Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reading this forum made my recent backpacking trip to Glacier NP a great success, it has also helped me be more prepared at home.

I used the; "Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items", "Uncommon items in your pack", and "Multi-use items in your kits" Topics to build a great pack for me and a pack for my wife.

The packs were perfect weights for both of us. All week long when anyone in our group needed an item, I had it in my pack. At the end of my trip I needed a fresh pair of socks and was bummed I was out. My wife’s sister joked, “Did you check your pack”? Needless to say I had an emergency pair squirreled away.

I also tested much new gear/ brands suggested here. Honestly, I scorned trekking poles, (not sure why) but I will never go Distance/mountain hiking without them again. I will do a gear review and a good/ bad/ improve list post later.

Thanks everyone who makes this board an educational wonder.

How has this board helped you? I’d like to hear some stories.

Gear Review here:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=875547#post875547

·
Registered
180 Posts
This board has helped a bunch. I wanted a garden but I have a small tiny yard. Then I learned of square foot gardening through this board. I cant wait to start my garden next spring. I have also learned the basics of prepping and was able to get my wife on board. I have also found was to save money be it buying in bulk, growing your own etc. Our goal is to be off the grid someday. I learned of solar ovens on this site. I am currently working om my own. I'll post some pics when I done and do some cooking with it. Nothing to fancy just some aluminum welded together. This site has also made me more aware with what is going on with politics, economic issues etc. I really never paid much attention to it before. I also clue my friends on prepping since most dont and we live in a hurricane prone area. And lastly this sight gets rather entertaining at times with some of the heated topics:D:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Sq foot garden works a little too well, anyone need tomatoes? This site has also led me into alot of other helpfull reasearch, like, making things from scratch. Soap, candles, a homemade forge. I also look for simple and bacis need fulfilment that I didn't think about before. Even as simple as food, water shelter.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Oh this board has done so much for me, I cant remember it all.

Started me writing stories, and first online posts with it.

Iv made gloves, got patterns todo shoes, moccasins and brimmed hats. I didnt realise how much tailoring and crafting I actually knew until I came here.

Iv got a spinning spindle and wool to try, once the weather cools down a bit.

Iv found a place my Cassandra personality actually fits in, and people dont think Im quite so crazy getting prepped.

I coped better when the electricity was cut off (due to some numpty (idiot) trying to steel the cables). Iv got the plumber in to do the central heating before winter sets in.

Iv got loads of canned foods, and have begun to work out what we use a lot of.

Still working on memory and just yesterday began to learn a list in order (9 items) using a visualisation technique.

If anyone mentions the name Bob, Im not going to think of that machine that lives in the cupboard (not put in just incase innocent eyes are reading this).

I could go on, and on, but most of all THANKS TO YOU ALL!

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
I've learned that i'm not preppared enough. This site has taught me a lot.

Since joing i've made a bug out box for the family . started a small garden. bought additional guns and ammo. Increased my food and dry goods supply.Also got the wife involved to know how to prep for an emergency.

I wanna thank everyone for their useful input!!!!!

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
Just over a year ago i joined this board and now i can filter and treat water, own and shoot multiple firearms. I also have food and other items stored, with ways to cook the meals. I
ve got backup lgihting, heating and power. Things can happen, put your mind to it.

Thanks!

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Well, for starters I get to speak to preppers. In a country where prepping is non-exitent that´s a big thing. It has also made alot of knowledge availble. But thats kinda obvious...

But the thing I appreciate the most is that I have a chance to communicate with "the other America", the one that isn´t shown by Hollywood, HBO or Show Time. In Europe you guys just show up in statements like "They´re very religious" or condescending articles about gun laws.

Here I get to disuss first hand with the people, and you are millions, who never get air time or a fair presentation in media. For that I´m greatful because it gives me a better picture of the worlds remaining superpower. Thanks for that one, Kev!

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
I've learned quite a bit from a lot of good members here and do so on a daily basis.

I want to say thank you to the members who sift through all the daily news updates and post the relevant ones here. It saves me time and aggravation watching Brangelina "news"....

The only thing thats bugs me about the site is the way people chime in with their opinions having no real world experience. They may be able to rattle off weapon names and parts and sound like real experts but in reality they know little more then what they read in the catalouge.

Just recently there was a thread about surviving a firefight. 3 pages of responses later and a ton of 'advice'...I bet more than 75% of the responses have never even been within 10 miles of a firefight but only regurgitate what they've read or heard and try to pass it off as their own ideas.

All in all this is a great site. Besides a few trolls and a few posers I like most of the members. So thank you Kev and Mods for giving me carpal tunnel from my hours a day on here!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I really appreciate the opportunity to make free downloads of extremely useful information. The amount of knowledge at all levels here is astounding. There is something to learn every time I visit here.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Survivalist boards has not only brought me hours of entertainment but mountains of useful information, some of which I never thought useful before. I'm not the most prepared person here but am learning from those that impart their valuable experiences.

Now lets see your gear review.......

·
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux
1,433 Posts
I have learned that I am not alone in my way of thinking and I am grateful to know that I am not crazy. :) I have gained so much useful and valuable information and I truly, truly appreciate the willingness here to share it. I have to visit this place at least once a day! :thumb:

·
myheart'sinthehighlands
726 Posts
I have gained insight into the minds of survivalists.

I have realized that through this site I am not the only on that thinks the way I do. (thankyou)

I have learned about storing food and dehydrating! Thanks for turning me on to dehydrate2store.com! A whole new way of life!

I am so thankful to the folks who take the time to post youtube vids and photos of their gardens, shelters, animals, and even their mistakes!

Thanks for helping me get my news, and political info.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've learned much from the boards. Much I had learned from books and whatever Army pubs I downloaded. If you ask you'll learn much more. Don't feel dumb because if we knew everything would we be here? The thing I found most helpful was to prepare your body for extended wilderness/survival activities. I saw this mentioned but didn't pay attention to it or implement the suggestion. So I paid the price. If someone has not read the Army's hydration/work chart in GTA08-05-062.PDF on the downloads section I strongly advise it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Met a few friends, found some like minds, and learned a few things about bacpacking and survival equipment.

I rekindled my love for Maxpedition products.

I have a better Bug out plan and bags for my vehicles.

Cabin is getting stocked up.

Found some good tips on gardening.

Linked to a few good videos on youtube, from which I picked up good advice.

A few medical bits of advice.

Some good and often entertaining reading.

·
He is risen
1,617 Posts
I have found here people who are much as I am ....travelling the internet , the patriotic , ******* , " right wing extremist terrorist " conservative Christian soldier that I am stuck out like two sore thumbs ... I was nearly certain I was alone in my principals .....

A sense of community , I guess is what I'm trying to say . Knowing that I'm not alone in my values and beliefs .

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I guess the biggest thing that has helped me is that I doubt I ever get Alzheimer's because I'm learning so much. You know it's said .... use it or lose it. I'm using it! My noggin' that is. Don't ever think you can't teach an old "dog" new tricks. I'm 52 and learning everyday.

I've learned how to dehydrate and can more than afew foods. I've learned how to make candles (thanks Mrs. Kev), how to grow potatoes (thanks Kev) and well, this site has taken what I already knew and increased it tenfold. I'm more prepared, more stocked, more independent and more HAPPY. I watch less tv, read more, get outside more and did I say I'm more HAPPY. I can't stop bad from happening (as in weather or economic collapse) but I feel I am more prepared for it. I have always been a little bit country but I also depended to much on modern things, I learned. Like I just assumed my ATM card would get me anything I needed in an emergency. But here I learned what if the electricity is down and the card won't work (have backup cash) and why wait to join the masses in line to grab what I can during an emergency when I can stock items now and not settle for whatever is available later. I've learned that I don't know half what I thought I knew. I learned a little bit about tracking (thanks to LowDown3) and campfire cooking (from Mrs. LowDown). I learned a bit about alternative fuels, the power grid and bug out bags. I've learned a little about security and made changes. I got the nerve to shoot a gun and discovered I like it (thanks to my son taking mom to the shooting range and being very patient). I've made a few purchases. Made a few mistakes. Made some good choices also. I've met some really cool people and have many more to meet. Oh, and before I forget I need to say I'm HAPPIER even if my back does hurt putting all these skills into play.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts