Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listening to NPR and AFR on the way home last night, talking about Libya and Syria attacking and killing their own people, after what started as peaceful protests. The way the US is and has condemmed the governments for the killings and how they should step down, how the people have spoken, how they need to heed what the people want, yadda, yadda, etc, etc. It got me to wondering, for all of the posturing and pro-citizen comments and statements of the US government, what would happen here if the "people" here were to rise up and start protesting the US government and demanding real changes in policy and the government. I'm not talking about complete overthrow, but real positive changes. How long do you think the government would take it before it lashed out with armed force and we started having "Kent State's" happening. What would the government claim then, what excuses would it use to the rest of the world for it's actions. I dought this would happen here (the protests that is), there are not enough citizens with any back bone left to stand up, but it makes for an interesting thought. Thanks

·
Member - it's a euphemism
770 Posts
The tea party is not a majority, or even a large proportion of the population. I think he was referring to the masses.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
People vote. Slow process but thats what we do to make changes. That is how the tea party started. they have done ALOT in a short time aswell. as far as Arabs rising up? I doubt it. They have it too good here.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People vote. Slow process but thats what we do to make changes. That is how the tea party started. they have done ALOT in a short time aswell. as far as Arabs rising up? I doubt it. They have it too good here.
No I dont mean the *********, themselves. i mean a popular up rising of the people in general, since the politicians tell you what you want to hear until they get in.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
..... yeah ....

The tea party

Real change.

Change cannot happen if the people don't know what the new idea is.

Not to go into a political debate but we really don't have a united this is what needs to be done idea yet.

maybe in the furture

We've done it once maybe will have civil war 2 (now its personal) coming to theaters this summer

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
..... yeah ....

The tea party

Real change.

Change cannot happen if the people don't know what the new idea is.

Not to go into a political debate but we really don't have a united this is what needs to be done idea yet.

maybe in the furture

We've done it once maybe will have civil war 2 (now its personal) coming to theaters this summer
I didn't say the Tea Party was the end all. I did say that it has created quite a stir with the establishment.

IMHO: If people protest and start rioting and destroying other peoples property, then yes, they will probably end up getting shot.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I didn't say the Tea Party was the end all. I did say that it has created quite a stir with the establishment.

IMHO: If people protest and start rioting and destroying other peoples property, then yes, they will probably end up getting shot.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
The people spoke when the voted obammy. I don't want to hear what 60% of the US populace has to say anymore.

·
perman00b
289 Posts
I'm not sure it would happen in the US for several reasons.

Americans tend to be very conditioned to back their country no matter what. Think about it, in school you take the oath every day. Flags are everywhere, you are told your armies are fighting to bring the heathens democracy and of course that you are the best/free-est country in the world. Americans are also on the most part politically apathetic, yes they cheer for red or blue but in reality don't pay much attention to the substance of the political process.

Arabs tend to be very cynical due to the nature of their political systems. Most of them also love to discuss the finer points of politics and history, which is not something to tend to get in the US (usually things just decend into name calling). Arabs also know their countries are corrupt and brutal but would like to see them not do so whereas in the case of America the nasty stuff tends to be done abroad so is less visible to the average citizen.

The final thing is of course that many of the revolutions we saw in the middle east had outside help to organise initially and circumvent the local surveillance. The US has a much better developed internal security system so could quash any attempt far faster than in the arab world and few foreign powers would risk terrible comeback from covert backing of domestic unrest.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
You believe the U.S. military will open fire on peacefully protesting citizens? These days?

Why?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
They dont have to if its near my house..

because ill do it for them any riots that are within my sphere ofinfluence will be dealt with in a not so nice manner

and egypt and syria are far from peaceful protests

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
It would be a battle the government does not want and could not win in the long run... and i think it would be over faster than alot of folks think...

If they were from a foreign nation say like somewhere in the ME... it would be a bloodbath here...
Cowboy, I agree that the government could not win it. do they want the battle? not so sure they don't. If there was an uprising my guess is the U.N maybe NATO would be players. I do not believe the federal government would cave without a major fight.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
They better hope not! Unlike ME countries we are not relegated to a few illegally possesed fire arms or mediocre accuracy, sticks, stones and Molotov Cocktails. Do I think the military would follow orders to fire on american citizens, yeah I think most would and not question it although I am sure a lot wold refuse to follow orders.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The tea party In california is the punch line to every joke

Maybe in other states thier big but in cali ..... Meh

in america we have a lot of people who don't trust or hate the government but they don't have a universal chant of we want ________!

And add the fact that each state is different and can be nearly autonomous makes revolution again unlikely without a deep routed polarizing issue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts