Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to an Appleseed shoot with about 50 participants starting out. heat index in the low 100's. We had plenty of water but not enough, as we shared with some that had none.Some had not even packed a lunch, though the directions in the pre event flyer said to pack one...we fed somebody at lunch time. I always bring extra (the mom in me). I had packed lots of ice blocks (the poly kind that you freeze ahead of time) and I passed them out also to some folks who were overheating. many wore no hats, some came in tank tops and cut off shorts and flipflops (nuff said, its obvious)
the seminar went from 8:30 AM to 6PM... a couple hours over first day.
second day out, there were huge thunderstorms and the range flooded.
some had brought only woven mats and were belly deep in mud after going prone the first hour. I talked to one guy who hadn't even checked radar or a forecast last night or in the morning and was surprised by the storms. Storms eased off as the day progressed. many had no rain gear,head gear... but they dried off as it approached 90. Into the mid 90's with all that humidity and many still had not brought their own water. the sponsors had a cooler
full of water and extra bottles, and we had plenty plus gatorade, I used the ice blocks to stay cool, a little one in the bandana around my neck helped alot. Passed a couple more out to others. I got badly sun burnt on the bottom half of my face which was not shaded by my hat.
I was really surprised at all the outdoorsmen, some of them even very experienced competetive shooters who did not work at hydration. Was waiting for one tough guy to pass out... he was dang close and only drinking a cold coke off and on.
all in all a very interesting and informative weekend, and not just what I learned about marksmanship. Didn't get my rifleman patch this time. I am new to rifle shooting. Going to another Appleseed shoot to try again
later this year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where was your AS event? I'm in swamp/east Missouri and looking froward to trying AS, but I think I'll wait until Oct. or Nov.

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
I had thought about going to one of those, but was fearful to put my name on a list. What was the instruction like?

Was the instructor a real expert or just someone who thought himself an expert?

Also, what were the attitudes of the other participants? Were they all anti-government survivalists or tea party type people or what?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
And that, my darling dear, is why we Mommas will survive<smile>. We may not be big tough GUYS......but we prepare for heat/cold/wet/dry......plus extras. Who does everybody look to when they need a tissue?<smile>.

Liebrecht....high fiveing ya!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this one was in the belly button of Illinois, there are many others on the schedule in IL, I think the main website probably has a schedule...
John W, don't worry about your name on a list, there comes a time to take a stand. if you don't Stand for something you'll fall for anything. an old cliche' but chiche's are that because they usually carry a kernel of truth somewhere in them.
I think the thing participants had in common was an interest in guns and learning to shoot a rifle better or helping others to do so. The Appleseed program is set up to help people appreciate the history and reason behind the 2nd amendment, so it should not surprise you to find most participants were 2nd amendment supporters. We didn't have time to talk politics, so I don't know what side of the fence participants were on, but we were all polite to each other and got along. I have been to many gun events and i have never been to one which was not well ordered and better behaved as a crowd than most random types of public events.
The experts were indeed experts and volunteers who helped in other ways were students, housewives, office workers, and laborers among others.... try googling appleseed project or appleseed shoot and look at the stuff that comes up. I hope you will be reassured.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts