Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you have loaded in you shotgun incase of a break in?
Many people have 00 buck and some even slugs… The least that is thought about is 71/2 birdshot.

Well during some testing I have seen that to protect other family members from danger of shot, you need to use birdshot. Seeing what buckshot and slug will do throw three interior walls birdshot is the way to go.

Shooting all three through sample walls the buck and slugs will go through all three and even through some outside walls.

Birdshot at such a close range say in a hallway or across a room will stay within 3 to 7 inch pattern and only go through one wall and be considerably slower and stop in the next wall whereas buck and slugs continue through and possibly into a family member.

He had birdshot loaded in the shotgun, and a OO buck and slugs on the stock incase the fight went outside.

I saw all of this on Personal Defense TV, it was a very informative show that really made you think. :xeye:

·
Registered
604 Posts
#4 bird is my preferred HD load but #2 is if you shooting out into the yard. Of course I have a stock of 00 and slug for special occasions. My grab belt has 10 rds 00 and 15 rds #2.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
At my moms house, In my Mossberg 500 12 gauge I have #4 buckshot. Over penetration is an issue there. At my dad's house with my singe shot H&R 20 gauge I use #3 buckshot and slugs on the side saddle.

Most tests I've seen recommend that if you must use bird shot, that BB or BBB really is the smallest size that penetrates enough at very close range.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Doesn't matter at all. Shotgun + close range = dead or dying intruder. What ever box of shells I dip my hand into in the middle of the night I suppose.
Good way to consider it. If you have time to select loads, I'd go for a 7.5 or 8 shot bird/target load in chamber followed by #4Buck, then 00Buck. If the first doesn't get the bad guy, then the other 2 will take care of the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Federal Premium Vital Shock 2 3/4" #4 Buck. Mainly because that is the one I get the best patterns in at the <21 feet range I will encounter in my home. I shot them all at that range and ended up with optimum lead on COM and penetration with the #4. 00 and 00 penetrated better but didn't put as much lead on target. # 4 had more than enough penetration and most lead in vital zone. This was all done in a Maverick Security 88 (short "Cruiser" barrel) BTW. As I EDC (TN HCP) during the day, the 12 gauge is mainly for night and break-in scenarios, which will be inside the house.

·
Registered
806 Posts
My own tests with plywood boards showed 7.5 still visible on the surface, not even penetrating enough to bury themselves. I would not use them even at in-house range.
#4 bird I thought adequate for inhouse use. Since I live in condo apartment, thats all I use for liability reasons (neighbours danger, etc)

for outdoors I'd go for the 00 buck.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Shotguns are widely accepted as the prefered HD weapon, however I don't see the point of blasting the sh*t out of my own home , or requiring the use of both hands to control and operate a shottie ,when I can pop off several rounds with a .45acp ,.40 cal , 9mm pistol or a .357 mag revolver. I don't keep either of my shotguns loaded for HD ,but to refocus on the original question, I would alternate 00buck /slug/00buck /slug/00buck in my mossberg mariner pump ,if it were my only HD weapon. I don't have children ,so overpenetration is not a factor for me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
#4 Buck / Slug /#4 Buck / Slug /#4 Buck / Slug

I also have a tac light and laser which makes the hip shots and low-light shots accurate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use 00Buck. In addition to the 12ga, I have a handgun for home defense. Given my home's layout, I have a clear shot of the front and rear stairs and the front door from my 2nd floor master bedroom door. All 3 fields of fire are clear of bedrooms beyond the target area. If an armed intruder tries to hide behind an interior wall for cover, the 00Buck will penetrate the wall to neutralize said intruder. If intruder manages to get closer than my predetermined areas of fire for the 12ga, I will switch to the handgun.

Walls can be patched, glass can be replaced. With an armed intruder, I'd rather need drywall mud and some paint than a casket for a family member.

Odds are that when I chamber that first 12ga round, the sound of the gun will scare away any intruder that knows that sound.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Odds are that when I chamber that first 12ga round, the sound of the gun will scare away any intruder that knows that sound."

My thoughts exactly. Unless an intruder is on some chemical substance, the sound of a pump action should make intruder soil himself. I truely love the sound of my mossy 590 :)

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I have a double 12 gauge.
I went out and tested the range from where I'd probably be while firing in my home and the distance to the intruder.
Save yourself some money. The #7 3/4 or #8 is fine. Hitting my target in the center, from 8 ft away or closer, they will no longer have a center. No more problem.
And if they are able to take off running, it will spread and hit them. Slowing them down.
Then load a couple rounds of 00 buck. Your intruder problem is solved either way.

Like you posted, I do have slugs & 00 for special occasions. But for everyday defense, I use the #8.
Besides, I can putty up tiny holes in the wall if I need to. And I hope to never have to use my gun anyway.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
1 - 20 of 278 Posts