Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been really getting into survivalism lately and dedicated most of my christmas list to it... Not necessarily because Im all doom and gloom but even if the world is fine for my whole lifetime... I plan a life of adventure and being outdoors so a lot of these things for survivalism cross over to just outdoor supplies that can be used in the mean time....

So far I have this equipment for a get out of dodge situation....

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&id=130

I realize its only a small tent but it has a lot of good reviews and I would rather have a smaller quality tent then a big spacious leaky tent...:)

http://www.slumberjack.com/product.asp?product_id=US2FWR3W5PA6JCXXJXK44G2UVA&category_id=ZZPRIJ4XFJCAMPP3S8FTXD4TG2

The size is a little big but again had a ton of good reviews stating the quality and that it was warm even in pretty cold conditions. what I expect from a -20 sleeping bag.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Tred%20Barta%20Gear.htm

I wanted a very nice pack to carry stuff and thanks to a post on here I picked up one of these. I also got a optional scoped rifle scabbard to attach to the pack(so I can have both a Bow and gun on the pack) and a 2liter water hydration pack. The pack also comes with a poncho tent which I would use to shelter gear that doesnt fit in the tent.

-Gerber Evo knife
-leatherman multi-tool
-coleman hatchet
-water purification tablets
-Edible plants book
-medicinal plants book
-30 days supply of mountain house freezedryed food
-5 lbs rice
- crank powered led light and radio
-hammock with heavy duty tarp for a fast shelter.
-compass
-2 lighter
-bag of lint from clothes dryer(tinder)
-sufficient ammo

For guns I havnt decided on what I would use, but in the cabinet are....
Winchester scoped 30-30
Romanian Ak
Mossberg 20 gauge
pac-west ar15

s&w 9mm handgun
s&w .22lr competition hand gun with heavy barrel.

I am thinking of getting rid of the 30-30 and getting a bolt action .308 but if that doesnt happen... The current last minute guess plan would be...

Ar-15 in the scabbard
mossberg 20 gauge carried in hand
s&w 9mm as a side arm
s&w .22 in the pack for hunting small game and quite.

things still too purchase...
-firesteel
-seeds
-more books

thoughts?
-Thanks, James :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
looks to me you got a real good start. I really like your pack. It looks to be a well thought out bag. Especially with the MOLLE webbing all around. Good job

N-

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Hang onto that 30-30! Just my opinion but it's a good meat getter, from hog to deer. You have an Ak and Ar...either would be a great MBR. Smaller game can be gotten with that 20g.

Great setup...i would recommend making sure you have plenty of ammo, before it goes up again.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
Don't get rid of any firearm you already own, especially a 30/30. The 30/30 is a great rifle and very versatile.

I would come up with the funds to get a .308 from somewhere else. Firearms don't lose value and in my opinion trading or selling a firearm always turns into a big regret in the long run.

Those slumber jack sleeping bags are nice but are very heavy. Might want to look at another style, also if it got wet add another 20 pounds to it.

I like that BoB tho, good choice. Have fun getting prepared i know i sure do!:thumb::D:

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
From a backpacker and adventurer's point of view you have a good list there. I would recommend getting yourself a good cook set, a canteen, and some sort of flint. You may also want to lose the hammock for weight if you are going to bring along a tent. (I too perfer a smaller tent, but then again i am a bit of a gram weenie). While the Gerber Evo is a great know (I too use it) you may wish to invest in a good fixed blade bush knife. Not a must item however, so long as you do have a good blade, and the Evo is defently that. Keep up the great work and I hope you have many grand adventures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is a 20 gauge with 2 3/4" rifled slugs not a good deer gun? I always assumed it was just looking at the slugs size... I know if I was a deer I wouldnt want to get hit with it.:)

Thanks for the advise so far.... any recomended books?

- Thanks, James

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice setup, amazon usually has good prices on firesteels and free shipping! I also added some broken corn taco shells to my lint bag, they work really well to keep a flame going once the lint catches as they are full of oil!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is a 20 gauge with 2 3/4" rifled slugs not a good deer gun? I always assumed it was just looking at the slugs size... I know if I was a deer I wouldnt want to get hit with it.:)

Thanks for the advise so far.... any recomended books?

- Thanks, James
Hey James. No, a 20ga slug is NOT a good deergun, but it'll suffice up to about 75 yards with good shot placement. Shotgunwise, a 12ga is much better....once again, as shotguns go anyway. Don't chuck it though, it'll be great for birds and small game.

As others said, hang on to that 30-30, and stock up on ammo even if it's only a little at a time.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,558 Posts
First aid kit and a field trauma kit. Stock up on medicines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First aid kit and a field trauma kit. Stock up on medicines.
I forgot to mention, I have 500 ibeprofin, a large bag of vitamin c drops and some natural honey cold drops. I was definitly looking into medical and first aid.

I also forgot to put that a have a shakespear travel rod and tackle box that can be strapped to the pack that holds about 30 lures and the whole system is about 2 lbs and is about 5x2x15 in box.

-Thanks, James

·
Registered
262 Posts
I forgot to mention, I have 500 ibeprofin, a large bag of vitamin c drops and some natural honey cold drops. I was definitly looking into medical and first aid.

I also forgot to put that a have a shakespear travel rod and tackle box that can be strapped to the pack that holds about 30 lures and the whole system is about 2 lbs and is about 5x2x15 in box.

-Thanks, James
There are lots of articles on hear for medical kits and supplies to put in them. If you need any suggestions or helping finding supplies. let me know. I am a paramedic and have a couple websites to make yourself a great FAK. Good luck

N-

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I am thinking of getting rid of the 30-30 and getting a bolt action .308 but if that doesnt happen... The current last minute guess plan would be...

-Thanks, James :)
Don't. It's like I said in another thread, you never hear anyone say "Boy, I'm sure glad I sold that _______ gun." People always regret selling any gun. I have a man rule that I never sell a gun. Once I buy it, I own it for life. At the end of the day, it goes bang and can be used to hunt, protect etc. with.

Don't sell it. It's already paid for.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Jamesthebackpacker,

Congratulations. It seems that you've got a good start. Keep up the good work. I try to spend something like $10/week. It isn't much, but your stockpile will grow quickly. You also seemed to have a nice balance. Remember to keep your most likely scenario of catastrophe in mind (mainly depends upon where you live) and try to stock up for that first. Keep it up!

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
Hey James. No, a 20ga slug is NOT a good deergun, but it'll suffice up to about 75 yards with good shot placement. Shotgunwise, a 12ga is much better....once again, as shotguns go anyway. Don't chuck it though, it'll be great for birds and small game.

As others said, hang on to that 30-30, and stock up on ammo even if it's only a little at a time.
there is nothing wrong with a 20ga slugs for deer hunting ...i'v killed many deer with my 20ga....and no slug is any good after 75 yards...heck 50 yards can be hit or miss with a slug

·
Registered
130 Posts
ur list looks good. how good is the freeze dried food? i was lookin in to the dehydrated food but then u need to have that much more water.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think you are off to a good start and since we are talking about it I guess I will ask for thoughts on my gear.
-fiskars hatchet
-falkniven f1
-grohmann boat knife
-tarp
-magnesium firestarter
-matches
-10lbs rice
-10 1lb bag of dried beans
-sugar
-bottle soy sauce
-jar of ghee
-first aid kit
-saiga .223
-single shot 12 gauge
-large jar peanut butter
-Rain gear
-crow bar
-folding shovel
- 2 boxes of OTC pain and cold meds
-safety glasses
- rubber and work gloves
-fishing line, weights, hooks, and jigs
-ammo

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Don't. It's like I said in another thread, you never hear anyone say "Boy, I'm sure glad I sold that _______ gun." People always regret selling any gun. I have a man rule that I never sell a gun. Once I buy it, I own it for life. At the end of the day, it goes bang and can be used to hunt, protect etc. with.

Don't sell it. It's already paid for.
Not always. I dumped both a mini30 and mini 14 years ago,never regretted it.Same with old clunker singleshots and bolt shotguns. Upgrade is the name of the game.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Don't want to be a downer but it sounds like a great BO pack. What are you gonna do longer term?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't want to be a downer but it sounds like a great BO pack. What are you gonna do longer term?
Simple answer (though hard to do).... Use the tent as a temporary shelter while building a small cabin. I have a pretty good woodworking background. I have also been checking out how native americans did things... birch bark canoes, what they ate. I have a lot.... and i mean a lot more studying but it hasn't slipped my mind. I almost thought of building one of those tiny houses on a utility trailer... but I thought that would look kinda obvious that you were trying to get outta dodge. The key is to blend in.... and how are you gonna get through the woods with that thing? lol anyways.... I also believe there have been many hunter gatherer tribes that have one just fine with literally nothing. I am also a christian and I believe a certain verse in the bible (matthew) is going to have a lot more meaning at that time if things actually happen. The verse(paraphrasing) basically says don't worry about tomorrow for today will have enough problems on its own. Whats the worst thing to do in a survival situation? panic... And I didn't want to sound like Im preaching but just trying to answer your question with honesty as to my plans. If I am able to get out into the woods while not being chased down id proble go for a more permanent dwelling if there is a chase proble hunter gatherer I think there is a lot more people need to be prepared for then they currently are(me included) and multiple scenarios could play out...

so now I guess the honest answer is I don't really know what im going to do in the long term... none of us do because no one knows how it will play out and more than that is pure speculation... (heck being a survivalist is almost pure speculation :D: ) I may plan for 10 scenarios to find out I should of planned for 11? Anyways Im done and sorry for the long rant.:)

-thanks, james

1 - 20 of 26 Posts