Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the account of the collapse of Argentina "Surviving in Argentina" http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html where he mentions rice and beans are still cheap and available, but meat is not. Makes me wonder if we should be buying more canned meats and less grains for storage. This is based on a governments collapse and not a natural disaster so that could figure into the equation too.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
meat

I have been reading the account of the collapse of Argentina "Surviving in Argentina" http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html where he mentions rice and beans are still cheap and available, but meat is not. Makes me wonder if we should be buying more canned meats and less grains for storage. This is based on a governments collapse and not a natural disaster so that could figure into the equation too.
Meat is not as efficient as rice and legumes when it comes to long-term storage of amino acids and calories. It just isn't as good a "bang for the buck".
Think in terms of using meat more as a flavoring enhancement to the beans and rice, rather than as the main protein source, (piece of bacon or fat back used to season and flavor beans, for example).

Bottom line, hard-times survival will mean a change in eating strategy. Reduction of animal proteins should probably be part of that strategy.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is not so much as what is the best bang for the buck, If you can't buy it at any price then you should have stocked up on it. Many of us are thinking the economy is going to collapse and there will be complete anarchy, but in Argentina where it did there is still a sort of infrastructure where food is available, just not meat or if it is it is to expensive to afford. Don't buy what you can't use before it goes bad, rotate your stock and use it on a daily basis and buy more as you go. I for one eat much more meat than vegetables and don't want to make rice and beans my main source of protein. I also live within 100 miles of most of the Texas, Louisiana rice fields so this comes into it also. If TSHF happens there will still be food to be had, just what and at what cost.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I go by what I can't grow for what to stock up on; I can't, for example, grow wheat [although I have some rice seed that says you can grow it anywhere and it doesn't need a 'paddy' or similar growing arrangement - that's only for starting the stuff]. I can raise chickens, fish, veggies, stuff like that [we only have an acre, so we are somewhat limited].

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I go by what I can't grow for what to stock up on; I can't, for example, grow wheat [although I have some rice seed that says you can grow it anywhere and it doesn't need a 'paddy' or similar growing arrangement - that's only for starting the stuff]. I can raise chickens, fish, veggies, stuff like that [we only have an acre, so we are somewhat limited].
you can raise fish? were you gonna do the catfish in a barrel thing or what?

·
Registered
377 Posts

This is us also.

I can raise my meat animals and their feed so I don't store much for meat. My friend says I store my meat on the hoof.:) I do raise a good deal of my own grain, but not rice. I also can't raise my own olive trees in a large enough amount (I have a couple small olive trees in my green house) so I store olive oil.

My main things I store actually is oil of some sort. Fat will be the hardest thing for us to produce so my store bought storage items are usually fat sources. Unfortunately most fat sources don't store well either which is why humans crave it so much. So I go out of the way to store fat sources like oils and nuts so that we have it in times of trouble.

blt

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm stocking up on Wheat, Beans, Rice, sugar, powdered milk, salt and of course water. This is a work in progress. To prolong the shelf life make sure you add oxygen absorbers in with the grain and have an air tight seal. I'm still looking into other food storage ideas myself.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I don't think anyone said peanut butter. I love it (so thats a plus for me), and it is very high in calories, protein and fat. It also last for years in storage unopenned (not sure how many years, but I ate some 2.5 years old that tasted just fine).

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
What we have put away is Rice, beans, flour, salt , sugar, pasta, canned meat, dehydrated butter, cheese, soups, meat. Honey , peanut butter,, oats, canned and dehydrated fruits and veggies. And on and on.
We have moose walking up our road and a good fishing river 1/4 mile down the road.
Plus somethings I forgot to mention......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts