Survivalist Forum banner

What do you use to sharpen your knives in the field?

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  DanielW586 
#1 ·
I'm currently using the Smiths pocket pal, which is working fine for me, but I'm just wondering what other people use out in the field to see if theres a better system I'd like to use better. ( Yes I know, that there is really not to much better then a good set of stones, but thats to cumbersome out in the field)

#5 ·
Diamond

My favorite:
DMT
Double Sided Diafold® Sharpener Fine/Coarse
$41.95 Item #: FWFC
Dual purpose with compact convenience, the Double Sided Diafold® Sharpener offers two 4" x 1" Diamond Whetstone™ surfaces in one lightweight, portable sharpener. Fine diamond (25 micron / 600 mesh) for a razor sharp edge. Coarse diamond (45 micron / 325) to quickly restore a neglected edge.
http://www.dmtsharp.com/
http://theconsumerlink.com/DiamondMachiningTechnology/detail/TCL+FWFC/0

- o r-

Eze-Lap
Credit Card Stone Model 200
201 Fine Grit (600) $9.95
2" x 3-1/4" Credit Card Size Stone
Available as individual stones or in two-stone sets
http://www.eze-lap.com/product/creditcard.htm

- - -

The DMT pretty much goes everywhere with me; I also have a little 4" red that I have used for years. I also like Eze-Lap products; the credit card size fits anywhere especially in a small kit. Diamond is a must with some of the new hard stainless steels. It can take forever with a stone.

Both are made in the USA for whatever that's worth. Quality has been slipping here too and I see a lot of illegals working in factories. Then a lot of US made stuff is just assembled here from foreign components.

When things are real bad you use a rock.

For my machete I use a Nicholson 8" mill bastard. Nothing coarse, a plain single cut file. They used to be made in the US and are getting hard to find. Lowe's claims to have them but when you look they're all some off brand CHINA :taped:.

:upsidedown:

#6 ·
My favorite:
DMT
Double Sided Diafold® Sharpener Fine/Coarse
$41.95 Item #: FWFC
Dual purpose with compact convenience, the Double Sided Diafold® Sharpener offers two 4" x 1" Diamond Whetstone™ surfaces in one lightweight, portable sharpener. Fine diamond (25 micron / 600 mesh) for a razor sharp edge. Coarse diamond (45 micron / 325) to quickly restore a neglected edge.
http://www.dmtsharp.com/
http://theconsumerlink.com/DiamondMachiningTechnology/detail/TCL+FWFC/0

- o r-

Eze-Lap
Credit Card Stone Model 200
201 Fine Grit (600) $9.95
2" x 3-1/4" Credit Card Size Stone
Available as individual stones or in two-stone sets
http://www.eze-lap.com/product/creditcard.htm

- - -

The DMT pretty much goes everywhere with me; I also have a little 4" red that I have used for years. I also like Eze-Lap products; the credit card size fits anywhere especially in a small kit. Diamond is a must with some of the new hard stainless steels. It can take forever with a stone.

Both are made in the USA for whatever that's worth. Quality has been slipping here too and I see a lot of illegals working in factories. Then a lot of US made stuff is just assembled here from foreign components.

When things are real bad you use a rock.

For my machete I use a Nicholson 8" mill bastard. Nothing coarse, a plain single cut file. They used to be made in the US and are getting hard to find. Lowe's claims to have them but when you look they're all some off brand CHINA :taped:.

:upsidedown:
now I need to replace my EZ Lap with a DMT. That is something I have been wanting for awhile now. Everthing the EZL is plus one.

#9 ·
I wrote this a while ago:

Knife Sharpeners

Croc (Ceramic crockery) sticks from Spyderco or AG Russell work great--come in a little plastic base that the smaller rods fit into, weigh very little, easy to use and fairly inexpensive.

Get a small double sided stone--medium fine and extra fine--you're only touching up the blade not putting a whole new grind down so you don't need coarse etc. but a little Gerber folding round file (like below) works if you have to take a small nick down, weighs next to nothing and takes up the space of a pen.

A small pocket tone, whether diamond (great for fast cutting metal) or Natural (Arkansas or Japanese Water Stones) makes no difference...I have one in a pouch on the front of my sheath with a medium diamond and extra fine Arkansas that does all my touch up work but could regrind if necessary...Found it at some knife show years ago but have no idea who makes them...

Depending on how you're camping, hunting etc. you can take full sized stones (4"x12"x3") or you can take a smaller version--either shorter and/or thinner (2"x8"x1") but my very favourite is the medium sized Tri-Stone versions in any combination you want and with any stone type you want.--M/F/XF or VC/C/M...I've set up a Diamond med, Arkansas Fine and water stone ultra fine that one of the woodworking dealers had, I believe Woodcraft.

You can also take some sand or emery paper with you and a cut up mouse pad and use that for a final touch up.

You can also pick up a flat, river rock and use that if nothing else is available.

#11 ·
well, strictly in the field, and if your really in need, ive found a good flat piece of sandstone or other gritty rock works very well for a rough edge, then you can often fine smoother pieces for finer edges, once in a stream i found a set of 5 rocks that when i sharpened with them i was able to cleanly, and very easily, cut through 1.5 inch thick rope, rocks is where it started and are often a very good, and free, option

#12 ·
Im another one that uses coffee cups,any ceramics that is simulair to it. Ballast from alot of comercial lights, Ive used concrete. Its not hard guys. All you are doing is putting a angle on the blade. You can use so many things you would be surprised about. I actually make it a game to see what I can use.

#13 ·
I really like the Fallkniven DC4 sharpener...excellent piece!

There are a lot of good, compact options:

I really like the little Tri-Seps ceramic sharpener for the field. I also recently picked up a JRE pack strop...pre-loaded and it rolls up quite compactly. Most knives in the field just need a quick touch up for routine maintenance.

ROCK6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.