Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what happens if I just store my beans and rice in plastic baggies in a bucket? Are they good for a few years? Do I have to use mylar? Can I just leave them in the bags they came in and put that in a food grade barrel? I plan on using them within 3 years.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
It only cost about twenty dollars or so for ten mylar bags and ten 2000cc 02's. Well worth the time and money to do it that way.

You will have that peace of mind too.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
So when your rice turns yellow hard and taste like sawdust and your beans take 3 days of cooking to soften up enought so you can eat the hard little buggers. You can sit back and think about how much time and fuel it takes to make them. Not to mention the loss of nutrition.
But then again I would like to enjoy me food if I ever need to get into the rice and beans. But thats just for me and my family. Hope you have a good axe to cut all that wood up for the fuel to cook it so much longer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when your rice turns yellow hard and taste like sawdust and your beans take 3 days of cooking to soften up enought so you can eat the hard little buggers. You can sit back and think about how much time and fuel it takes to make them. Not to mention the loss of nutrition.
But then again I would like to enjoy me food if I ever need to get into the rice and beans. But thats just for me and my family. Hope you have a good axe to cut all that wood up for the fuel to cook it so much longer.

could you give a little bit more sarcastic answer to an honest question?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have lone 25lb. bag of rice that I put in a 5 gal. bucket in its bag that is now 3 years old.

When I got to it to put it up, I did not want to open a new packet of 02 absorbers for one bucket, so I decided I would use this rice. during this time of use, the rice has remained good, even in spite of the brutal summer heat and humidity in Houston.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have had a few 50 lb bags of rice for a few years in the original bags they came in, tried it out and it tasted fine..

Going through the hoops is fine and dandy but not completely necessary for everyone.

·
Libertarian
2,794 Posts
I think the rice would be o.k. in a food grade bucket. I've gotten my 5 gallon white buckets from Home Depot-they say "Food Safe" on the side. My feeling is that the mylar/o2 absorbers are a great thing to do if you want the rice to remain in the bag for 10-20 or more years. Good luck!:)

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
If you're truly going to use them within three years, you're probably going to be fine. I'd go one step further if I were you, and displace the air in the bags w/ CO2 (via dry ice) before i sealed them up.

It won't last as long as it would in mylar, but it will be plenty to get you out to 3 years. The mylar/O2 absorber approach is more relevant to really long term storage (20-30 years) than the time frame you're considering.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
I have lone 25lb. bag of rice that I put in a 5 gal. bucket in its bag that is now 3 years old.

When I got to it to put it up, I did not want to open a new packet of 02 absorbers for one bucket, so I decided I would use this rice. during this time of use, the rice has remained good, even in spite of the brutal summer heat and humidity in Houston.
Where do you store 'em??

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
This bucket of rice is in the garage (unairconditioned) and I just have the 5 gal. bucket lid on it to seal. This is an experiment and I pull enough rice out of it to make a meal or two once a month or couple of months. So far so good; no spoilage and no critters.

I do have long term preps in mylar and 02, but these are also stored in the garage.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Horatioo, I have been storing and using rice and beans by simply filling Freezer grade Gallon Ziploc's with dry goods. I then double the bag. I then place these in Large plastic storage bins and/or buckets. I have never had an issue even after six or seven years stored this way. Food is just fine, no yellowing, no bugs,..... Just cook up as usuall and go. Mylar sounds great if you are putting stuff up for 20 years...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
If it was that simple, do you honestly think we'd all be using mylar and O2 absorbers?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have some stuff in mylar, but have started using clean, dry soda bottles. Much easier to manage and store for me than buckets. I think they're preferable to ziplock bags.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Dry grains were recovered from King Tut's tomb and found to be perfectly fine. Seeds even sprouted and grew just fine. At least twice that I know of, grains have been found in Egypt and eaten and worked just fine. Tomb robbers dug up tombs hundreds of years later and ate the food during lean times. No mylar and no oxy absorbers. Clay pots. Olive oil was also recovered in Tut's tomb that was perfectly edible.

There was a show on the history chan that discussed old style preservation methods. They showed thousand year old rice, wheat, corn, olive oil, honey, a 150 year old smoked ham (found hanging in an abandoned and weed overgrown smoke house), two hundred year old kraut/kimchi, 600 year old oil and wine from a ship, two hundred year old tea and crackers, canned meat and veggies and bagged cornmeal from the Civil War, frozen mammoth, frozen pygmy horse etc etc etc.

People have lived for a *long* time without mylar and oxy absorbers. People lived for a *long* time without the hightech crap knives and equipment a lot of folks swear you can't live without, too (had to stick that in there lol).

I store my rice and beans in reused plastic coffee containers and empty drink bottles. Have for ages. *Never* had a bad bowl of rice or beans yet.

rich

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Ive been storing mine in soda and juice bottles. I would think they are a little better for blocking out oxygen. next time I get some dry ice for whatever reason, I will use it to push out the oxygen before sealing. Ive only been prepping for about 6 months so I can only give you an idea, nothing definate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts