Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone here is always talking about prepping and bugging out... what happens when TSHTF and it comes time to BO?

Assuming that TSHTF over the course of a few days.... is everyone going to just up and leave? What happens to this site? Is everyone gonna just forget about it? Is anyone going to leave a fairwell message? Or say where they're going?

Is it going to be every man (or woman) for themselves? Are we going to try and go it alone? Or try and meet up somewhere and form groups? should I leave a location of where people can wait if they want to join my group? (not my BOL/BIL...something like I am Legend... 'I will be at the sea port every day at mid day when the sun is higest in the sky...' sorta thing...where survivors/fellow survivalists can camp out until I come for them)

Is there any way of finding out who's going to be bugging out in my area? I know a couple people have mentioned bugging out to maine.... and someone has built something, not 5 miles from where I live, that I swear is a BOL (dirt road...small little house...maybe 20'x20'.... 2 MASSIVE propane tanks...a well... etc...easy to heat...easy to defend...its not a business...nobody's living there...but its a great place to be storing preps... ).... when TSHTF i dont want to accidently shoot someone that I've been talking to for months on here.... if I see a woman and her kid PSHTF and theyre dirty and look like they havnt eaten anything for weeks I'm gonna offer them help..... but if I see someone decked out in camo and carrying an AR-15 I'm gonna instanly have my gun at the ready.... and if it's someone from this site I'm sure we would get along great...but I'm also sure seeing me will have a similar reaction out of them... and PSHTF...people are stressed...tensions run high... theres danger everywhere... I dont think two strangers with guns meeting is going to go all that great....

·
ready for it!
271 Posts
I had wondered the same as for identifiers. I have a team that I would recognize but let's say people from this site knew where I was and wanted to come in, how could I know they were friendly as my OP watched them approach.

Color of the day? Hand signal? Hold up a can of lima beans? still working on that....

·
thepostmandelivers
1,241 Posts
Coming up with identifiers is a great idea( blue triangle,orange square etc..) i just don't think we can safely do it on the open net. Remember OP SEC.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I honestly cant trust the people on this forum just because I interact with them over the internet. I mean, people are people. Just because they are interested in survivalism it doesnt mean that they will be different in nature than the unprepared during a crisis. It will be time to worry about you and your family. That will be my concern. Even most of my real world friends and associates will be of no concern.

There are people on this forum that will be willing to exploit you and your resources for their own survival during that time of crisis. I'm not complicating things by letting people I cant trust get too close. I dont readily invite people into my life now, I KNOW I wont be doing it during a SHTF scenario.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ahhh the neverending 'SHTF' topic

Overall...Its safe to say that no matter what the "level" of SHTF scenario...Most people go back to listening to their instincts...You can "feel" who has good intentions and who doesn't

People also have a tendancy to come together during disaster; especially neighbors

The biggest problem I see with the whole SHTF / Nuclear / Gov. takeover / NWO...whatever you call it; is that people more and more are saying "You just can't trust anyone anymore"...this attitude is making the situaiton worse, look around; subconcious fear / lack of trust / etc. is causing people to overreact about everything

Now my perspective is comming from South Florida, YMMV...With that being said, I wonder how much of all this concern is comming from the more Rural areas of America who have a strong connection to American values which is wonderful; but are a bit ignorant (No offense) when it comes to whats going on in the big cities other than all the bad stories they see on cable news

At the end of the day, take care of your own, help who you can, and smile if confronted with the Dragon

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
I honestly cant trust the people on this forum just because I interact with them over the internet. I mean, people are people. Just because they are interested in survivalism it doesnt mean that they will be different in nature than the unprepared during a crisis.
Exactly! I've seen too many "I'll do absolutely anything to survive, and I mean anything" posts here. Do you really want one of those in your midst? How would you tell if the person was one of those, or a decent person you can trust with your life? You can't. I might wave to another prepper and wish him/her well, but I'm not going to be adding anyone to my group unless I knew them very well, long before the SHTF AND they have something major to contribute to the group.

There's also group dynamics to consider. Look at the ugly side of human nature, which unfortunately, is most of it. Can you afford to have someone in the group that causes more trouble than they're worth? What happens when you try to kick this person out and they suddenly consider their life in danger because of it? Remember just what all "I'll do anything to survive" really means. Suddenly, you're expendable in a hurry.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
IN Florida, we see evacs from hurricane SHTF all the time. You could be sitting in your car BO and be right next to others here and not know who's who. Beings that this site is run from Miami, it'll most likely be down in the event of a direct hit. Just like Andrew, they could get wiped out and folks in other parts of the Country won't feel it. We have members in the PI, but we're still here. Most folks have plans, regardless of what others do.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thing is, there is no way to know if and what will happen until it happens. If my crystal ball worked I'd be a lottery winner and wouldn't be busting my tush at work. :) There are so very, very many possible scenarios for disasters, and each on carries with it a different future.

·
pack light, move quietly.
556 Posts
The five finger rule.

My father once told me that if you have five people, one for every finger on one hand, that you can trust, in your lifetime you can consider yourself blessed. I have had maybe 2, and then there is my family. We will bug for the farm and try to work together. I doubt that I will be able to invite the other 2. As far as people on this forum, your all just clever names and knowledge to me. Don't be waving lima beans at me if your on my property line, I might think its a bomb. Not that I don't have the utmost respect for everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum, but its me and mine and whatever I can do to help in the community, your not going to be down the hall from me.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well depending on how bad the event is.... you may have to rebuild society or even the human race itself... not to mention theres safty in numbers... (you're better off having a group of 30 and dealing with one guy...then being the one guy dealing with a group of 30)

the way I see it...the more people the more gets done...some can work the field..some can make clothes and do laundry....its not you trying to do everything.... anyone joining my group would have a part to play.... as for the trouble makers? you'll wake up and they'll be gone. never to be seen or heard from again :p

as for the 'do anything to survive' guys? Yeah... I'd want them in my group.... and yeah I'd keep my eye on them...but I'd rather have them in my group helping me out then living on the outside causing problems (IMO 'do anything' could mean working in my garden with me...or it could mean sneaking onto my property at night to steal what I have....)

·
Registered
405 Posts
as for the 'do anything to survive' guys? Yeah... I'd want them in my group.... and yeah I'd keep my eye on them...but I'd rather have them in my group helping me out then living on the outside causing problems (IMO 'do anything' could mean working in my garden with me...or it could mean sneaking onto my property at night to steal what I have....)
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
TSHTF for different folk every day, Indonesian people sh!t has just hit the fan, for the Samoan folk as well, maybe for you next week and me tomorrow, so the site will be here to stick your pics on, dont worry.
If everyones SHTF happens at the same time, then there is no need for this site or any internet, is there.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
Until times get lean and "anything" involves killing you to ensure their survival. Or until they perceive you as a threat and you wake up dead. Not me, I'd rather have the "anything" types outside the perimeter, where it's easier to take a shot at them when "anything" means causing trouble for us. The only people inside my group are going to be those with strong values. The ones who realize that we may or may not make it, but we're going to live or die as a group, trying.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Don't know about even having a signal with some of the others here the way some talk about getting an A1 Abrams etc etc to get all they need. It's ashame that some are like that versus why the majority of us are here; to learn to survive, help those who need help if deserving of such assistance, and to defend and protect those we care about and ourselves only from those who would bring us harm. Being honest I could only imagine some using the signals to place themselves in a better position to take what we have. I am sure some may view this in a negative light, but to me that is part of survival. I personally think that such arrangements can and should only be made with persons who are near you. Ones that you know and can be of mutual benefit. Of course we would all like to have a group such as this where we could depend on eachother should our paths ever cross. If indeed they do, work slowly into satisfying your own sense of survival that particular person means you no harm. Don't just jump because they do or do not have a particular color on, or know a particular symbol. Kind of reminds me of an event that occured during the American Civil War at Bull run where the union forces allowed a confederate force to enter their ranks because they had been issued bluish colored uniforms by their home area. Let's just say that judging the approaching persons by the color worn relaxed the union troops and the confederates were victorious.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Blah blah blaaah....

Why not do a meet and greet in your area with people from this site?

I thought this site was for people who wanted to PREPARE, not just REACT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts