Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of talk about what to have and where to go.... but when does push come to shove in regards to the financial crisis? The current whipsaw on wallstreet will take years to settle....in the meantime American businesses will have to swim in quicksand until a new system of investment can be invented to stimulate future growth. My question to the group is what upcoming financial event will be the bugout trigger and why?

A) Failure of Washington Mutual / AIG
B) Nationwide run-on-the-banks
C) Reported unemployement over 15%
D) Financial induced riots resulting in martial law
E) Financial turmoil resulting in the shutdown of wireless cell towers / internet

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd say E resulting in D.

If the internet and cell service got shut down, the U.S. population would freak out. Martial law would have to be declared.

If martial law were to be declared, that would be the sign for me. Though, I don't see that happening under the current situation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We are stocked for a hurricane right now, and what that means is a little more than several weeks. I had always thought I'd try to make it to our cabin in the mountains, but Florida is going to mean quite a trip to make even WITH the fact that we have enough reserve gas to make the trip with a few gallons left over. If martial law is put in effect we'd be screwed as per our plan, so if things get a little bit worse than it is now I am going to try and just get up that way now and take an extended vacation.

I should add that I wouldn't be losing much, and the house is paid off. I am working part time at a restaurant because my company went under about three months ago, so no worries on the job front. I don't have any bills other than utilities. Prepaid alltel cell phone (best there is. Free night and weekend, free txt, and free favorite num calling) car and truck are both older, both paid off. Both kept up to where I'd take off anywhere in either of them for the most part. I could shut off all the services to the house, pay the taxes for this year and be good to go just about anywhere provided I paid the taxes next Nov. I wouldn't have any reason to come back for the time being.

My problem: My parents live up the street. My dad has a decent paying job, and a house note. They don't want to go anywhere. My mom acknowledges a problem in this country that could go south at any turn in the road, but she says there isn't anything we can do about it. We had a lot of 'refugees' after Katrina that never went home and I don't like this area. The crime rate is far higher than a town of this size should be. I've wanted to GTFO for about oh, three months. LOL. When my job sent out the "due to economic constraints" letters I was done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd say E resulting in D.

If the internet and cell service got shut down, the U.S. population would freak out. Martial law would have to be declared.

If martial law were to be declared, that would be the sign for me. Though, I don't see that happening under the current situation.

I don't see it happening either. The government is going to hold on to the perception of the masses for as long as they are able, because they may actually be able to turn it around enough to "pass". IF they can pump enough money back in to these companies, now under gov control they can then use tax dollars and other funds to kinda bump things back into place and if people start spending money again it COULD "fix" the economy. I kinda gave my general take on things, and I know there are more things at hand than just that, but I have a habit of talking too much so I try to keep it short when I can.

Current situation scenarios have two possible outcomes in my opinion. The first being what I said above, where they just sweep it under the rug and keep on going business as usual. However, I think if they don't choose their cards right over the course of the next few days/weeks and enough people get nervous the entire system is at risk. God help us all if that happens. Thus far they've been able to pump money (from where? good question) in the system and keep it above the line. Today was a good example. Within 30 mins of close someone was pumping money in the system. It rose 2%, so while people were doing selloffs and such someone was buying. Who? Whatever the case it still managed to lose more than 500 points at the closing bell.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Within 30 mins of close someone was pumping money in the system. It rose 2%, so while people were doing selloffs and such someone was buying. Who? Whatever the case it still managed to lose more than 500 points at the closing bell.
I noticed that too. BTW... the Fed pumped $70 billion into treasuries today when the overnight rate tripled to 6% (2% is the fed target rate). Shortly thereafter the rate quickly fell to .5%. The market was heading for a complete implosion yet the federal reserve slipped in $70-billion (with a "B") and tranqualized the event. You have to admit 99% of the US population has no idea how close we are to collapse... and the Fed is performing all the right tricks to slow contagion. Bravo....Bravo... so far..

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree with you Duke.

Things are bad enough that they "could" spiral out of control, but I don't think they "will". Just yet, that is. We're still a very powerful and wealthy nation. We may be borrowing tons of money from China, but we've got loads of assets we could liquidate if/when we needed to. The U.S. government could prop up the economy for a while longer with the hope that it might get better, which it might (I always root for the underdog).

Still, I feel like we're just piling on to the house of cards, which is why I'm here and preparing. It's just that I don't think we are "there" yet., though we are certainly headed in that direction.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
financial events won't cause me to bug out its armed forces i'm worried about weather it be roit mob military or other "zombie hoards" thats when i think about bugin out but sense my plan is to bug in any way it would be hard to get me to movelest it be one of the afour mentioned things

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I guess about the only thing, as far as an ecomomical event, that would make me head out, would be uncontrolled rioting, in my area.

We have property and family, in another state, but wouldn't change anything to head there unless the home base here were about to be overrun.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We are only a wealthy nation in our minds. The entire weatlh of the nation can't pay the debts we owe, so technically we are already insolvent.
Thanks for stating this! Not many people realize or understand this. In an era of upgrading to the latest cell phone every year and buying other worthless junk with credit cards, this country is on its way to receivership to China.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Don't worry about finances. They have taken everything they can through the devaluation of property and the killing off of start ups as well as converting the stock market. Sit still and be calm. If the dollar is devalued by 50% all of your debt will be also. If the dollar is converted to the Amero currency every bit of your debt will also convert.

Be still and know God is in control of everything.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What mama bear had to say is good for me too. Besides choice D then I'd have to seriously think about it. All depends whats happening right here where I'm at. If D happened back east, say in New York then I'm staying put.

For me a BO would be the last choice. I'm ready if we have to but sure would like to stick around my home for as long as possible.

Oh I guess I'm an Innie too, lol. Thanks for the good description AWC ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for stating this! Not many people realize or understand this. In an era of upgrading to the latest cell phone every year and buying other worthless junk with credit cards, this country is on its way to receivership to China.
The national debt is $9.6 Trillion. The Chinese and their territories hold $568 billion. All foreigners hold $2.4 trillion.

We might compromise our natural resources and strategic position (e.g. 702 million barrels of oil in strategic reserve, $5,000 spent per second in Iraq, billions in tax cuts to the wealthiest U.S. companies, etc.), but the U.S. government could pay this over the short-term, if required. It would hurt, but it is not a shtf scenario in and of itself (even combined with the current economic situation).

We need some perspective on all this. This is belt-tightening. It is not shtf. Doesn't mean we shouldn't prepare, but let's not get our friends in a tizzy out buying perishable crap and unloading their savings accounts. Instead, let's look at the big picture, framed by context, and encourage them to invest in long-term infrastructure changes that will help them be more self-sufficient over the long-term.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What future financial event will be your clue to bug out?

I will stay put for as long as possible since I am in a fairly remote and rural area. What would move me would be overwheming numbers of wandering, hungry, angry hordes. I will not wait until the last minute, but will begin my move in stages, if possible, so as to have the majority of my gear available. This economic fiasco is unbelevable. But in spite of it, I feel the majority are burying their heads in the sand. Thanks for your good commentary, folks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I see the Guard rolling into town, I will most certainly bug out!! Ideally I would already be gone.. General rule of thumb: If wally world isn't open, its time to go!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts