Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been really thinking lately about the term "Survivalist", I think this word probably brings to mind some pretty negative thoughts to mainstream USA. I do not consider myself a survivalist in the traditional sense (BDU's, AK47, MRE's, Combat knife on my ankle, ready to kick some commie ass). I would classify myself as "prepared within reason". I have been building up essential items for what my wife and I have called our "disaster kit". We do not have 5000 rounds of 7.62 ammo, we do not have six years worth of rice, we do not have an underground bunker. We have a decided plan on what to do and where to go in case of a disaster (economic, environmental, pandemic, etc.). I guess you could say we are closet survivalists...

I can kinda see three types of survivalists on this board:

1.) preparing for TEOTWAWKI
2.) preparing for getting lost in the woods
3.) preparing for urban disaster scenario's

I am sure there are many who blur between two or even all three

I would like to hear what everyone else thinks when they hear the word "survivalist"?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I think you pretty well nailed it... We anticipate what can go wrong and try to prepare for it as best we can.

Keep in mind that just because you are not preparing for a couple months in the woods does not mean you will not find yourself in that scenario and just because you are not expecting a nuclear attack on US soil does not mean it won't happen...

I spend about 90% of my "prepping" effort on short term domestic unrest and self-sufficiency stuff (such as would occur following a hurricane), 5% on "lost in the woods" stuff and 5% on TEOTWAWKI... There is lots of cross over...

What I see in here is that the most vocal seem to be focused on hiding from the government and roving bands of scoundrels (e.g. lots of camo, defending hearth and home etc) whereas most of my preps are focused on trying to be seen/found rather than trying to hide. When the SHTF maybe I'll come up short, but that's where I am at the moment.

Allan

·
eibweN
374 Posts
AMEN to that! To me the term "survivalist" when used by the media is about as misused as the term "Christian" in the fact that it tends to classify a group of people with the actions of somebody with a medical condition of the cerebral cortex. I enjoy trying to be a survivalist by being able to go into the woods with minimal amount of gear and come home without losing too much weight or major injuries. For the media to toss words about that implicate large numbers of people who may share a common interest, with folks sending packages of whatever to professors whos work you don't agree with or armed idiots taking on SWAT teams in stand-offs or other idiotic criminal behavior is insulting, and does not describe what I believe the majority of us to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts