Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The man with the plan
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have many good successes this year in my 30'x30' prepper garden, but I must say that this year my favorite has to be the 35.6lb watermelon I just harvested!! Boy this sucker is huge! I'm sure it's not one for the record books, but this bad boy makes me proud! Runner up is my delicious sweet corn :D:
I often wonder how some people go through life and don't even know what they're missing, you can't get flavor like this in a store!

If you had to narrow it down, what is your favorite success in your garden this year?

http://postimage.org/image/1av8w0h38/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fantastic melon. Man, not one melon for me this year (I don't think it got enouh sun). I gotta work on that. Any tips?

My garden is two square foot gardens, three zuchinni plants(not in SFG), three tomato plants (not in SFG), potatoes, aquaponics grow bed with Cucumber (plant is completely going nuts, but not a lot of cucumbers). One SFG garden has strawberries, eggplant, garlic, pole beans, parsley, basil, and thyme. Other square foot garden has peppers (bell and jalapenos), more strawberries, onions, and chives. Marigods are in the SFGs too.

My zucchini plants are completely going ballistic. This past weekend I found a hidden one that was over two feet long and about 5lbs. Oops. I've probably harvested at least 40 zucchini (we are getting tired of them).

Basically, I'm proud to have a veggie garden. Nothing better than walking in the back yard, picking a few veggies when I get home from work and cooking them up. And of course learning how to grow your own food.

This coming winter I'll continue to grow cool weather crops, but I'm also planning on expanding my veggie garden for next year. I should be able to get two more square foot gardens and another area 10X25 to plant in ground crops.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
My potatoes did awesome this year! But my biggest accomplishment I think was making better use of the wild edibles in tandem with the garden. I was able to nearly triple our harvest/nutrition this year by combining some of the perennials with the yearly garden and using them in new ways. And best of all.... the family is enjoying the results.

·
The man with the plan
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Tomatoes!:thumb:
and Tomatillos for Salsa.
Nice brotha!
Mine are 6' at their tallest (Big Boys), I have to build custom wood frames to hold them they get so big. Note the shovel leaning against them for reference. You can also see in front of the shovel I have mexibell peppers that are almost 5' tall, they've done really well in my soil this year.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
A beautiful woman loved growing tomatoes, but couldn't seem to get them to turn red.

One day, while taking a stroll, she came upon a gentleman neighbour who
had the most beautiful garden full of huge red tomatoes.

The woman asked the gentlemen, "What do you do to get your tomatoes so
red?"

The gentlemen responded, "Well, twice a day I stand in front of my tomato
Garden naked in my trench coat and flash them. My tomatoes turn red from blushing so much."

Well, the woman was so impressed; she decided to try doing the same thing to Her tomato garden to see if it would work.

So twice a day for two weeks she flashed her garden hoping for the best.

A couple of weeks pased, and the gentleman was walking by and asked the woman, "By the way, how did you make out? Did your tomatoes turn red?"

"No", she replied, "but my cucumbers are enormous."
In truth my garden is about the same as last year. The happy point of the year though is I finally have a Bonsai that is surviving.

·
The man with the plan
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic melon. Man, not one melon for me this year (I don't think it got enouh sun). I gotta work on that. Any tips?
I think the biggest mistake people make with melons is watering. Most water inconsistently. Not just too much or too little, but inconsistency. Basically water them an even amount, consistently every 2-3 days. I poke my finger into the soil and wait until it's starting to dry, then I will give each plant a good soaking.

The other important factor is well drained soil. When you have poorly drained soil it causes poor aeration and compaction which can smother plants and limit root growth. If you can't easily poke your finger 4-5" in the ground, it's too compacted. For clay or poorly drained soils, when you first prep your garden beds, I strongly recommend adding lots of sand. Any all purpose sand will work. This will greatly improve drainage, & aeration. My garden is 30'x30' and I added 4 tons of sand (around $90 delivered) and cultivated it to 12" depth. This is much cheaper than something like vermiculite and you only need to do it once. (Don't buy it in bags unless you have a tiny area, it doesn't go as far as you think it would, and very expensive this way!)

I also mulch my watermelons (& garden) with pine straw. IMO it is superior to hardwood mulches, newspapers etc. 1. It's great weed control mulch. 2. It's also great because bugs & critters don't like the sharp pine needles. 3. At the end of the year I just till them into the soil which adds lots of great nutrients and creates a rich soil with excellent aeration for the next year! Have you ever dug the soil under pine trees? It's good stuff. 4. Last but not least, it adds a slight acidity to the soil that most all vegetables love. :D:

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'm pleased with my spring onions this year :) its not very grand or exciting i know, but they're so bountiful and lush, its awesome! i think they've loved all the rain we've had.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I feel successful just getting anything from my garden this year. When I moved from CA to AZ my lovely green thumb turned black! I couldn't take the heat here in June let alone July and August.

Things do change with time, and I'd say that I'm proud of the fact that we harvested so many tomatoes I was taking them to work and giving them away to the neighbor. I'm also happy that I was able to harvest three watermelons from my little plants, and next year I'll plant those much earlier. :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
For me it has been 2 different rare chillies I grew specifically for my heirloom seed bank. Both peppers are rare and one is on th endangered list. I have collected 100s of seeds so for and have atleast 80 peppers still on the plants.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I bought a bag of 15 bean soup and instead of cooking it I planted it.

I separated out the beans and peas and planted rows of them.

Everything grow, I was out pacing the rabbits.

However, the lentil, which I've never planted before got eaten by the rabbits very badly. I got no lentils for my troubles.

Also the garbanzo beans didn't do well. Not sure why, the plants grew but I got no increase.

Now I have enough beans for five or six bags of bean soup, less the lentil and garbanzo beans.

·
Accuracy is Final
534 Posts
My best success is my overall garden. I live in a harsh climate and have a very short growing season. I bought a greenhouse last year and got to use it for the first time this year. What a difference! I have already harvested lots of tomato, pepper and cucumbers. Just got done canning pepper relish, stewed tomatoes and pickles today.

All plants are still growing great, lots more harvest time till frost!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think green beans are the biggest success this year. We just processed a 5 gallon bucket full. I think we have another 4 buckets if we get out there asap and start picking. My poor kids groaned when I said that tonight, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts