Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know a lot has been said about this but I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me.

I currently own a .22 rifle (lever action, made by Browning) and a .243 Winchester.

I'm happy with both of these two. What should my next gun choice be? Any suggestions what would be my best choice for a 3rd gun?

Thanks for you input!

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Handgun. Asking what kind is like trying to herd Dachshunds or cats. You might go to the Firearms General Discussion to get some ideas...although you'll get some here too.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
id say a 12 gauge or a handgun or flintlock rifle would be the best choice to give you a balanced selection

butit all depends on what your wanting to use this new firearm for what do you forsee your use of your third weapon

·
Combat Veteran
2,275 Posts
I agree with Farmer john a good handgun like a .357 4" revolver/or a semi-auto pistol in a common caliber and a 12 gauge shotgun. Should round out your collection nicely.

·
I'm your huckleberry
264 Posts
Apply for a concealed carry permit and get a handgun you will carry ALL THE TIME. Even if it is a .22 pea shooter in your pocket. What good is a hand cannon if it sits at the house because it's too big to carry ALL THE TIME. I wear a black leather fanny pack specially made for concealed carry with a 9mm Glock and a few extra magazines. But I carry it ALL THE TIME. Everyone who looks at me knows I'm not carrying loose change and chewing gum in it. Some immediately say "you've got a gun in there" but I don't care. As long as it doesn't print, I'm within my right to wear a fanny pack even if they "know" it is a gun holster.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You're pretty vague about what you need. It's like saying "I need mechanic tools, what should I buy?" Logical follow up question will be "what're ya working on". So. What're ya shootin'? You know this thread will get hit hard with replies telling you to buy what they bought, cuz they're the smartest SOB's on the board.

My Suggestion? Read.

Heres a start: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob114.html

Not much tacti-cool there, but a bunch of information lots of people have paid big bucks for to hear in person.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
The GI Joes will be along shortly to try and convince you that only military guns can be used for survival. So I'm glad to get my reply in this early.

But I'd say you have a pretty well rounded start already. I'd add a decent shotgun and a self defense pistol to the collection. Depending on your location, a high powered pellet rifle might come in handy for quiet small game hunting and super cheap target practice to keep the skills up. If you're rural, it would probably not be of much benefit to you.

·
Simply, an AMERICAN...
5,477 Posts
--A 12 ga (will cover squirrels, dove, deer, and other small game with a variety of "shell/slug" ranges, if SHTF)

--A .45 pistol (I highly suggest, a Springfield Armory XD--13 + 1 rounds)

You have a deer rifle, and a .22, so this should round you out perfectly, if there is such a thing as "perfectly".
(Get also an AK-47 in there, eventually) :D:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Walther P22 - unitarian quality but small enough to conceal 24/7 - 24/7 - 24/7 - 24/7 cause if you ain't got it when ya need it - bend over.

Pump action 12 guage w/lots of 00 buck & #6 shot.
MBR - M1A/Garand as a first choice then maybe an ak?/ar15.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
IMO, good choices for rifles would include: .22 bolt action, .308 or .300 Win Mag bolt action, .223 AR variation. I prefer these calibers because it's very commonly used by LEO and Military; and may be more common to find or scavenge.The .22 ammo can be purchased and stored/ported in large volumes rather inexpensively.

A good 12ga shotgun for home/bol defense: Rem 870, Mossberg 590, Winchester 1200. I like the Remington 1187-P, too.:)

Handguns: I prefer a 9mm semi-auto for defense (Manufacturer of your choice). 9mm because of the potential availability of ammo. I'd also have a good .22 handgun. I prefer the Ruger MKIII Hunter. I also like a large cal. handgun; the Ruger Redhawk was always one I liked. You can scope it out nicely.

Weapons are tools and most often personal choices that depend on one's intended use and environment.

·
Troll Hunter Extraordinai
333 Posts
Ever notice in the western novels and old movies ever sheriff was fast with his six gun, and ever deputy was standing by his side with a double barrel.

You a sheriff or a Deputy?

But then ain't nothing wrong with a car 15 but like the guy said earlier BR are not required.

I keep either marlin 883 in .22 mag, or a Marlin 336 in 35 remington around most the time depending on the time of year and my intent.

this is usually in the seat when I go anywhere..

http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/details.cfm?image=RR22MB3BH_lg.jpg

http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/department.cfm?id=1810

·
The War to end all Wars
623 Posts
I would go with a shotgun. I would suggest a 12ga pump. There are a number of good models available. Get something with either 2 barrels or multiple chokes. I would look for a cylinder bore and an modified or full. A handgun shouldn't be a problem in Utah. I would suggest a 22 because to effectively use a handgun is going to require practice, lots of practice. In reality the practice statement applies to all guns and most of your other survival skills. 22s are relatively cheap to shoot and can share ammo with your Browning. After these the list becomes highly individualized so it is difficult to make a valid recommendation.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Either a 12 gauge shotgun (mossberg 590 or Remington 870), or a handgun , whichever you get the best deal on first. Then buy the other one when money becomes available.

I would also get some type of MBR in the future, but that should be last on your list, sks, ak 47, ar 15, etc.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,657 Posts
I suggest a defensive handgun. If possible try out a few of them built by the better manufacturers. Handgun fit is highly personal and I don't know which one you will like and shoot the best.

I normally recommend a caliber that starts with 4. But my wife could not/would not try a larger caliber, so I bought her a 22 mag.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As others have mentioned your lacking in shotguns and handguns. For me I would either go with a 9mm such as glock, springfield, etc. or a .357 like the Ruger GP100. Accurate, easy to find ammo and easy manual of arms. As far as a shotty, the Remington 870, mossberg (which I don't like, but they work), or Ithaca in 12 ga. would be my next choice.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts