Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a taurus 698 357 revolver, saiga 7.62, rem 870, and marlin m70 22. I don't really know what would best complement my collection. I've thought about a semi handgun or possibly a bolt surplus firearm but not sure. I'm all about having beater weapons with consistent functionality. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I would go with a center fire bolt action rifle. Make sure it is common caliber .308, 30.06 etc.. Low priced surplus military rifles are usually in calibers that are available now but later they could be hard to come by. I have 2 mauser rifles in 7x57. I sporterized one for hunting and kept the other in original condition. I think one of them was only $70. Ammo used to be plentiful but know I can hardly find it at most gunstores and it is expensive. I saved all of the brass so I could reload it someday but I would need to talk the wife into a reloder (again). I guess if a surplus rifle is all that is in your price range, buy all the ammo you can. I would start with at least 1000rnds and try to build up from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have never heard of a 698 but it looks like you have everything covered but concealed carry so that might be a thought.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I'd second the compact revolver and or getting a .308 bolt gun to go with the saiga. Beyond that I'd would work on a program of getting all the above modified to you're prefrances. That or work on having you having simular weapons for each member of your family.

Rifleman 336

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
Cheap and effective eh? Ok, either supplement your Saiga with an SKS/AK for lower pricing and common caliber OR go with a semi handgun. A Glock/xD will run you a lot of cash. Consider a russian service pistol of other Euro bloc era service pistol. You can still get CZ-52s cheaply from CDNN for like $120.

I would consider a Hi-Point Carbine also. 200 for 9mm or 250 for 40 cal.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Congrats on building a solid well rounded collection! Looks like the only thing you need to round it off, cover all your bases, is a good high power rifle. Preferably one with a scope, so you can utilize the round to best of it's abilities. If you want to go milsurp, a Mosin Nagant would be your most economical choice, and ammo is dirt cheap. It is also a very good round,7.62X54 retains energy very well at long ranges, better than the .308. If you don't like any of the scope mounts avaliable for the Mosin, you can have a local gunsmith drill and tap the reciever AND mount the base for under 100 dollars. Then you have a rock solid mount and an accurate rifle, to boot. I would shy away from anything Mauser, as the worlds supply of 8mm is starting to dry up, and it may be hard to find, especially at an affordable price. This happened to me with my custom-built Arisaka. If you go civilian, get something chambered in .308/7.62 NATO. If money is not an issue, an M1a is THE RIFLE you want. If money is an issue, like it is for most of us, I can only recommend one rifle. The Savage model 110. It is economical, and whether people admit it or not, it simply outshoots the Remington 700 and the Winchester 70. Mine is in .308 of course, and out of the box, with the 3-9 scope that came with it, it shot 1 in groups at 100 yards with Wolf ammo. It does the same with any ammo I shoot through it. 1-2 MOA with surplus ammo, commercial ammo, anything you feed it, it'll shoot. I'll admit, the 110 is not going to win any beauty contests with its big ol' barrel nut and all but man, that rifle shoots.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
A lever action in .357 to go with your revolver. you can hunt with it. quik follow up shots. and ammo compatability is always nice.

but a semi auto pistol for ccw or a higher powered centerfire would do you well also.

T

·
Registered
249 Posts
i would have to second the mosin rifle. m44 is a good choice for the current price, but if you have a bit more to spend, get a 91/30 and put a monte carlo stock on it. get a good scope, get it glass bedded, and you will have an excellent long range rifle, with very good accuracy. if you have a good local gunsmith, you can get them tuned to be very very accurate. a good 91/30 should be able to be found for under 150.

on a side note, if you get them tuned the way you like, they make very good sales pieces at gunshows. i let a pair of m44's go for $600 total a few weeks ago. now i did have synthetic stocks and scopes and they were in very good condition, but if you put love into them they are great.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the ideas put forth so far...

- 357 lever action to match your taurus. Have a winchester94 to match my ruger gp 100 and sp101
- bolt action to match your saiga - you did not mention if your saiga was 7.62x51 or 7.62x39... either way get a bolt to match it, so you have a back up for the saiga and an opion for other situations.
-a CCW... last on the list because you can carry your taurus 357 with the right gear.
-well, one more for good luck.... a 22lr revolver, long barrel, to back up your 22 rifle

One thing too often overlooked is AMMO... you have a great collection already, make sure you stock up ammo (couple thousand per piece at least) for each weapon.

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like you have the basics covered. I'd go for an ar15, or if you can't find one a new mini 14, which are better than the old ones.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
AR-15, AK or SKS.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I say given your preference for beater weapons that regular trips to the local pawn shops and dealers that carry used guns will turn up the perfect rifle or semi auto pistol. Since both would be good additions to your collection. Id say leave the which one do I get first option open.

You mentioned liking your Taurus, Taurus makes a relatively inexpensive copy of the beretta 92, which is a fairly decent hi cap 9mm.

As much as I like the idea of a .357 lever action rifle to go along with the revolver, I say that might be something to consider for the future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts