Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Months ago I had a problem with several raccoons. I trapped them and I haven't had a problem with them since. I haven't seen a raccoon, fox, or coyote near my chickens since. I've heard some in the field right behind me, and in the fields in front of me. But they don't seem to come close anymore.

I can't say this with absolutely certainty, but I'm fairly positive that this has had a lot to do with it:

I urinate all around the chicken pens. All around the fence. All around the coops. And often - sometimes many times a day. I've done that all summer long.

Even near the coops is a huge compost pile - lots of table scraps, chicken coop, cardboard, coffee grounds. I even dumped a gallon of spoiled milk there a few weeks ago - and I never have any problems with animals. But there is a bucket just outside the back door of my house that I put compostable stuff in - coffee grounds, egg shells, paper towels, cardboard, etc. I also urinate in it several times a day. This is dumped on the compost pile just about daily. The urine is supposed to be good for the garden as well. I generally don't urinate directly in the garden as a house up the hill has a very slight view of part of the garden.

Again, I can't say this positively, but it would sure look to me that the smell of man keeps those animals away.

I wouldn't advice using this as the sole means of protection for your chickens, of course. But, if you're ok with doing it, I'd sure recommend trying it out and seeing if you have similar results. Just remember, it's taken me months and months of doing that.

Sorry if this was a bit crude, but I hope this can help someone else out. It's a horrible thing to loose a chicken.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,417 Posts
Months ago I had a problem with several raccoons. I trapped them and I haven't had a problem with them since. I haven't seen a raccoon, fox, or coyote near my chickens since. I've heard some in the field right behind me, and in the fields in front of me. But they don't seem to come close anymore.

I can't say this with absolutely certainty, but I'm fairly positive that this has had a lot to do with it:

I urinate all around the chicken pens. All around the fence. All around the coops. And often - sometimes many times a day. I've done that all summer long.

Even near the coops is a huge compost pile - lots of table scraps, chicken coop, cardboard, coffee grounds. I even dumped a gallon of spoiled milk there a few weeks ago - and I never have any problems with animals. But there is a bucket just outside the back door of my house that I put compostable stuff in - coffee grounds, egg shells, paper towels, cardboard, etc. I also urinate in it several times a day. This is dumped on the compost pile just about daily. The urine is supposed to be good for the garden as well. I generally don't urinate directly in the garden as a house up the hill has a very slight view of part of the garden.

Again, I can't say this positively, but it would sure look to me that the smell of man keeps those animals away.

I wouldn't advice using this as the sole means of protection for your chickens, of course. But, if you're ok with doing it, I'd sure recommend trying it out and seeing if you have similar results. Just remember, it's taken me months and months of doing that.

Sorry if this was a bit crude, but I hope this can help someone else out. It's a horrible thing to loose a chicken.
Not crude at all. That's one of the functions of urine. I've been doing it for years.

If you have a dog, have him do the same. Unless the coyotes are led by a particularly suicidal alpha male, they won't even try to counter-mark your territory. Dogs are social creatures, and typically respectful of boundaries.

For the racoons and others, even woodchucks, I've found, they're just too scared to encounter humans a simply stay away. I've never yet had to trap or shoot a predator or scavenger.

That said, there are some coyotes nuisancing my neighbors pigs. I don't know what methods he is currently using, but wants me to eliminate them with him one of these days. I'm wondering if these coyotes are just too accustomed to encountering people with no consequences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts