Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this question the other day on a tv show. With everything getting so expensive what are you having to give up to make ends meet?

We have stopped eating out so much. So more cooking at home. And we actually feel so much better too.

Looking forward to seeing your answers.
thanks, nemaw9

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
we are currently not at that stage yet but ...like yourselves we have reduced our eating considerably only because the town we moved to has limited restaurants lol

·
Super Moderator
12,204 Posts
Cut the fast food down to a tenth of what it was and it wasn't much to start with.

Eating more rice and lentils and less meat.

Driving less. Try to make any trips multipurpose when I can.

Wearing my clothes an extra day to reduce laundry costs. (Hey, I just sit at the computer most of the day. It's not like they're stinky or anything. LOL)

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Hot Wheels

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Cut down on the nights out at the bar from 5 to 4.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Eating out went from once a week to maybe once a month.

Stocking up on food & supplies went up.

Making cheaper meals, and meals that last longer.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Went from eating in the company cafeteria to bringing lunch. eating out went to 1 time a week. That last one was tough, who wants to cook at 2am when ya get off work? Huddle House is alot easier :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Have not had my boat on the water since march.

Starbucks

haircut once a month instead of twice

less take out food

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Time.
Takes more time tending the now doubled in size garden.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Seldom go out to eat (this means fast food to)
Simpler Meals, and make them stretch
No more needless trips to store (i'll stop at the grocery on my way home from work)

Been cutting my own hair for about 7 yrs now
Thinking about cutting off dish network, i dont watch much t.v, and besides you can watch or download anything you want on the net.
I will not give up my beer, I'll just make my own if TSHTF. (i wonder if you can ferment acorns?)

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I actually let people treat me to things now. I always always payed for everything myself. Well, this doesn't happen a lot anyway but still.

I cut back on expensive foods, I don't buy as much milk and eggs, basically no cheese, almost never fresh meat, if I buy meat I buy cheap sausages or bacon, I'm almost never lazy and buy a frozen meal anymore (not that I did that an awful lot). I stick to potatoes, cabbage, onions, pasta and cheap stuff.

I only buy a very few things at the local store and try to shop at the cheaper store away, even if it means having to coordinate rides.

Since before I don't go to the movies, dinners, pubs, I don't buy books or CDs. I don't pay my TV licence although I have a TV (was a leftover TV from my mom). No pay cable. No car (of course). I can't afford a dentist. And I'm dead scared if my pets get sick, even though they are insured, copay is pretty high anyway. Haircuts? LOL! If I remember, I cut my own hair.

I'm putting off buying an external harddrive I need to salvage my stuff from my system that is breaking down.

I'm putting off buying a new pair of rubber boots. The old ones have soals worn out so they leak. The clothes that I already own will have to last for a long while. Although I was wise and bought some good clothes while I could (standard, cheap stuff).

But I DO put away a little money to a savings account once a month. That is how I could treat myself to a trip abroad. Next time I use that money (will be a while since I zeroed that fund in July), it will be towards prepping. I hope.

It was rough around here and getting rougher. I really don't mind living frugal and planning ahead, but it gets somewhat depressing when you can't afford things that could help you in the long run.

I'm still running on the same income (I don't know if it will be cut yet, but it doesn't look that way), it's just that things are more expensive.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Less eating dinner on the town and scaling back on home renovation projects. I also had a start-up company specializing in LEED certified Green Homes founded in 2006 (we couldn't lose in a red hot Florida market, $#%@!) which is now on ice until the market bottoms.

We also did small things like increase the A/C thermostat by two degrees.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
I stopped eating out everyday, canceled satellite t.v.,canceled caller I.D, stoped using only name brand products, won't buy new cell phones, won't buy new mp3 and mp4 player, adios strippers, rarely buy new clothes, I eat less meat, I drink a lot less soft drinks, buy cheap dog food, and learned to cook more stuff. I did this mostly to stretch my money to buy more preps.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
my wife and i dont do anything we only spend money at the store for food. i stoped putting into my 401k so i got a little extra to put to preps (not much) that all may go soon if she doesnt get an extension on unemployment she has been trying to find anything $10 per hour but there isnt anything out there and that is what we need so she can keep up her end of the bills. so if no extension the whole house of cards could come tumbleing down. and with EVERY thing laying off across the world it doesnt look good. we may end up in tent city :(

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Used to take a major road trip or two each year, not now...
Used to eat out at least 3 times a week, not now...
Used to go to the store and home a couple times a day, now we don't go out until there are 3 or 4 errands to run at the same time...
Used to add a firearm or 2 to my collection on a whim, not now...
Used to have someone else come in a mop the floors and scrub the toilet, not now...

That's a start.

Allan

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
been selling crap i dont use/need anymore. and selling some things i use, but can live without. things like my car hauler trailer, junk jeeps, old kayak, spare car parts. etc.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts