. But even then, space is limited. One of my biggest fears was being stuck out of town when the SHTF. I cached fuel, water and supplies along my most commonly travelled routes. But even then, that was just in an attempt to get home. If home was out of the question, life would get very complicated quickly, as there's no way to carry anything to sustain me long term. I would have to improvise accordingly.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I almost hate going on vacation for this reason - almost. We keep GhB's in the vehicle even when traveling for vacations.

One thing I would say is - if it is completely out of the blue that is one thing but if there is a run up to whatever the SHTF scenario is, traveling out of anything but necessity is foolish

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts

I too have two "homes" , my residence in N.Texas, and a "crash pad" in Florida . I have to go to Fla to oversee that side of the business about twice a month too. I have always wanted to fly, so I built my business in such a way as to support a small GA a/c. Now, don't get the wrong impression, I'm hardly what anyone would consider a jetsetter/ Donald Trump wannabe,ha,ha! I just don't like other people driving w/ me in the car or flying me around, I prefer to be in control. I have storage spaces in Florida, and a small storage spot in Louisiana where I refuel. I no longer have the hassle of dealing w/ the TSA goobers. The only time I got stuck was on 11 Sept 2001, I had to put down in Alabama, and rent a car. I know this is not the norm for most people, but like I said, the whole idea of starting my own business was because of my TOTAL DISGUST for Corporate America ( trading my TIME for a few dollars, where loyalty is a one way street= from wage slave to company) and to allow me to have a small plane. I can get home. TP

·
Registered
639 Posts
What scares me is being on the road and separated from wife and kids if something major happens.
Same here, I only commute an hour away but if I were to get stuck away from home I would worry immensely. Barring an EMP, Nuke or Earthquake I should be ok for getting home though. Luckily my wife is a good shot.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
perhaps i'm missing something, but the majority of my survival plans are based around having to survive without a shelter or home, having to find/make shelter, keep moving, etc. i sort of assume if i'm having to survive, that means i have nothing to start with. (also, most of my survival plans are based around me being in the backcountry and something happens and i have to survive, sort of the same thing) so the answer to your question is, "yes, i think i'm prepared to survive if my home location is destroyed or if i'm traveling."

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I travel for work; my BOB (with the exception of my firearm and Bic lighter) goes in checked inside a locked pelican. If I need to take my firearm and or I'm staying for an extended length of time I send the entire thing UPS Signature tracking to my hotel.

I have a complete inventory sheet of my "camping equipment" and the replacement prices of each with my address that I place right on top where they can see it when they open my bag.

So far I have had 34ish TSA checks to my checked bag in 6 years of travel and no missing items.

My BOB gets me 3 days to anywhere CONUS 4 if I’m careful.

Now in a major SHTF it may take longer but that’s one of those chance things you take by traveling for work.

I always talk to a hertz rent a car agent and see if there is any way I can keep a car available for rent should I need it.

I do enough business with those folks that a face to face with the Hertz manager usually means if something happens (911 / snowed in etc) I can get a car fast and drive out of the area.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
If I was back doing a lot of traveling here's what I would do. I would load up my hikeing backpack with my camping gear ie water filter, stove, sleepingbag, tent,ect.(everything needed for a long hike) and place it in a large duffel bag. In my second bag goes my business clothes ect. As long as I can get to my backpacking duffel I'll have a lot covered except for a gun and fuel for the stove.
With baggage cost nowdays I know its not cheap, but what other choice do you have.

In the end it comes down to taking advantage of whats available and as MikeK points out improvise accordingly.

·
Registered
576 Posts
A good pair of hiking boots,a leatherman,the fiscal stamina to go the distance and the mindset of a survivalist is all that is necessary to survive.:thumb:

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
A good pair of hiking boots,a leatherman,the fiscal stamina to go the distance and the mindset of a survivalist is all that is necessary to survive.:thumb:
Sure but who wants to try it?

If I'm already humping it from point A to point B then why not carry a bit more to make it a bit easier. I can always barter stuff or toss it on the side of the road if absolutely necessary.

·
What would Mal do
4,920 Posts
feel your pain... I too travel a lot for work....full north america (used to be global).

used to be even a 4 hour drive city to city was a quick hop on a regular flight...nowadays I find myself making a rental car drive up to the 8 hr mark rather than put up with the airlines/TSA and being in a city with no resources.

This month so far I have made 2 trips...both were in the 8 hr distance...full BOB in the trunk plus additional supplies.

when I do have to fly (as I will be doing this week).. I spend the extra money to check a bag that has a small medical kit in it, a knife, and a multi-tool.
If my return flight screws up, which happens often, then I know I might be stuck with my bag and have to "surrender" my terror tools..so I don't pack expensive ones.
I also carry my laptop bag on board, and always have some food bars, some small toiletries, and make sure to buy a couple bottles of water once through security...having spent 4 hrs held hostage on the tarmac before I know it's nice to have water/food/magazine, etc.

to your point, I do what I can on a flight trip to have some resouce, but I hate that my job requires travel and I know that should I get caught in a shtf event while away from home, that I won't have to worry about zombies.. I will beat myself to death for putting myself in that situation just for a paycheck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Talking strictly about flight not much you can do. Since you cant carry a knife, lighter, or gun past TSA.

What I do is make sure I have $200-300 in cash no matter what the flight. You want to be able to buy stuff easily if the pre-cursor to SHTF starts, such as ATMs down. Small bills and coins also so you can raid vending machines.

Not too much cash though or you'll again be hassled by TSA for having "drug money".

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,417 Posts
I've reduced my travel for business by roughly 90%. The 5-6 trips I do per year are usually by rental car or to the same small Midwest town. Plus my ranch is only 100 miles from this travel location.

I cached some camping goods and weapons on the ranch, but my real solution is travel less and reduce the odds.

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
Whenever we take a Road Trip, I always have my BOB/GHB, my travel totes containing some extra MRE's, easy fix food and "Truck camping gear", a case of bottled water. I also have a filled 5 gallon water container, the small travel Berkey, and a 12 ga pump broken down and rolled up in a blanket or sleeping bag along with a 50 round bandolier of ammo. I always have my travel pistol of choice (usually a Glock 30 or 19) and 5 spare mags in the cab with me. My wife takes a compact CCW gun, like a Titanium S&W 357 2" and a few speedloaders and speed strips.
The rest stays locked up in the camper shell of the truck. Just a couple of plastic totes, a water container and rolled up sleeping bags in the truck bed. Doesn't take up much room. I usually never travel to the Communist States where a gun in the truck would be a problem. Just won't spend my money there. I think our CCW Permits are recognized in about 40 or so states now.

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts

This is where you have to learn some scavenger techniques. Carry a few silver dollars (even a few gold dollars or just one hidden in your wallet) with you in your pocket, not in your luggage as the TSA will just steal them. Even wear a solid or 18k gold necklace with another solid gold object on the end and wear it at all times, never put it in the luggage. This can also be used for trade. (Hide it under your shirt at all times unless you have to take it off for the airport.)

Carry with you a bladder bag (empty) and a carton of survival bars with different flavors. Flash light (small LED one) and a few packs of Camel cigarettes. (Even if you don't smoke, good for trade for a knife on your journey.) Also take along a beanie cap and a warm jacket that is weather proof, maybe even some nice thinsulate gloves.

Now, when SHTF and you are stuck landing at some airport and or get stuck in a hotel room, your options left are to do some scavenging. You go out and start to dig up supplies. Your duffel bag is now your BOB, which you will find the things needed to start working your way towards the closest home or BOL you have already in place.

What is available in the hotel rooms that you can take with you? Those little bottles of juice, water, finger nail clippers, a nail filer, toilet paper, towel, soap, a change of clothing or two, the sheets off the bed (just the thin sheet) and what ever else you can find. Fill your bladder bag with what water you can find the room, if power is out, use the water from the back of the toilet at a gas station or store or where ever you can find water even it is from bottled water. (It is mostly clean and good enough to drink.)

Trade, some of you clothing you can use for trade. Buy a watch that has a compass on it. Carry maps of those states you have to go through to get back to one of your BOL's or homes. This is important if you are going to do the long trek back home.

Now some will not agree with my logic on this, but this is what I would do because it is the fastest way to get back home and takes less fuel. Find a motorcycle dealer and buy a used motorcycle that he will trade for that gold dollar or even with the gold necklace included for the purchase. Even with some cash if you have to. What ever he will take. (Make sure to get a hand pump and some green slime from the dealer if he has it as well so you can fix your own tire flats along the way). The silver is your ticket to either fuel or food along the way. Some will say get a cheap car, but cars take more fuel and can get stuck in traffic and if bridges are out you can still find some train tracks still up to get across on a motorcycle. (Or areas where water may be easier to cross on a motorcycle.)

You can travel faster across different terrain with a motorcycle, even off road and get through tight spots in the city.

I have met many people who have gone across country on a motorcycle and they have slept under bridges, or where ever they could find shelter when they had no money, so the same with a SHTF scenario. Just get off the road and hidden and stick it out when the weather is bad or you need some sleep.

The choice is either stick it out in a place that will get nasty over a period of days or get out and head to a place you know your chances of survival are better. If you have everything at your home, then head for your home.

It may take a few days to get there, you may end up on foot the last day if the bike has problems you are not able to fix, but the idea is to cover as much distance as possible by means of some sort of transportation so you are closer to your home.

The rest of what you need you trade/barter or scavenge as you head towards your home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts