Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southeast Texas lakes area is packed with boats, camper trailers, RVs, jet skies.. everything under the sun. Just about every truck has something being pulled behind it. Public boat launch at Lake Sam Rayburn was packed all the way out to the road - this was probably close to 100 trucks.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. But then again, people from all over are coming to the rural areas for Memorial Day weekend.

Local Dollar General store had dollies stacked full with toilet paper.

Shelves full of canned meats, veggies and fruits.

Shelves packed full of paper plates and paper towels.

It is as if things are back to normal.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Same thing here in ny
There where 300 people in home Depto today.
They where there with there kids , we should know some thing in a couple weeks.
I’m not backing down yet.
I now a lot of people that have been sick a few died .
I hope things go back to normal but it’s not likely

·
Registered
652 Posts
Protective quarantine did its job and is now outliving its usefulness. The people aren't so far gone that they are going to continue to kowtow to liberal Democrats and their irrational attempts to control everyday life.

There is zero risk of passing on the virus - even if you are actively infected - when out on the lake or 50-100 feet away from the next campfire. Droplet infection is not airborne; this is not weaponized Anthrax and doesn't float o the wind despite what the self-styled experts armed with nothing more than a CPR card would have us believe.

RR

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,626 Posts
Southeast Texas lakes area is packed with boats, camper trailers, RVs, jet skies.. everything under the sun. Just about every truck has something being pulled behind it. Public boat launch at Lake Sam Rayburn was packed all the way out to the road - this was probably close to 100 trucks.

I am not saying this is a bad thing. But then again, people from all over are coming to the rural areas for Memorial Day weekend.

The virus is like a rattlesnake we smacked in the head with a shovel. We stunned it, but It's not dead, it just lies there in the tall grass, waiting. If we were smart we would cut its damn head off.

But until we get a vaccine, and can really hurt it, at least dont take foolish chances, dont walk bare foot in the grass.
If the virus mutates and learns to kill before we get a vaccine, this thing may still destroy modern society.

·
Grevcon 10
13,069 Posts

·
Awesome
16,786 Posts
I wish some of you would make up your minds. Sometimes you're whining that nobody is social distancing, wearing masks, or otherwise not living in fear, or you're trying to tout lockdowns, social distancing, and mask wearing as the reason the death toll is very far off from the initial predictions that have been floating around here.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,005 Posts
I wonder how much risk there is in going to a remote campground if the sites are fairly far apart? No water. Grills, tables, and pit toilets, all of which are easily avoided. The only item I'd use would be the bear box which could be sprayed or wiped.

I had to cancel a good camping/road trip when this stupid virus spread. It would be great to get away for a few days, but it's not "essential."

·
Grevcon 10
13,069 Posts
I wonder how much risk there is in going to a remote campground if the sites are fairly far apart? No water. Grills, tables, and pit toilets, all of which are easily avoided. The only item I'd use would be the bear box which could be sprayed or wiped.

I had to cancel a good camping/road trip when this stupid virus spread. It would be great to get away for a few days, but it's not "essential."
Has someone been where you're going to be within a timeframe before you were there that the virus could survive?

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,602 Posts
Oh no....nooo.......NNNOOOOO!!! We can't possibly open up until at least.....LOL. If the liberals had their way, we'd stay closed until next Christmas. And then only maybe.

By now I'd think it was pretty effin' obvious there's way more going on than a damned virus. Here's what I know.

According to the CDC (yeah I know but its better than listening to CNN) the entire dang Country peaked and declined during Apr/May. Yesterday Dr Birx presented what they had so far. Lots of pretty pie charts, graphs and struff. Color, even. Well guess what, all those whiny States Like Michigan, Washington, Oregon and others that are even now lengthening their restrictions, ALL of those are "in the green". And have been for a while.

This I know from the numbers; social distancing, proper sanitation, PPE, THOSE WORK. By the numbers, comparing the data of States that never closed, those that did a little bit and those that went full-goose bozo with it, those restrictions did little to limit or contain the epidemic.

"Flatten the curve." "We have to shut it down". Remember that? They were specific then, too. It simply spread the infections over a longer period of time, the main aim was to keep hospitals from being overloaded. And it worked. What it DOESN'T DO is limit the spread or make the virus go away. That's going to happen either way. In fact. From the numbers I see from places I trust, I don't see that those "lockdowns" really did much at all. (said that already, didn't I? Might be important...) But I was willing to play along because all that was was a temporary inconvenience.

Obviously there are places in the Country with different issues, different problems. NY. DC/MD/NoVA, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Chicago. Each had specific problems to that area and the short version is a one-size solution directed by Washington wasn't going to work for everybody. Which is why they left it up to the States.

This has morphed into something political. In some States it always was that. Those decisions were POLITICAL, designed to dump the economy and win an election. They are still doing that and they will continue. They will bring this back, either actual or contrived, it doesn't really matter. You know what's coming in five or six months. If States can restrict civil rights, ANY of them simply by declaring "something-something emergency" then you don't have any damned rights. At all.

Its pretty obvious how many little tinpot dictators were out there just waiting. Now we ALL can see what they are and how far they will go to gain power. Guess all that prepper fiction wasn't bull**** after all, huh?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The virus is like a rattlesnake we smacked in the head with a shovel. We stunned it, but It's not dead, it just lies there in the tall grass, waiting. If we were smart we would cut its damn head off.

But until we get a vaccine, and can really hurt it, at least dont take foolish chances, dont walk bare foot in the grass.
If the virus mutates and learns to kill before we get a vaccine, this thing may still destroy modern society.
Yup.

That’s the thing I TRULY wish the lackadaisical* folks would at least ATTEMPT to understand. By mitigating exposure risks, folks are also reducing the probability of further mutations.

Lackadaisical* folks IMO, are all those folks going round touting “I’m fit, I’m young, I’m healthy, and I don’t care if I get this Wuhan thing.” So they don’t do anything hardly to mitigate getting it, some of whom intentionally continue with behaviors which put the rest of us at risk. House parties & such as oversimplified examples, on towards multiple shopping trips a day, daily, WITHOUT even washing hands...

·
Vampire Slayer
6,852 Posts
I take precautions, but unless my flights are cancelled, I’m going to California in October.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
"Oh no....nooo.......NNNOOOOO!!! We can't possibly open up until at least.....LOL. If the liberals had their way, we'd stay closed until next Christmas. And then only maybe."

Maybe but at least until after the presidential election. Their ideas are so awesome they have will do anything to rig a election

·
Grevcon 10
13,069 Posts
Oh no....nooo.......NNNOOOOO!!! We can't possibly open up until at least.....LOL. If the liberals had their way, we'd stay closed until next Christmas. And then only maybe.

By now I'd think it was pretty effin' obvious there's way more going on than a damned virus. Here's what I know.

According to the CDC (yeah I know but its better than listening to CNN) the entire dang Country peaked and declined during Apr/May. Yesterday Dr Birx presented what they had so far. Lots of pretty pie charts, graphs and struff. Color, even. Well guess what, all those whiny States Like Michigan, Washington, Oregon and others that are even now lengthening their restrictions, ALL of those are "in the green". And have been for a while.

This I know from the numbers; social distancing, proper sanitation, PPE, THOSE WORK. By the numbers, comparing the data of States that never closed, those that did a little bit and those that went full-goose bozo with it, those restrictions did little to limit or contain the epidemic.

"Flatten the curve." "We have to shut it down". Remember that? They were specific then, too. It simply spread the infections over a longer period of time, the main aim was to keep hospitals from being overloaded. And it worked. What it DOESN'T DO is limit the spread or make the virus go away. That's going to happen either way. In fact. From the numbers I see from places I trust, I don't see that those "lockdowns" really did much at all. (said that already, didn't I? Might be important...) But I was willing to play along because all that was was a temporary inconvenience.

Obviously there are places in the Country with different issues, different problems. NY. DC/MD/NoVA, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Chicago. Each had specific problems to that area and the short version is a one-size solution directed by Washington wasn't going to work for everybody. Which is why they left it up to the States.

This has morphed into something political. In some States it always was that. Those decisions were POLITICAL, designed to dump the economy and win an election. They are still doing that and they will continue. They will bring this back, either actual or contrived, it doesn't really matter. You know what's coming in five or six months. If States can restrict civil rights, ANY of them simply by declaring "something-something emergency" then you don't have any damned rights. At all.

Its pretty obvious how many little tinpot dictators were out there just waiting. Now we ALL can see what they are and how far they will go to gain power. Guess all that prepper fiction wasn't bull**** after all, huh?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
Well, America needs to re-open for business.
I would like to see that MIT quick test similar to a big Pulse Ox in widespread use to flag possible covid19 cases and get them tested. The test would show positive for most flu and corona virus infections, so I think it would also be a great tool to control the seasonal flu. Measuring temperatures doesn't catch nearly enough of the positive cases, but the white blood cell count seems the earliest reliable indicator and if it can be tested with this new non-invasive quick test, i think we can remain opened up, while very effectively controlling any outbreaks that develop.

If the test could be automated, it could be used at automated doors to restaurants, old folks homes, hospitals, etc.

I posted the article on the MIT test in another thread here the other day.
The test is a simple magnified viewer that allows you to see each white blood cell traverse the capillary bed in the finger.
Put you finger on the device for whatever duration needed, then you have been screened. No army of TSA agents needed.

https://www.medicaldevice-network.c...lop-new-monitor-track-white-blood-cell-level/

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts

By now I'd think it was pretty obvious there's way more going on than a damned virus. Here's what I know.

Its pretty effin' obvious how many little tinpot dictators were out there just waiting. Now we ALL can see what they are and how far they will go to gain power. Guess all that prepper fiction wasn't bull**** after all, huh?
Time will tell. If you're right and indiscriminate social mixing is OK now, congratulations. If the ones urging caution are right and going back to business and socializing as normal causes a massive spike in infections and death... Well, is your last will and testament up to date?

Those ARE, after all, the stakes.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts