Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

I live in Canada and our growing conditions are different from many other places but the basics will be the same. If you can grow potatoes, than do so. Potatoes can grow most places. You need starch in your diet and Potatoes are good starch foods. Same with Corn. There is so much that can be done with corn it is silly. Many people grow tomatoes. Homemade pasta sauces are so great. I like spicy foods so I grow my own garlic, onions and hot peppers. Beans are easy to grow and easy to store and has a lot of food stored in in a small space. Beans of all types need a lot of water to cook them in and a lot of time and fuel. They are the best candidate for slow cooking in the sun in a solar oven. Using the sun will save a ton of fuel when it comes to beans, trust me. I like carrots, they go in stews and soups, are a great snack and my little girl loves to munch on them, so what can I say, I grow carrots. Besides my big garden for veggies in the back I have a nice herb garden in the front of my house. Foods can get boreing unless you have spices or herbs to change the flavours. My best herb is Sweet basil and my easy one to grow is Tarragon( it self-seeds and grows like a weed) so I always have more than enough tarragon. I am not a big fan of squash or pumpkins, but I do like making pies and eating the squash around thanks giving time. They store very well, at least the types I grow. You can survive on these basic foods and with things like the herbs you can trade them (or donate them to your local church soup kitchen like I do). I save the seeds and do a seed exchange every year. If you have room, a couple of fruit trees will be a big bonus to your food prep. If I lived in the south, would focus on nut trees and yummy things like avocados. Each region has it's own special things it can grow. The basics are the same everywhere. I hope that gives you a start on your garden planning. It is May here and I'm planting every day. I have a 4x4 on the front lawn that has flax and alfalfa growing. I use the seeds for sprouting during the winter months to keep the good foods coming all year round. What are your garden plans?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
green beans, spinach,carrots, tomato (5 varities), swiss chard,radishes,chives,cilantro,squash,watermelon,green onion

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I just finished my first home-grown and homemade batch of salsa. I am starting to be overrun with tomatoes and jalapenos. So when that happens, I start to can my own salsa bc I have boys that can go through those half-gallon bottles in one week. :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
According to Bio Intensive Gardening for sustainable, subsistence food production (required for a EOTWAWKI situation).
Vegetable produce vitamins & minerals.
High Cal. Roots calories from small areas.
Grains With straw calories, proteins and composting materials.
Most traditional gardens are mainly for vegetable production with only a little real calorie production as generally we get more than enough calories today. Just something to consider.

Vegetable area 10%
Asparagus (perennial)
Rhubarb (perennial) .
Endive .
Lettuce, leaf .
Dandelion (perennial)-
Parsley .
Lovage (perennial) .
Kale .
Kohlrabi
Bok Choy .
Broccoli .
Cabbage, late .
Peas, snap .
Beans, green, bush .
Onions, Walking (perennial)
Chives (perennial) .
Squash, winter .
Pumpkin .
Tomato .
Cucumber .
Pepper, sweet .
Pepper, hot .

High Cal. Roots area 30%
Artichoke, Jerusalem
Potato, white .
Parsnip .
Gobo .
Rutabaga .
Beet .
Onion, potato (perennial)
Carrot
Garlic .

Grains With straw 60%
Beans, Flava
Beans, Dry
Barley, Hulles .
Sunflower
Millet .
Oats, Hulles .
Rye .
Sorghum, Grain Popping .
Wheat .
corn, flower & roasting .
Corn, feed . (per hen)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
planted 6 tomatoe plants upside down in 5 gallon buckets, planted 6 tires with potatos,they will be 3 high each when finished. two raised beds 4X16 with beetsm one golden and one with the red beets. one box with parsnips,one with black beauty squash, one with a trellis 16L by 6"high for the cukes.one bed with green beans.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I don't see Kale on the list. It's a great summer and winter green. It can be used in soups, salads, casserols and meat rolls. It can be harvested even under a pile of snow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just finished my first home-grown and homemade batch of salsa. I am starting to be overrun with tomatoes and jalapenos. So when that happens, I start to can my own salsa bc I have boys that can go through those half-gallon bottles in one week. :)

Recipe please :D:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hybrid seeds do not breed true when the plant is allowed to go to seed. Heirloom seeds keep on breeding true, which is what you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not see hempseeds on your list. Do you know what it's qualities are in relation to the others you mentioned?

·
very very tired!
1,204 Posts
I'm limited up here by a short season and cold wet weather, but I have potatoes, kale, tomatoes inside on every windowsill, lettuce under glass outside, onions, and turnips. Plus a nice herb garden.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts