Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months now, I have been using just a dab of extra virgin olive oil to clean and oil my carbon steel blades. It works surprisingly well and is easily and readily available. Since such a small amount is used, it doesn't smell. Plus, it means it's safe to use my blades for food preparation while outdoors etc. I would not be able to do that if I used commerical gun/knife/reel oil.

Does anybody else do this?

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I use high-grade mineral oil mostly. There are food-grades available that can be used, though I like valve oil like that used by musicians, which is mineral oil and often some type of additional rust inhibitor. I'd be afraid that olive oil would go rancid like other vegetable oils. Plus, if you get enough mineral oil, you can submerge your computer in it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be afraid that olive oil would go rancid like other vegetable oils.
When I use the olive oil on the blade, I use so little, and then remove most of it, that I don't really think there's too much left to go rancid. The blade isn't "wet" afterward by any means. I have never had any weird smells/color/texture or anything on the blades.

Thanks for the comment. :thumb:

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I use a mixture of about 1 part clove oil and 10 parts olive oil that a friend of mine turned me on to. My friend owns many traditional carbon steel swords and knives that are all in leather or wood sheaths and has never had a problem with the oil going bad. Clove oil is antibacterial so it probably helps prevent nasty things from growing.

One warning, though, is clove oil has a very pungent smell. It will actually give me a headache if I use too much. Take it easy at first if you decide to try this.

·
Registered
372 Posts
For several months now, I have been using just a dab of extra virgin olive oil to clean and oil my carbon steel blades. It works surprisingly well and is easily and readily available. Since such a small amount is used, it doesn't smell. Plus, it means it's safe to use my blades for food preparation while outdoors etc. I would not be able to do that if I used commerical gun/knife/reel oil.

Does anybody else do this?

I do this as well actually. I spray a small amount on a cloth or paper towel and then wipe my blade down with the towel. as you said, no wetness shows on the blade, it is a very small amount.

I have never had a problem with the oil becoming rancid, but I also use and inspect my knives pretty often, and I clean them after I use them every time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The stuff I use is called Ballistol. It is a CLP type gun oil and it is the closest thing to a one for all wonder juice. It is a strong cleaner, lubricant and rust preventative. Best thing of all it is non-toxic and can be used as a bug repellent, anti-biotic amongst other amazing things. You can rub it all over you knife and it will clean it, protect it and lubricate the hinge. You could cut into some food right after doing this and eat with it and you would never get sick. Read all about it here:

http://www.firehawktech.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/b^index01.asp

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya i wouldnt recomend useing that olive oil,i've used it 4 my knife and multitools and after a little while it drys and turns into this black stinky gunk and its just horrid. so id recomen gun oil.
Really? That's so weird. Maybe it's because you used it on folding tools?

I have been using it on fixed blades for months in two different climates (Florida and Finland), and have had no problems/smells/etc. I don't use it to oil hinges or anything. It's more like very, very thin coating to protect the blade. The blades don't even seem oily after I am done with them. Basically, I wipe 99% of the oil off after cleaning/application, so there's not much left. Just a microscopic film I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.